Small gigantea anemone help

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

As per title, I just got this small gigantea anemone (~4in across) for a month now.

When I first got it, it has more bleached areas but now has regain some brown in the tentacles, so I can say its not getting any worse.

But I'm still not too happy with how stubby most of the tentacles are - what else can I do to help it grow and color up?

My parameters and lights:
1.025 s.g.
7.5 dkh
5-10 nitrates
GHL mitras at 50% intensity

Currently I'm feeding vitalis anemone pellet 1x a week. I also tried to feed a small piece of salmon but it was scrunched up for a few days after, so I have not feed that since.

IMG_1393.jpg

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good. If you can supplement with a spot light in the 5500k-6500k spectrum it would do wonders.

Purple and Blue giganteas normally are brown with half of the tentacle tips up in a different color. Since yours was bleached before I think you just need to give it more time. Probably look great again by the end of summer.

OP
OP
N

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I previously thought the Mitras at 50% intensity looks bright but seems like I can crank up the light some more. Anyone else use vitalis anemone pellets? Any opinions on them?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat frozen sea food for human fine. Just make sure that there are no preservatives on it and that it is very fresh (not smelly). I avoid feeding mine with the gut of anything because IMO the gut is full of bacterial. Living fish/shrimp/shellfish with gut in them is one thing but dead seafood will start to spoil from the gut out. I am sure after the seafood been dead for a while, even when refrigerated the bacterial count in and around the gut will increase many folds, even in the food that is not visibly spoiled.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Vitalis and still have some. But don’t feed my anemones directly anymore. The anemones readily took them in the past.

OP
OP
N

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, looks like more lights, flow, occasional feeding and lots of patience. Hopefully it will be thriving by end of summer.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, looks like more lights, flow, occasional feeding and lots of patience. Hopefully it will be thriving by end of summer.
I talked myself out of getting one due to their lighting preference. They prefer even more than sps from what I was told.

OP
OP
N

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, its not stretching for the light so I thought my GHL lighting was sufficient at 50% intensity until I posted this thread.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, its not stretching for the light so I thought my GHL lighting was sufficient at 50% intensity until I posted this thread.
Someone posted even in the thousand plus range is good. I think they even said 2000

OP
OP
N

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i have now increased to 65% intensity, all channels on full including red and green LEDs. The kelvin rating is close to 12k according to the GHL software, but looks a lot whiter than my usual settings.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone posted even in the thousand plus range is good. I think they even said 2000
I’ve measured 1600 to max 2200 par in the last tank I had. Gigs LOVED it. In middle of summer at noon, the measurement from the sun is off chart not measurable, so 2200 is still less than the creator gives. On average right now, I measure lowest 800 to about 1600. Keep in mind, in nature they are in tidal zones, sometimes out of water getting baked by sun for hours, not that baking is good for them... but they sure know how to enjoy some bright light. White spectrum. That’s why I’ve been an advocate to add a simple cheap 5k led spot light and it makes a huge difference. All my gigs (7) get a couple spots each. I don’t feed food. Only light.

disclaimer: you can’t just jam them with light from a long period of no light. New arrivals and neglected individuals need acclimation to get to strong lighting. Increase it slowly. Jamming instant cooking light can kill them. Nothing good happens fast.

Attachments

• 2415525C-0F2A-47CE-9CA2-BBFF54083FAB.png
    2415525C-0F2A-47CE-9CA2-BBFF54083FAB.png
    481.5 KB · Views: 52

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back