Slice of Ocean Build - 48g Fiji Cube

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be the opposite here, i dont think i could live with the scratch. Were paying these guys good money, we expect perfection. Or maybe i have to high of standards.

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be the opposite here, i dont think i could live with the scratch. Were paying these guys good money, we expect perfection. Or maybe i have to high of standards.

I don't disagree really but rather it's just something I can live with. I don't think their prices set my expectations of very high quality or high end so I can deal with a imperfection or two especially considering it's shipping from the middle of the country.

I do expect some level of what I order actually making it to me in less than a month though :rolleyes:

ladz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple photos. The second pic is of bottom pane where it meets the front corner of the aquarium. I personally feel like the things I found aren’t really acceptable to find when receiving a brand new item of any kind.

Attachments

• 79404502-18A5-4840-B44C-823D538EFDAD.jpeg
    79404502-18A5-4840-B44C-823D538EFDAD.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 7D6FBE07-CF62-4CD1-BC73-D53DC0D8C5DC.jpeg
    7D6FBE07-CF62-4CD1-BC73-D53DC0D8C5DC.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple photos. The second pic is of bottom pane where it meets the front corner of the aquarium. I personally feel like the things I found aren’t really acceptable to find when receiving a brand new item of any kind.

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I agree and am going to be pretty strict with them about this sort of thing given everything that has happen up until the point in which I hopefully get my tank.

You mentioned you have the same tank I ordered? The 48gal INT? If so can you by chance provide the inner cabinet dimensions for me?

ladz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I agree and am going to be pretty strict with them about this sort of thing given everything that has happen up until the point in which I hopefully get my tank.

You mentioned you have the same tank I ordered? The 48gal INT? If so can you by chance provide the inner cabinet dimensions for me?

No problem. Inner dimensions are roughly 28.5L x 22W x 29 1/8H. You do lose about 3/4” all the way around for these little brackets if you chose to install them. I did on each panel top and bottom.

I do wish it had a little more height to the stand as it would give a little more flexibility for plumbing options (elbows vs 45s).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 188
OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Inner dimensions are roughly 28.5L x 22W x 29 1/8H. You do lose about 3/4” all the way around for these little brackets if you chose to install them. I did on each panel top and bottom.

I do wish it had a little more height to the stand as it would give a little more flexibility for plumbing options (elbows vs 45s).
Thank you so much! I tried to confirm 3 times now with FijiCube the inner dimensions to make sure the bigger Fiji 24 sump would fit still.

Do you mind posting a photo of the back part of the cabinet where the return connection is? I have a drawing going and could start planning the equipment section if so which would be awesome over the weekend. Would greatly appreciate it!

ladz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I tried to confirm 3 times now with FijiCube the inner dimensions to make sure the bigger Fiji 24 sump would fit still.

Do you mind posting a photo of the back part of the cabinet where the return connection is? I have a drawing going and could start planning the equipment section if so which would be awesome over the weekend. Would greatly appreciate it!

I did inquire with them that the 24 sump would fit and they did say yes but you would have to put the ATO reservoir in front of the sump inside the stand. I can provide pics later today. You just want one of the plumbing coming from the bottom or just a pic of the entire sump area?

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did inquire with them that the 24 sump would fit and they did say yes but you would have to put the ATO reservoir in front of the sump inside the stand. I can provide pics later today. You just want one of the plumbing coming from the bottom or just a pic of the entire sump area?

Good to know. I ended up going with the larger sump and am just going to do my own plumbing so I wont have the ATO. I hopefully will be having a new shipment sent on Monday for delivery next week so I want to spend some time this weekend going through and planning out a section above the sump that can house my Apex and other electrical equipment. A photo of how the overflow exits the bottom of the tank and any areas where something might block a bit of that would be a huge help. Thanks so much!

ladz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I ended up going with the larger sump and am just going to do my own plumbing so I wont have the ATO. I hopefully will be having a new shipment sent on Monday for delivery next week so I want to spend some time this weekend going through and planning out a section above the sump that can house my Apex and other electrical equipment. A photo of how the overflow exits the bottom of the tank and any areas where something might block a bit of that would be a huge help. Thanks so much!

There’s not much too it. Spacing is tight and I’d imagine you have to do plumbing similar to mine or just use more 90 deg elbows for the emergency drain. There wasn’t enough space for using two unions on the drain lines.

For me plumbing it this way allowed me to keep it as far back in the sump as I was comfortable with. I did leave a bit of space in the back where I could at least stick my arm in the back to grab anything easily that may have fallen there.

I’m guessing the best bet for controller mounting would be either panel above the sump area. I’ve considered moving my hydros into the stand but right now I’ve repurposed an old ikea cabinet to hold everything next to the tank. Or perhaps a sliding panel that holds everything next to the sump would be nice.

