OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! If I didn't already have a yellow tang, I would probably take the white tail. I can't believe no one picked it up yet? Pintail looks great, love their colors. How many filaments are on the flasher? I think it might be a carpenters or McCoskers? Great colors, especially when they put on a show.
Nice! If I didn't already have a yellow tang, I would probably take the white tail. I can't believe no one picked it up yet? Pintail looks great, love their colors. How many filaments are on the flasher? I think it might be a carpenters or McCoskers? Great colors, especially when they

Not sure what happened above lol!

the white tail did get sold, I forgot to update my thread!
One of my all time favorite fairies is the pintail. I’m ashamed to admit how many I lost in QT and to more dominant wrasse but it’s so nice to see this fella settle in so nicely. I was a little concerned with the flasher/pintail/anthias combo but so far it’s been fine. The male anthias holds his own for the group and the additions have actually cause the anthias to stay in a group where they were starting to break off 2 and 3 before.

You’re absolutely right. He hasn’t flashed much but there are two long filaments I can see, I believe it’s actually a carpenter flasher :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what happened above lol!

the white tail did get sold, I forgot to update my thread!
One of my all time favorite fairies is the pintail. I’m ashamed to admit how many I lost in QT and to more dominant wrasse but it’s so nice to see this fella settle in so nicely. I was a little concerned with the flasher/pintail/anthias combo but so far it’s been fine. The male anthias holds his own for the group and the additions have actually cause the anthias to stay in a group where they were starting to break off 2 and 3 before.

You’re absolutely right. He hasn’t flashed much but there are two long filaments I can see, I believe it’s actually a carpenter flasher :)
Cool! Yeah, the fish looked great in the video and seem like they're getting along. I'm glad the white tail sold, but sorry it didn't work out, one of my favorites too.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Yeah, the fish looked great in the video and seem like they're getting along. I'm glad the white tail sold, but sorry it didn't work out, one of my favorites too.
Whatcha think, Carpenter’s I think?
He’s starting to take dominance in the tank. Surprising since he so much smaller than the pintail.

9719AB37-F0C1-4082-B633-6724BFC857F8.jpeg FD4054D7-F631-4E72-B0CD-975F305F9C25.jpeg D82C028E-8223-4736-8D8D-E9B2AFEF8203.jpeg
9719AB37-F0C1-4082-B633-6724BFC857F8.jpeg
FD4054D7-F631-4E72-B0CD-975F305F9C25.jpeg
D82C028E-8223-4736-8D8D-E9B2AFEF8203.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whatcha think, Carpenter’s I think?
He’s starting to take dominance in the tank. Surprising since he so much smaller than the pintail.

9719AB37-F0C1-4082-B633-6724BFC857F8.jpeg FD4054D7-F631-4E72-B0CD-975F305F9C25.jpeg D82C028E-8223-4736-8D8D-E9B2AFEF8203.jpeg
9719AB37-F0C1-4082-B633-6724BFC857F8.jpeg
FD4054D7-F631-4E72-B0CD-975F305F9C25.jpeg
D82C028E-8223-4736-8D8D-E9B2AFEF8203.jpeg
Yup, carpenters. Mine was the dominant wrasse when I had him. He should be okay, just a lot of flashing. If the pintail is hiding or starting low, then I would be concerned. Hopefully they'll get along and just put on a show for you. Btw, the cables should arrive today if they haven't already been delivered?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, carpenters. Mine was the dominant wrasse when I had him. He should be okay, just a lot of flashing. If the pintail is hiding or starting low, then I would be concerned. Hopefully they'll get along and just put on a show for you. Btw, the cables should arrive today if they haven't already been delivered?
Awesome and thanks again! I’m up in arrowhead for the weekend and didn’t check the mail. I’ll check on that tomorrow.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Smite your tank looks so great! All of the beautiful coral colors. Nice job!! What lights/lighting program do you use? (Sorry if I missed that)

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some input on what to do here.
This bryopsis is really getting out of whack. My small structure up front isn't glue together and is some what of a balancing act but pretty solid. This stuff is so thick and rooted I just about collapsed that structure trying to pluck a finger full off! I'm thinking of injecting peroxide to help kill off the roots and try and pluck again in a day or two.

Another thing I noticed: I have several different types of macro algae in my reactor. Well I finally got around to harvesting some.I'm not sure on the names but the red leaf type is doing very well. My cheato is about 99% mush and dead. The lettuce is dead as well except for one small piece. I also noticed the light tube and all that had turned to mush look to be covered in thick yellow (in day light) gunk. I'm assuming some form of sponge. I'm not sure if this choked my cheato out (grew through one another) or if its a nutrient issue.

