OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the flow is great as is. I agree that you should try to not have a pump on that front pane. It makes it so much cleaner. I would leave the lights off unless you are going to add a CUC to keep the algae biomass down. Also conserves a little energy.

I am going to do whatever I can to not have a pump on the front pane. I am even thinking of little excuses ( 90% of the power heads out there do not have a long enough power cord between the pump and the controllers to reach the front without mounting the controller of tank side of the wall. Currently everything routes through the wall and I want to keep it that way)

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need more flow to the front panel, can try mp60s, or even the big tunze turbelles like I’m planning. I’m with you, no pumps on viewing panels.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need more flow to the front panel, can try mp60s, or even the big tunze turbelles like I’m planning. I’m with you, no pumps on viewing panels.

That I can. No need to do that yet, but future wise I might have too.

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very very nice scape, Following this thread!,

quick question for you, has the front area without a PH accumulate any residue on the surface? trying to see what my fix can be, ATM i have a gyre at the front pane of my penninsula and i hate it!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about on the bottom pane can u put a power head their?
I have a 4 foot by three foot tank and my plan was to put it on the bottom glass as to not obstruct my views

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very very nice scape, Following this thread!,

quick question for you, has the front area without a PH accumulate any residue on the surface? trying to see what my fix can be, ATM i have a gyre at the front pane of my penninsula and i hate it!

Thank you!

I have zero accumulation of residue currently. Granted I do have 4 mp 40s scheduled to a setting where the water seems to be moved around in a circle or " side ways gyre " instead from bottom of the tank to top, 4 times a day. I will see if this continues once the loc line arrives and the return nozzles are adjusted.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about on the bottom pane can u put a power head their?
I have a 4 foot by three foot tank and my plan was to put it on the bottom glass as to not obstruct my views

That is actually a good Idea... I would need a strong magnetized PH since I have a star board bottom, 1/2 glass, then pvc on the outside of the tank and be ok with no sand there. This is good food for thought..

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to get away with no pumps on viewing panes as @this is me did with the tunes and he had them tuned down quite a bit, with the same dimensions i believe. Check out his build thread.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a stocking list in mind?

Currently ( Always subject to change) the must haves:
1) Achillies Tang
2) Powder Blue Tang
3) Ornate or Potters Leopard Wrasse
4) Watanabei Angelfish pair
5) Skunk Tilefish
6) Bimaculatus Anthias
7) Redtail Tamarin Wrasse
8) Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse
9) Regal Angelfish

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to get away with no pumps on viewing panes as @this is me did with the tunes and he had them tuned down quite a bit, with the same dimensions i believe. Check out his build thread.

Thank you for the link! He has the same Dimensions. I have settled all my returns and vortechs and I am getting the flow and the front pane need for SPS. At least when that are still small colonies.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuge is up at running!

4 fish in QT! ( 2 Storm Clowns, 2 Skunk Tiles)
Fuge 2.JPG

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just occurred to me that your QT tanks and sump are side by side. This is purely theoretically on my part, and I’m not sure how seriously I would take this, but the “experts” do say that ich and other marine parasites can be aerosolized in droplets, and recommend that QT tanks be placed a certain distance from the main system (or perhaps covered). Splashes I can understand. Aerosolization? Sounds like the Coronavirus. But it’s one of the questions that come up when some starts a thread like “ich again after going fallow??”

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just occurred to me that your QT tanks and sump are side by side. This is purely theoretically on my part, and I’m not sure how seriously I would take this, but the “experts” do say that ich and other marine parasites can be aerosolized in droplets, and recommend that QT tanks be placed a certain distance from the main system (or perhaps covered). Splashes I can understand. Aerosolization? Sounds like the Coronavirus. But it’s one of the questions that come up when some starts a thread like “ich again after going fallow??”

The plan is to seal up the side side of the QT stand. The Sump is covered already minus skimmer section. The QT will also be covered really soon as well. Picture doesn't show but I have a jerry rigged top already.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say 10' is the minimum distance to avoid the aerosol possibility. ‍♂️

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say 10' is the minimum distance to avoid the aerosol possibility. ‍♂
I know I'm probably splitting hairs here, but I don't think ich is spread by aerosol. There is substantial debate now whether the coronavirus can be spread by aerosolized transmission. The SARS-CoV2 virus is about 0.1 microns. And by definition, an aerosol is less than 5 microns (to float along air currents).

The size of an ich theront is 25-60 microns. So technically, I don't think that ich theronts are "aerosolized." I think conceptually, when people use that word, they are thinking more large droplet, kind of like a sneeze (or splash) that might carry a droplet of water carrying an theront which can infect a nearby tank. How far that has to be? I don't know...but I'm not sure how the distance of 10' was determined. Anyways, just food for thought, since we're all bored (or at least I am).

1588609987574.png

Edit: with more research, I should clarify that the 5 micron definition of aerosolized vs droplet was defined by the WHO. Non medical aerosolized definitions may vary.

Last edited:

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not here to argue either I have read the same thing you mentioned and 10' is what they say. I have no proof, experience, or evidence of this occurrence but I do believe it's possible (if an extremely remote possibility). That being said since an aerosol can be no larger than 5 microns by definition, then I suppose that's just a term used for lack of a better?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'm only splitting hairs here because if it is truly aerosolized, closing off the stand between the QT tank and sump wouldn't be as helpful. But if it was spread by droplet, physical barriers should be very effective. @rds85 might not even need to cover the QT if the barrier is there for splashes.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I'm only splitting hairs here because if it is truly aerosolized, closing off the stand between the QT tank and sump wouldn't be as helpful. But if it was spread by droplet, physical barriers should be very effective. @rds85 might not even need to cover the QT if the barrier is there for splashes.

Appreciate both @Gablami and @NautiTang information!

I am going to go with what is realistic in my situation.
I am going to cover the QT tank itself. Benefits are: Splashs, evaporation ( I do not have a ATO on the QT), Fish that are jumpers.
Wall off the side of the QT stand for accidental splash while inside the QT removing fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back