Skimmer Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by mojo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. hit_the_gap

hit_the_gap Active Member

Hi, i am looking for a replacement skimmer for my 120-gal. I had a Bubble Magus BM series and the pump just went up a couple weeks ago. According to Bubble Magus they no longer make the replacement pump and the recommended replacement pump requires an upgrade kit that is no longer available.... so, i am looking for a new skimmer and figured i would try here first. I would like to stay in the $200 to $250 range and i need an internal (inside sump) style pump. i believe i have a medium to heavy bio-load system. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. reeftivo

reeftivo Active Member

check out the overstock for reefdynamics INS135S ($ 240.00). just google INS135S.
    they use common sicce pumps that are easily replaced down the road.

i would give you the retailer but dont want to get in trouble. I have a INS80s and it's the best performer I've used. sorry for the sideways pic. reefdynamics ins80s.jpg

3. Rcko

Rcko Member

Newb question mojo, are there any disadvantages of having a skimmer capacity that exceeds the tank size?

4. mcarroll

mcarroll Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Skimmer are all pretty similar at this function....a different pump will not make a big difference unless the current pump is literally defective.

In fact a different pump may be worse if it is not sized as well for the skimmer compared to the original.

5. mcarroll

Tunze 9410 or AquaC EV or Urchin, depending on your sump situation and preferences.

6. hit_the_gap

hit_the_gap Active Member

Thank you mcarroll and reeftivo for the recommendations. Last night i took some measurements of my sump /cabinet and while the sump footprint is fairly large (17" x 14"), the water level in my sump (11") and the measurement from the bottom of sump to top of cabinet (28") gives me some trouble. also i only have ~10.5-11" of clearance to remove the cup and skimmer when i need to perform maintenance. i used to have a terrible time getting my old skimmer out of the sump/cabinet for maintenance.

Reeftivo, i really like the reefdynamics INS135S (And the price) but i am concerned about the height of the unit (24" tall and how it requires 7" of water). i would need to add eggcragte and lift the unit 4 inches off the bottom of the sump which puts me right at the top of the cabinet. so that one is out.

mcarroll, thanks for the recommendations, but i am really trying to stay under 250. i love the AquaC EV, but have a hard time justifying the cost.

I was looking at the Reef Octopus 150INT or the Bubble Magus Curve 7. the simplicity Protein Skimmer (dc). anyone prefer one over the other? my previous bubble magus is pretty much all i know. any other suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. mcarroll

If you're cost sensitive, buying used is by far the best way to go.

I also think the EV's are the ones that will best deal with your water level in the sump.

There are a BUNCH of EV-180's on the Selling Forum (dry goods) right now. The 180 is technically a little big, but only 2" taller than the EV-120. I'd consider it.....and consider just being patient and waiting for an EV-120 to be listed. It happens. :) (Or even post in the Wanted To Buy (livestock and dry goods) section – someone probably has one. ;)

AquaC Skimmers EV-120, Urchin Pro is an old listing, but has a 120 for sale as well as an Urchin Pro, which only needs 26" total height and which would not need lifting. Doesn't look like anything on the listing was sold, so if I were in your shoes I'd probably drop the poster a note. ;)

8. reeftivo

reeftivo Active Member

if you dont mind me asking, why do you run the sump at 11 inches? is that how it's baffled?

a shorty (like mcarroll mentioned) would be the tunze 9410 and that would do the trick but those are pricy for what you get. I have one in my garage that i used for some time and it worked well.
    there are good reviews on the simplicity 240DC which may fit your bill. check out all the reviews.
    https://fragtasticreef.com/simplicity-240dc-protein-skimmer/

9. trex1712

trex1712 Member

I know this is a Euro Reef skimmer, but not sure the model. It's something like 12-14 years old. Stands about 2' tall, 8" wide body.

How do these guys compare to newer skimmers? From what I could find, these were pretty great back when they released. I'm setting up a tank right now and this one is too big for my skimmer compartment. I can move the baffles, but if I would be better off upgrading I would rather do that.

IMG_20180218_093642.jpg

10. mcarroll

I ran one of those for quite a while. Great skimmer. Is the pump still in working order? They kinda tended to eat impellers as I recall.

11. trex1712

trex1712 Member

That's good to hear. The pump works fine, I think the impeller is just a few months old. I played with it yesterday and got it in and running

mcarroll likes this.
  12. mcarroll

There's a reason that design is the most copied and the most embellished upon. :) (Unfortunately, they were so-well-copied that euro-reef and reef dynamics both went under. :() (It was not a design unique to either company, btw...just perfected with the right pump/impeller/venturi, which were all custom.....the skimmer body was more or less an H&S design as far as I can tell....but it's hard to be sure.)

13. Kal

Kal Member

Hello all, I have a 20 gallon long rimmed reef (or that is the goal) tank that I would like to put a protein skimmer on. Looking through Amazon reviews nothing seems to be worth the money. I don't want to drill this tank, and the skimmer would need to be either hob or just sit on the desk beside the tank.

Does anyone have any skimmers for this setup they would recommend? Is a skimmer necessary? I have a hob aquaclear 30 on it now and a power head for circulation. Just want to clean this water as much as I can.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  14. mta_morrow

mta_morrow It costs HOW much?!!! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Do you have any fish or inverts in the tank creating waste?

Also, what is your current nitrate reading?

15. reeftivo

reeftivo Active Member

Weekly water changes should be fine.
    You don't really need a skimmer unless you want a little peace of mind in the event you don't keep up with the WCs, or have some unforseen die off.

if you are set on a skimmer then budget would help. I've run several over the years.

mta_morrow likes this.
  16. Kal

Kal Member

Thanks for the responses. I have one clown fish and one bangai cardinal right now, test kit arriving this Friday from Amazon. Tank has been up for a week so I don't imagine nitrates are a huge issue yet.

Budget would be $100 range as I am moving into a house in roughly 6 months and will be moving these guys into a 160 gallon so don't want to go too crazy. If water changes will take care of the water then I am ok with that. Was also looking at a skimmer to help get oxygen into the water. I do have a power head creating turbulence on the surface but I'm so paranoid of the water level dropping too low maybe while I'm at work and me coming home to a water show all over my office.

17. reeftivo

reeftivo Active Member

you may find one in the drygoods/use equipment forum for <100 bucks.

a decent one, new, like aquamaxx, eshopps or even a remora will be over that range. I would give the drygoods section a try and contemplate an ATO for evaporation. You can bring the ATO over to the 160 when you're ready.

IMO you're better off with WCs. A couple gallons weekly should do the trick:)

18. ReefingReefer

ReefingReefer New Member

Hey guys so im new here and was trying to identify a skimmer hope someone can help out. Iap is all it says 20180224_175228.jpg 20180224_175213.jpg

19. reeftivo

reeftivo Active Member

my guess would be an older MRC (my reef creations skimmer).

20. ReefingReefer

ReefingReefer New Member

Thats what ive bin thinking as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted