Smat farms led from Amazon

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in trying these. Anyone open them up and see if led can be replaced to change the spectrum? Any long term issues yet?
So you can program it.. BUT I WANT MORE.. Sorry So this is a “new” Tank when you look the images..

I went with this LED knowing I would probably upgrade the light …

tank is L:30x W:24 x H:20

Whites are important to me as I am not a big fan of windex. But don’t want them running all the time. I would love to have just a bit more control.

I opened it up to see the guts.

IMG_1259.jpeg
IMG_1260.jpeg

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to see if it was possible to do something like this...

jor8888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running 0 50 50 50 0 10 still brighter than my old cheap led light, my corals dont extend as much as before. Waiting for someone to come out with real par reading. With 0 50 50 50 0 10 its only using 22 watts, 0 75 75 75 0 10 its only using 34 watts.

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to see if it was possible to do something like this...

Let me get ahold of what documentation I can and try to dig. I see most units use a pulsed wave to change commands and that's what is standard with reef pi. I'll try to read a data sheet..

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using these lights for about a month. My corals seem to love the lights. Only complaint I have is once you sunset, you have one setting until sunrise. You could do a blue led at 1% but this is too bright for all night. Wish you could run that for a couple hours and then go dark.

so rating for me is light itself 10. Programmability 5.
bang for your buck 10

I picked up a Fluval aquasky I am going to setup for moonlight only, I will let you know my thoughts on that too. Even after buying that I’m way cheaper than any other light of this caliber.
I don't like this either. I have 3 lights and for a while I had the center in it's own group so that I could run it at 0 for sunset. I got tired of it and now they all run at 1.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
over what size tank?

4x3 150, also with 8 reef Brite strips , the G5 adds a nice shimmer and they look nice
I don't like this either. I have 3 lights and for a while I had the center in it's own group so that I could run it at 0 for sunset. I got tired of it and now they all run at 1.

Moonlights are a gimmick, the tank should have 0 light at might

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x3 150, also with 8 reef Brite strips , the G5 adds a nice shimmer and they look nice

Unless you wish to view nocturnal animals. But a Red Flashlight can also serve that purpose.

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone get some personal good par readings on this light yet? With different settings?

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn’t call them gimmicks. But they are aesthetics only.

I got my Fluval Aquasky setup. This is bridging the gap nicely for me. My Smatfarm sunsets at 8pm and the Fluval comes on blue only at 50% (which is very dim) and ramps down to zero by midnight. Tank is dark until 8am when the Fluval kicks on for a couple hours before the Smatfarm sunrise.

it’s nice to be able to see a little color in the tank without running that bright led on the Smatfarm all night or running it dark when we are still up and can enjoy the tank.

I also programmed the lightning feature twice a week for 15 mins. It’s kind of fun to watch. But certainly a gimmick.

so to update: the Fluval aquasky bridged the gap well that was annoying me about the Smat farm.

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t call them gimmicks. But they are aesthetics only.

I got my Fluval Aquasky setup. This is bridging the gap nicely for me. My Smatfarm sunsets at 8pm and the Fluval comes on blue only at 50% (which is very dim) and ramps down to zero by midnight. Tank is dark until 8am when the Fluval kicks on for a couple hours before the Smatfarm sunrise.

it’s nice to be able to see a little color in the tank without running that bright led on the Smatfarm all night or running it dark when we are still up and can enjoy the tank.

I also programmed the lightning feature twice a week for 15 mins. It’s kind of fun to watch. But certainly a gimmick.

so to update: the Fluval aquasky bridged the gap well that was annoying me about the Smat farm.
I knew someone who did this with a light half the size of their tank, for a proper moonlight sky aesthetic. They put it above the more open side of their tank after the main lights went out, so you could see basically just the fish

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew someone who did this with a light half the size of their tank, for a proper moonlight sky aesthetic. They put it above the more open side of their tank after the main lights went out, so you could see basically just the fish
Yes this is what I did more or less. My tank is 48” long so I got the 36” light. It’s very under powered for a reef tank but it’s also programmable so I can set times snd intensities. Basically offers a dim blue glow so you can see a little coral color and a fish or two swimming by. I’m gonna see tonight if the tank sleeps and the night crew comes out with it on.

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any body tried this light? Mine just arrived and everything other than the Mount seems fine. Wondering what the ideal settings for a 29 gallon cube would be.

@EJReefer I wanted to take this chance and *bump your thread post.

Wanted your point of view on the Smat farm light you have been using? Can you give us an 8mo. review?
What settings are you currently running?

Checking In Mental Health GIF by Seize the Awkward

Falc!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving mine... Running both whites at 20% blues at 70% the other blue and uv at 100% and green at 60%. This is a 2 month oldish sps dominant tank and all corals are encrusting and polyped out. I turned blues off so i could get pics

Attachments

• 20220307_195757_HDR.jpg
    20220307_195757_HDR.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 20220307_201136.jpg
    20220307_201136.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 156

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back