OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is well planned with beautiful craftmanship and of quality !!
Great work !!! Please tell me those aren't cup holders on ledge of stand. . . LOL

Thank you I really appreciate it! I have had months on top of planning for this. You should see my one note file for this build.
No they are not cup holders haha just coasters.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you I really appreciate it! I have had months on top of planning for this. You should see my one note file for this build.
No they are not cup holders haha just coasters.
I should see the file (hint-hint)

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have finished all the aquascape we can do outside the tank. Obviously it is subject to change once it is actually inside the tank. I need to install the lights before placing the rocks in the tank and approving the structures. Lights should be going in tonight and aquascape tomorrow. It is hard to visualize what it will look like inside the tank for heights as well as how it will look with SPS mounted everywhere, so bare with me.
Aquascape 6.JPG
Aquascape 7.JPG

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p:D;Drool and all those other awesome faces you can think of, sweet build man, can't wait to see the rest of your progression...

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the circles on the bar ledge?
Very clean looking set up I would also like to see how u did your ato in more detail keep up the good work

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the build so far, it looks like you have put a lot of thought and planning into it.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the circles on the bar ledge?
Very clean looking set up I would also like to see how u did your ato in more detail keep up the good work
Ha those are just coasters!

Here is some ATO information. Please let me know if you have questions!
ATO Schematic 1.JPG
ATO Schematic 2.JPG

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow moving fast. Nice scape, lots of room for corals to grow and fish to swim. What material are the panels made of? Is it wood or a laminate?

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build!! Very impressive.

What are you using for your ATO pump. I see you have your tank labeled ato out. What pump are you using for that distance??

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow moving fast. Nice scape, lots of room for corals to grow and fish to swim. What material are the panels made of? Is it wood or a laminate?

Thank you. I mean of all times to start a tank.. can't do to much outside of being in the house. Might as well enjoy my hobby.
It is a painted and coated wood.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build!! Very impressive.

What are you using for your ATO pump. I see you have your tank labeled ato out. What pump are you using for that distance??

Thank you!
To be honest I am still using my Tunze Osomlator standard pump. So far it has been great, so need to upgrade to something large until this one doesn't suffice. I used a ton of my old equipment from my old 260 and only upgraded if truly necessary as I can do that over time to keep initial cost down ( which hasn't really worked HA)

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is in. Constantly checking for leaks of any kind. So good so far. Cycle has started in the main tank, used turbo start 900 for the first time. The QT system is fully functioning and ready for is first batch of fish. Refugium will be put online this up coming weekend.

Things I have noticed so far that might need to be worked on.
1)I have two Sicce SYNCRA ADV 9.0 WATER PUMP (2500 GPH) return pumps running, the modular marine overflowbox is rated for 3,600 gph, I have a minimum of 9 elbows on each return as well as head. I currently am able to run both pump with no restrictions on the output of the pumps and have a silent overflow. I think I am pushing the limits in GPH for the overflow box. Sump is running a ton of water through it, granted the only thing currently in there that requires significant contact time is the skimmer which as everyone knows controls its own internal chamber. The display refugium is powered by a different return pump, meaning much slower contact time for those macro filters. So the question is if I should dial back the flow going into the main tank? I would absolutely LOVE to not have a power head on the front of the peninsula and currently with both returns running at full, I do not require a power head on the front pane.
2) I some how only have 5 out of 6 radion diffuses? easy fix. Ran a custom made power bar for the addition of T5's when I actually need them.
3) Return pumps are so large that I am unable to use my synergy reef baffle to lower the water level in the sump below 8.5 inches without the return section being too low in volume.
4) My oldest MP 40QD decouples the dry side almost once a day... ( yes I have cleaned the wet side and even used a brand new wet side) Factory reset yesterday.. we will see.
5) So much flow in the big tank the special grand sand still moves around a ton. ( I had to order the MONSTER 1" loc line from vivid creations in order to help adjust return water coming in, makes to much surface agitation that it splashes)
6) Debating whether to turn the lights off now for a month or just turn them off when the diatoms come..

Photos:
RT 17.JPG
RT 16.JPG
RT 15.JPG
RT 14.JPG

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The modular marine overflows have a upper flow limit based on the amount of water that can flow through the weirs. But depending on how you’ve setup the drains, that plumbing may be your limiting factor. What diameter is your main siphon plumbing? If you are going traditional bean animal, and only have 1 main siphon line and a second trickle and third emergency, then depending on diameter that would be your limit. You can try to upsize the diameter of that main siphon line, or you could turn the second drain into a full siphon as well and trickle your emergency (like a Herbie). Long way to ask, what’s the diameter of your siphon line?

NB Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the flow is great as is. I agree that you should try to not have a pump on that front pane. It makes it so much cleaner. I would leave the lights off unless you are going to add a CUC to keep the algae biomass down. Also conserves a little energy.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The modular marine overflows have a upper flow limit based on the amount of water that can flow through the weirs. But depending on how you’ve setup the drains, that plumbing may be your limiting factor. What diameter is your main siphon plumbing? If you are going traditional bean animal, and only have 1 main siphon line and a second trickle and third emergency, then depending on diameter that would be your limit. You can try to upsize the diameter of that main siphon line, or you could turn the second drain into a full siphon as well and trickle your emergency (like a Herbie). Long way to ask, what’s the diameter of your siphon line?

I appreciate the detail. My main siphon is a 1.5" drain and is handling both pumps on currently in a bean animal setup. All three pipes are 1.5" diameter.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the detail. My main siphon is a 1.5" drain and is handling both pumps on currently in a bean animal setup. All three pipes are 1.5" diameter.
Is your gate valve wide open? I’ve seen different numbers quoted, but a gravity fed unrestricted 1.5” pvc can handle around 2100 gph. So you may not have as much return flow as you think.

43A821C8-0DE0-4104-A70A-7E35B0348B31.png

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your gate valve wide open? I’ve seen different numbers quoted, but a gravity fed unrestricted 1.5” pvc can handle around 2100 gph. So you may not have as much return flow as you think.

43A821C8-0DE0-4104-A70A-7E35B0348B31.png

No it is not fully open, close but actually full open. I know I would experience a decent amount of loss but wow its over 50% per pump according to this data set.

I will just keep an eye on it for the next few weeks. I really would prefer not to turn down my returns as usage/age will do that for me already.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back