Skinny Rainford Goby?

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rainford Goby little stomach seems to be sinking in :( whenever I feed LRS Reef Frenzy, he pops out and swims around, but I have yet to see him physically take a mouthful of food. I see him pick at the rocks and sand.

Any other options here? If I seed the tank with copepods will he eat them? I don't mind the cost of seeding with copepods if it means the little guy will start eating.

I don't see myself catching him, but if I did, would tossing him in my 8 month old 29g be any better?

First pic when I got him (2 weeks ago).
Second pic today. I think the black background accentuates it, and the sand in the first one probably hides it a bit, but still...
IMG_3167.JPG
IMG_3720.JPG

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else have you tried feeding? Adding pods could only help.

I added half a bag of "AlgaGen ReefPods Tisbe Live" about a week and a half ago. Never really saw any pods flourish in the tank. I'll put a full bag of them in tomorrow night.

I've fed frozen mysis, sinking pellets, Reef nutrition ROE, and the LRS Reef Frenzy.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, you're definitely putting the effort in, can't fault you there. Searching on google reveals tons of people have trouble keeping these guys alive. Some hair algae would probably help too, not much you can do about that though.
Hope you have luck with the DIY feeder.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, you're definitely putting the effort in, can't fault you there. Searching on google reveals tons of people have trouble keeping these guys alive. Some hair algae would probably help too, not much you can do about that though.
Hope you have luck with the DIY feeder.

Unfortunately LFS told me these were a good choice for a 10g. A quick search also told me the same, so I went for it. Got home and did a bunch more research and came up with what I'm dealing with now :/

I always try to make sure fish will be happy in my tanks, and I have yet to lose a fish. Really really want this little guy to start fattening up.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the 10 gallon part is fine, I think its meant for a more mature tank though. How long has your tank been running?
Trust me, everyone here wants him to fatten up too. Hopefully someone more experienced can provide some information. It does look pretty skinny.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the 10 gallon part is fine, I think its meant for a more mature tank though. How long has your tank been running?

About as new as it gets. This was my first fish in this tank. Up for two months. Two hermits and 4 snails. I have a 9 month up 29g as well which is pretty much fully stocked. I have quite a few bottom dwellers in that tank so I don't want to toss this little guy in there.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About as new as it gets. This was my first fish in this tank. Up for two months. Two hermits and 4 snails. I have a 9 month up 29g as well which is pretty much fully stocked. I have quite a few bottom dwellers in that tank so I don't want to toss this little guy in there.
Understood. Hopefully your efforts pay off.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get hold of some green hair algae?

From what I understand, Rainford's are a big fan of skinny veggies . . .

~Bruce

Unfortunately my other tank has zero green hair algae. Is there a way to get a little going in this tank?? Is chaeto a good option to add and get some pods going?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my other tank has zero green hair algae. Is there a way to get a little going in this tank?? Is chaeto a good option to add and get some pods going?
Maybe a local refer has some? Add nitrate or phosphate for the gha can use to grow and add the gha in? Have you tried adding garlic to the food?

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a local refer has some? Add nitrate or phosphate for the gha can use to grow and add the gha in? Have you tried adding garlic to the food?

Have not tried garlic yet. May be trying that tomorrow in addition to picking up some pods and chaeto. Just put a little seaweed in on a clip tonight. So far the hermit crabs have been having a ball with that...

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I went and picked up some rubble, 8 ounces of pods, and some bacteria seed to help these little guys along.

Dosed the seed, put some rubble in one corner in the back. I also put some around the front of the tank because I think it looks good and I think my watchman Goby will like it.

I took my long baster and did a few squirts all around the tank, then I directed about 90% of them directly into the little rubble corner. Lights are off and I'm going to keep my return pump off for 15 mins or so. Let's see how this goes!
d57c0b658845d95296323d68c94372ea.jpg
i
e0bf4b25a3708d20bd56cacefe95797e.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please update when you see him eat.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have an idea of how long it would take to start seeing a difference in his little belly?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back