Smiddy's Reef 360 Peninsula

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry if this has been covered in previous posts but what intensity are you running your lights?

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March photos:
front.JPG

Left.JPG

BL.JPG

Right.JPG

FR.JPG

BR.JPG

ACHILLIES.JPG

Moorish.JPG

YT.JPG

Stick.JPG

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all. Fantastic pictures. Stunning reef. Can't wait till it completely fills in.
Second; what settings or camera are you using to get those stunning photos.
Thank you! Nor can I, except for the continuous fragging that would be required. I use a base model DSLR Nikon, I am also not well versed in taking photos, so the settings change almost every photo.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I WILL HAVE A MOORISH IDOL, I WILL HAVE A MOORISH IDOL, I WILL HAVE A MOORISH IDOL!

Gosh these fish are amazing. Love it, look forward to seeing more!
Moorish Idols are stunning and take some special care (mainly foods). I have been lucky enough to have him over a year and half. Get some sponge mixes, fresh clams, and some algae sheets

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish Idols are stunning and take some special care (mainly foods). I have been lucky enough to have him over a year and half. Get some sponge mixes, fresh clams, and some algae sheets
Any late picking of corals?

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any late picking of corals?
I have observed him break some tips off the acros. I am not positive, but when they slime up or send out those long streamers, is when he goes for a nip. It is only on the large colonies, nothing less than 4" in diameter. No idea the validity to the statement. Just something I have noticed.

BDavid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rds 85,
Would it be possible for you to email me at “[email protected]” I also live in Colorado and am starting a large tank build and would like to pick your brain a bit about equipment etc. and maybe see your set up.
Thanks
Bret

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had mine for 2.5 years and he really likes pe pellets. They are very hardy fish.
20220109_125740.jpg

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had mine for 2.5 years and he really likes pe pellets. They are very hardy fish.
20220109_125740.jpg

Congrats on having an idol for 2.5 years! Overall I do not think many people do well with these fish for various reasons, but some of us do.
Mine will eat pretty much anything I throw in there, but want to make sure what he is eating is nutritionally valuable.

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elegance seemed to acclimate best under low light. They don't seem to have a low limit... but definitely don't seem to like too much light. One of my favorite LPS for sure.

I have my royal gamma, true oscellaris, and orchid dottyback coming out of QT at the end of this week so time for a new batch. So how do I fit an achilles tang, powder blue and a moorish idol in a 40g breeder display....

So, any new fish in the QT tank? Pics or it didn't happen:)

Matt

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My elegance seemed to acclimate best under low light. They don't seem to have a low limit... but definitely don't seem to like too much light. One of my favorite LPS for sure.

I have my royal gamma, true oscellaris, and orchid dottyback coming out of QT at the end of this week so time for a new batch. So how do I fit an achilles tang, powder blue and a moorish idol in a 40g breeder display....

So, any new fish in the QT tank? Pics or it didn't happen:)

Matt
I located him in the lowest light area I have that would suite the needs of the elegance. Has been looking great so far.

I love the feeling when a successful batch of QTed fish has ended.
Well.... just don't think that will work... haha!

So I no longer have a true fish QT anymore, only a coral QT. It has been converted to an angel tank. Any new fish I get are and will be from a Qted source. On that note, I did receive a new show piece yesterday. He currently is in my observation tank to ensure all is well for the next few days or weeks. Once observation is complete and he is comfortable in the DT photos will be posted. Really focusing on the nutritional needs of this guy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%

Back