Skinny Rainford Goby?

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They defiantly like algae/hair algae. Ask a local reefer for a small rock with Alfa on it. Let him eat, then return the rock for another one.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have any issues with my YWG eating...
87be313100c3d34276327869025f4884.jpg

He also likes the new rubble
a64fdadb4b56d539c88dcc79effd9b3e.jpg

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4fda31ddc472ff6c78b44ef5a55a0a36.jpg
0a0487d2aad5f2fbf5c3f8a2d568fcb2.jpg

Maybe looking a little better? I've added 16 ounces of copepods and have been soaking both LRS reef frenzy and ROE in garlic before feeding.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen him eat?

Haven't seen him actually pick food out of the water column. But as soon as everything settles he goes crazy all over the rock. I'm also hoping that the amount of pods I've added are helping (LFS had 50% off live pods this weekend).

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're going to have to add a lot of pods. your tank looks so new and practically sterile. you also will need to add enough pods for a self sustaining population for the long run. your best bet is to add mature rock from other systems that have incredible pod populations and hope to transplant those mature pods into your own tank. i would go for rock from grow out systems or sumps where they've been there forever and there are no predators.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're going to have to add a lot of pods. your tank looks so new and practically sterile. you also will need to add enough pods for a self sustaining population for the long run. your best bet is to add mature rock from other systems that have incredible pod populations and hope to transplant those mature pods into your own tank. i would go for rock from grow out systems or sumps where they've been there forever and there are no predators.

I may ask my LFS if I can buy any from their sumps. I know IM makes a fuge basket for the back chambers, would this be a doable idea?

LBehr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like rainsfordis a lot but had to give up on them because I have tried 3 with no long term success. Even in an established tank I've had a hard time keeping them fed.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like rainsfordis a lot but had to give up on them because I have tried 3 with no long term success. Even in an established tank I've had a hard time keeping them fed.

Yeah, I'm worried about losing him :( I would hate to try and catch him and stress him out taking him out of his little home to go back to the LFS, especially if they are just going to sell him to somebody else with a newer tank.

If anybody local to the Cary NC area has a very established tank or has success with these types of fish wants him, I would donate to you for free.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he looks interested in the food but never eats this is classic symptom with that concave belly that he was caught with cyanide poison. Hope that is not the case. Let us know if the little guy survives.

BryGun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a Rainford goby for quite a while that started off skinny but my tank had a large amount of pods running all over the rocks and glass that he would eat. Later my tank got GHA and I would watch him pick at it along with sifting through the sand and snatching point of sale off the glass and walls. The pods eventually diminished because it is only a 29 gal tank and I got rid of the GHA with Tiger Trochus snails. I would buy live brine shrimp at the LFS and he would eat those like crazy. 2 weeks went by without me being able to pick up live brine shrimp and he ended up passing away :( Those are the 3 main things I saw mine eat. If you can get your hands on live brine shrimp, I would go that route. It just needs to be on a regular basis.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think he's looking better [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360] couldn't get a great pic this morning but you can see his belly at least. Not looking as sunk in.
3cb58c373cf1a737f690817dfe72e3aa.jpg

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on vacation to the Dominican Republic for 4 days, came back and can't find the little guy :( no ammonia or nitrate alike though and no body found. If he's under the rock dead :( is it possible for there to be no spikes in such a small system?

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any cleanup crew at all, they likely made short work of him.

Sorry for your loss - they're charming fish, but can be difficult.

~Bruce

All I have is two hermits and 4 snails. Could they have gotten rid of him that quickly? I guess he was a pretty tiny fish :( sucks if I lost him. I've never lost a fish before and feel bad for purchasing him simply under the LFS guidance. My tank simply wasn't ready for him :/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back