Attachments

• BCF1814C-FF0B-45C2-85E8-3E3698C64AA9.jpeg
    BCF1814C-FF0B-45C2-85E8-3E3698C64AA9.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 166
  • BFFEDFB4-17AF-464C-98EC-E368C0811B70.jpeg
    BFFEDFB4-17AF-464C-98EC-E368C0811B70.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 148
  • DA615433-BC54-488D-B076-6AD62CAED578.jpeg
    DA615433-BC54-488D-B076-6AD62CAED578.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 156
OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not much too it. Spacing is tight and I’d imagine you have to do plumbing similar to mine or just use more 90 deg elbows for the emergency drain. There wasn’t enough space for using two unions on the drain lines.

For me plumbing it this way allowed me to keep it as far back in the sump as I was comfortable with. I did leave a bit of space in the back where I could at least stick my arm in the back to grab anything easily that may have fallen there.

I’m guessing the best bet for controller mounting would be either panel above the sump area. I’ve considered moving my hydros into the stand but right now I’ve repurposed an old ikea cabinet to hold everything next to the tank. Or perhaps a sliding panel that holds everything next to the sump would be nice.

Thank you so much! This is a huge help!

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can
No prob.

I meant to say I couldn’t get two unions on each drain line closer to the bulkheads (aquarium side and sump side) due to spacing. I clearly have two unions on my my drain lol.
You post a FTS?. Im interested in seeing this tank.

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did what was probably the most daunting aspect for this tank over this weekend; I ran the ATO and AWC lines to their required locations. Im 99% done with it but will be doing a bit of touch up work once I can get everything running and confirm nothing needs to be changed.

Also wanted to start documenting with photos even though I don't have the tank yet. On that front, FijiCube should be shipping me a new tank on Monday the 10th now that the original shipment is clearly lost. Hoping to have it in by Thursday before I head out of town for the holiday weekend next week.

Picked up a Neptune Sky from R2R marketplace with an Ecotech mount. I might switch to the suspended mount eventually for this will work just fine for now.

TankLocation.jpg
Some of the equipment patiently waiting. The tank will go directly next to the desk on the right side and the Peloton is getting shifted a bit to clear up some space. You can see the 3 lines I ran for the AWC and ATO systems. 1 line runs about 15 feet to the bathroom the next room over for the AWC drain. The other two lines run about 10 feet to the closet in my office where the storage containers are.

LiveRock.jpg
About 35 pounds of MarcoRock, already epoxied into two separate towers. They have fully cycled at this point so continuing to dose ammonia to feed the bacteria and doing bi weekly water changes to manage Nitrite and Nitrate. Might be switching to just throwing a shrimp in there to support it with less oversight.

ATO-AWC.jpg
And finally the two 30 gallon ULine drums holding fresh saltwater (top) and RO/DI (bottom). They hold roughly 27 gallons each due to where the float valves are placed. RO/DI runs from the bathroom on the other side of the closet wall into each container. I have 3 valves to control which tanks are being filled and of course two lines that run to the tank of ATO and the AWC systems. I am going to clean them up a bit (and the dirty wall) once the tank is here and set up. The top container already has mixed saltwater for supporting the water changes on the rock that I am cycling but once the tank is set up I will probably mix salt into both and use them both to fill the tank quickly.

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyword on your tank?

i was just waiting for this past Monday when I was supposed to have a new shipment sent. I hit 3:50 PST before needing to email FijiCube. They apparently wanted to ship my new order with a new freight company but scheduled the pickup with the freight company that lost my original order. So Tuesday my tank was picked up and I have a new tracking number.

Estimated delivery of the new tank is the 19th but the new freight company has just shown a delay due to weather since the day it was picked up so it might be after that.

I am excited for this build but this has been such a debacle.

On a better note, my Neptune Sky is here now so I should have everything but the Dos for my AWC system.

Kimosobey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the issues you're having with Fijicube. My experience with them has been surprisingly good. So I ordered my tank on 12/14/21, it shipped on 1/3/22 and arrived on 10 days later not damaged. I guess it can be a consistency issue.

Can't wait too see your tank when it shows up! I like the dimensions of the 48gal

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the issues you're having with Fijicube. My experience with them has been surprisingly good. So I ordered my tank on 12/14/21, it shipped on 1/3/22 and arrived on 10 days later not damaged. I guess it can be a consistency issue.

Can't wait too see your tank when it shows up! I like the dimensions of the 48gal

What tank did you end up with? Any minor defects like others have mentioned here?

And yeah, it’s not been ideal but assume it’s just a bad luck thing and not reflective fully of either FijiCube or the freight company, just a storm of events and policies that unfortunately impacted me in my purchase.

FijiCube shipped a new order through a new freight carrier that is estimated for delivery Tuesday. I’m good to go on almost every front at this point and have had rock cycling for almost 1.5 months. Hoping on delivery earlier on Tuesday and the second half of the day plumbing everything. Electrical work will likely be basic to start to get things running but the following week or two will have it improving and getting buttoned up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back