Slow Growing Montipora Ideas

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lay it on me fellow reefers, which Montipora species in your experience grow slowly (assuming one starts with a healthy, well lit reef with good flow)? Scientific name would be great. Trade name or even no name with a picture is absolutely acceptable.

My searches on this topic seemed to mostly come up with reefers complaining about slow growth, or queries for fast growers. Many folks with new aquariums want growth fast. I get that. Perhaps they started with dry rock, or they are new to the hobby. Maybe they are just eager to get things going. Personally, I could enjoy just observing the life in the live rock and watching the clean up crew for a while.

I was re-reading a good thread about plating Montipora last night and it got me thinking about my 30 gallon tank (21 gallon display volume). In a nano I would prefer slow, healthy growth to constant pruning. I love the growth pattern of the Spongodes, for example, but it seems like it could outgrow an aquarium my size pretty quickly. M. Confusa and the Leng Sy Cap, on the other hand, seem to have a similar growth pattern with plating and nodules, but research shows they often grow slower. Montipora aequituberculata, similar, but with shorter nodules, also seems slower growing.

After, I started thinking in general about which are the slowest growing Montipora. I had found some slow growing Acropora threads (Oregon Tort, Purple Monster, etc.), but none about Montipora. So let us make a list. Any type be it plating, branching, dimpling, encrusting or anything in between, which Montipora corals grow slowly?

Last edited:

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowest growers for me are the Pink Smoothie Digitata , RR Crazy T and JF Beach Bum.

That being said, it seems that once they get a “critical mass” built up even the slow growers take off, especially iff all outward edges are growing.

My ASD Rainbow Phoenix took forever to get to over an inch diameter, now it is moving along pretty well.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Comparisons are also welcome. I know everyone wants fast growth which is why I am curious which Montipora grow slowly.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora of the species Danae were slower growing compared to all the other monti I had. Curious, why are you looking for slow growers?

I would say I have a good idea of what grows fast: Spongodes, some Capricornis, Digitatae. I have a small aquarium and I am not really looking to prune constantly or start a small fragging business. I am not saying I will only use slow growers in the tank, just wondering what options there are to generate ideas.

LOL, It seems like I may be the only person curious about slow growth from the searches I did. Everyone wants fast growth. That alone makes it a good reason to collect some reefer's experiences with what grows slowly.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slowest I've experienced was our sunburst capricornis. The fastest being our spongodes;)

Good to hear there are slow growing caps.

MontiFanatic402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that my sunset montipora grows uber slow. I've grown a lot of monti's in my 8 years of reefing, and have found that one to be the slowest/hardest. I haven't grown any of the higher end monti's like the Beach Bum, or Crazy T because their just too expensive.... But some day I would like to!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that my sunset montipora grows uber slow. I've grown a lot of monti's in my 8 years of reefing, and have found that one to be the slowest/hardest. I haven't grown any of the higher end monti's like the Beach Bum, or Crazy T because their just too expensive.... But some day I would like to!

Nice. Did you ever have verrucosa? If so how did that grow?

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old Unarce Orenji is probably the slowest growing monti I've ever had myself. Not sure on species though

Thanks Adam. Any others that grew slower than others?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Adam. Any others that grew slower than others?

not a lot really come to mind, off the top of my head. seems like once a lot of those encrusters hit critical mass they just really take off. same goes for digis

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to see different takes. For me the mystic sunset, rainbow, and superman are really fast... often need pruned. Elkhorn also grows quick and spreads around the tank because it's brittle and grows just about anywhere it falls, even in deep shadows. I concur on the spongodes and capricornus as well (although seasons greetings is relatively slow for a capricornus). My slowest would be the undata (Jedi Mind Trick and an un-named teal variety), digitata, and stellata. I have a cherry tree from WWC (palawanensis?) that is mid-range. Love me some Montis!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back