I've been feeding ALOT. I plan to cut back. I think I'm feeding the bryopsis as much as the coral at this point. My "problem" is my nutrients are basically bottomed out. Corals are still nice and colorful due to all the food I've been throwing in the tank. From what I've been reading chaeto dies without some detectable phosphate. I have been running my reactor 24/7 in hopes to compete with my display, so maybe I just nuked it.

I have NeoNitro and NeoPhos. I'd like some input on whether it would be a good idea to dose these with my current bryopsis issue.
If i start up my plan of attack will be:

1) "Cut" back on food - basically just feed cleaner foods like mysis and brine for the time being I normally in 100% rods, LRS and a special blend
2) Slowly start to dose both brigthwell products until a detectable level is reached. I'll dose these closer to the end of the display light cycle to give my algae reactor the advantage over bryopsis.

I currently dose iron at night for the same reason. I was very surprised to see the chaeto gone, that is a first for me.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I have some fluconazole that you can have if you haven't tried it yet, but you'll have to take the reactor offline during treatment. I've only been feeding LRS and TDO chromaboost, smaller amounts each time. Some macros will take over others and I often don't fight which one will work best, but just go with the flow. Sounds like gracilaria, which is a nice macro. Remove the crap and only put the good clean stuff back.
If you want to use fluconazole, then move your macro to a bucket with an airstone/bubbler and a light while you treat the tank. Just throw a little food in there to feed it a little. What are your N & P numbers now?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have some fluconazole that you can have if you haven't tried it yet, but you'll have to take the reactor offline during treatment. I've only been feeding LRS and TDO chromaboost, smaller amounts each time. Some macros will take over others and I often don't fight which one will work best, but just go with the flow. Sounds like gracilaria, which is a nice macro. Remove the crap and only put the good clean stuff back.
If you want to use fluconazole, then move your macro to a bucket with an airstone/bubbler and a light while you treat the tank. Just throw a little food in there to feed it a little. What are your N & P numbers now?
Thanks, I've got some reef flux I ordered for my 180g a while back but then one day I picked it all out and it never grew back. I've been reading a large thread here on it and seems like some people have bad rtn/stn events when using it? Not the majority but still spooky.

That looks like it could be they type. Mine looks a little more bushy and less stringy but I think that's it. Thats pretty much what I did. there was maybe a dime size piece of non mush chaeto and the green lettuce. A nice handful of the red macro that didnt have the sponge like stuff on it. I've increased the flow in the reactor a little bit too.

My N under 1ppm and my P is 0.0

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction, nitrate is .2 It's been a while since my nutrients were low enough to be checking through the side. P is 0 according to hanna low range phosphate

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some input on what to do here.
This bryopsis is really getting out of whack. My small structure up front isn't glue together and is some what of a balancing act but pretty solid. This stuff is so thick and rooted I just about collapsed that structure trying to pluck a finger full off! I'm thinking of injecting peroxide to help kill off the roots and try and pluck again in a day or two.

Another thing I noticed: I have several different types of macro algae in my reactor. Well I finally got around to harvesting some.I'm not sure on the names but the red leaf type is doing very well. My cheato is about 99% mush and dead. The lettuce is dead as well except for one small piece. I also noticed the light tube and all that had turned to mush look to be covered in thick yellow (in day light) gunk. I'm assuming some form of sponge. I'm not sure if this choked my cheato out (grew through one another) or if its a nutrient issue.

I've been feeding ALOT. I plan to cut back. I think I'm feeding the bryopsis as much as the coral at this point. My "problem" is my nutrients are basically bottomed out. Corals are still nice and colorful due to all the food I've been throwing in the tank. From what I've been reading chaeto dies without some detectable phosphate. I have been running my reactor 24/7 in hopes to compete with my display, so maybe I just nuked it.

I have NeoNitro and NeoPhos. I'd like some input on whether it would be a good idea to dose these with my current bryopsis issue.
If i start up my plan of attack will be:

1) "Cut" back on food - basically just feed cleaner foods like mysis and brine for the time being I normally in 100% rods, LRS and a special blend
2) Slowly start to dose both brigthwell products until a detectable level is reached. I'll dose these closer to the end of the display light cycle to give my algae reactor the advantage over bryopsis.

I currently dose iron at night for the same reason. I was very surprised to see the chaeto gone, that is a first for me.

Let me know if you need some more macro algae. I can always give you another bag. I probably have to trim back soon anyway. Good luck with the bryopsis!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PO4 that low can definitely cause some issues, but I suspect that the algae is utilizing most of that and you actually have more, but it's not available for the corals. I would dose some PO4 and feed a little more too, but don't go crazy. Tropic Marin Plus NP might be an alternative?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 that low can definitely cause some issues, but I suspect that the algae is utilizing most of that and you actually have more, but it's not available for the corals. I would dose some PO4 and feed a little more too, but don't go crazy. Tropic Marin Plus NP might be an alternative?
I'm not familiar with that but I'll check it out.

I agree its probably all getting consumed and is actually there.

Back