Skimmer Q&A Thread

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if this will help but i tried Skimz Nyos BM Curve 5 and ended up with good ole RO Elite DC pump best thing i skimmer wise i owned yet

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a three stage sump, First stage is where water comes in, Second is refugium (chaeto & LR), Third is return. Should I have the skimmer in the first or second stage?

I ask this because my first stage is 2 inches higher than my 2 & 3rd stage so I feel like a lot of the nasty is falling down and going into the later stages. In fact, i can usually see a oily film layer almost on the later stages.
This is making me consider moving my chaeto and LR into the first stage with the drain and my skimmer on its own in the 2nd stage

op1.jpg Untitled.jpg

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had Nyos 160 it was a piece of crap. my old BM Curve 5 worked better than that how ever it looked like a supermodel. So i got rid of it and got
31nlwnP6GdL.jpg
best skimmer i have ever owned yet. its sitting in 9.75 inches of water and i dont think it had brake in period well i dont even think i washed it at all droped it in water and let it rip... dark stinky skim-mate and after shut down for clean up always i mean always goes back to setting . Havent adjusted it yet since the original fine tune

Interesting, I bought a 200int and can’t get the dang thing to stop leaking at the neck and produce skim. Any tips?

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the SCA 302 skimmer is ozone safe. If anyone is running it with ozone, would love to know your setup.

Shelbytwp123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I bought a 200int and can’t get the dang thing to stop leaking at the neck and produce skim. Any tips?
do you have the rubber seal ring in place? Bc that was one thing that i overlooked but once in place that thing is set it and forget it i dont even have it siting in recommended i have it in 9.75 inches of water and its still pulling nasty gunk out with np

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! So many pages so I thought I’d just ask my Q. Does anyone have experience/knowledge on co2 scrubbing via air pump => canister w/soda lime => protein skimmer air intake? I want to do this with a ghost protein skimmer so that is why I am contemplating the extra forced air.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly ready to throw in towel.... For those with Red Sea Elite series what pump speed do you run? Can't get this thing to skim consistently to save my life.

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on the Reef Octopus 150 in sump skimmer. When i go to start the skimmer it struggles to push bubbles. The only way to get it going is to pull it out of the tank for a moment or blow into the intake tube. Any thoughts? That seems annoying to need to do everyday.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does a skimmer impact Nitrate? I have been battling to bring Nitrate down in my 60 cube. Currently very lightly stocked with two Clowns , Dwarf angel and Niger Trigger.
Cant seem to get it down below 20 -50 on Red Sea Reef test.
The reason I ask about the skimmer as that I have Curve 5 which skims really poorly and I have in another thread tried to trouble shoot it with no luck.
It will skim about a quarter cup over two weeks and not able to skim wet like a prefer to do .
Also dosing NoPox and have a large amount of Marine pure as well as rock in the system.

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed an Octo 110 yesterday for a skimmer. I can't seem to get any good skim. The neck coming up towards the cup is turning green, but the cup still doesn't have any skim in it. Is there a break in period that I am missing or am I not adjusting it correctly?

Khh27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed an Octo 110 yesterday for a skimmer. I can't seem to get any good skim. The neck coming up towards the cup is turning green, but the cup still doesn't have any skim in it. Is there a break in period that I am missing or am I not adjusting it correctly?
Adjust the foam/water higher up. Just adjust a little at a time waiting like 2 days between adjustments until you get it where you want it.

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a euroreef CS180 it has been upgraded by euroreef/ reef dynamics with a ehime 1260 needle wheel pump. As anyone it’s an older deltec, eourreef or reef dynamics skimmer with the ehime 1260 knows, the replacement impellers are avalable but hard to find and ridiculously expensive, like over $120.

My impeller is not long for this world and I do not want to spend $150 shipped for an impeller for 10 year old pump body, even though it has a really cool euroreef serial number on it.

I have a sedra 9000 but it doesn’t preform as well as the ehime, not even close.

I had looked at the bubble blaster and while I’m sure it’s a better quality pump than the sedra, I’m Not convinced that it will preform as well as the ehime.

Another option I was looking at is ther is a guy in Poland 3D printing needle wheels for jebo DC return pumps but they are largely unproven and avalability seems spotty.

The option I am leaning towards is a varios 6S but it has a 1 1/4” output that I would need to adapt to my skimmers 1” input.

Any other options that I’m missing?

Kayzah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I've just received my DELTEC protein skimmer. It's quite a daunting piece of equipment.

I wanted to what is this red knurled-screw is for?

and what is that for?

Thank in advance.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does a skimmer impact Nitrate? I have been battling to bring Nitrate down in my 60 cube. Currently very lightly stocked with two Clowns , Dwarf angel and Niger Trigger.
Cant seem to get it down below 20 -50 on Red Sea Reef test.
The reason I ask about the skimmer as that I have Curve 5 which skims really poorly and I have in another thread tried to trouble shoot it with no luck.
It will skim about a quarter cup over two weeks and not able to skim wet like a prefer to do .
Also dosing NoPox and have a large amount of Marine pure as well as rock in the system.

Almost not.
Stop battling.
That's not a large number of fish, but it could be a fine load for a little 24" cube.
Stop chasing numbers.
Switch skimmers, or perhaps speak to the manufacturer to see if they can help.
Stop/remove all the extra filtration as it's not going to help. Get down to just live rock and protein skimmer.

PM me if you have a thread on this (or just want to continue in PM), but my guess is that your system has no phosphates and that is preventing nitrates from being consumed.

Any thoughts or comments the AquaC EV series

Fantastic skimmers. :)

Back