OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Glad you got it sorted. I want to buy the modular marine overflow for my nuvo black 25 when I set it up. I don't think I would ever use anything less than a bean animal style overflow for any size tank, but I'll be sure to order extra gaskets just in case. That bubblebath is awesome! Adam has some of the best sps out there. Your confetti frag is growing and starting to encrust, so it will be ready for you whenever you're ready.
Yeah the modular marine was quality. Mine did leak on y 180g and I had to go back and add gaskets so good idea.
I know I was stoked to find it locally. I know it can be tricky and seems to go dormant for a lot of people at first.
I want to make it your way soon. I was hoping to hit my last interceptor treatment so I can bring you some frags that are healed unless you’re at max capacity. I know I’m pretty much there lol.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah the modular marine was quality. Mine did leak on y 180g and I had to go back and add gaskets so good idea.
I know I was stoked to find it locally. I know it can be tricky and seems to go dormant for a lot of people at first.
I want to make it your way soon. I was hoping to hit my last interceptor treatment so I can bring you some frags that are healed unless you’re at max capacity. I know I’m pretty much there lol.
I'm making room now and will hopefully frag more stuff soon. I'll make room where I have to. Plus, I have some large pieces that I need to let go altogether. I have a teal stag that's 7" or 8" that needs a new home, so hopefully someone local wants a great deal? I also need to chop up all my montis and just keep a small frag of each. I really need a frag tank. Maybe I'll use some of this frag money for an overflow?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making room now and will hopefully frag more stuff soon. I'll make room where I have to. Plus, I have some large pieces that I need to let go altogether. I have a teal stag that's 7" or 8" that needs a new home, so hopefully someone local wants a great deal? I also need to chop up all my montis and just keep a small frag of each. I really need a frag tank. Maybe I'll use some of this frag money for an overflow?
I hear ya on that, I’ve got 2 I need to rehome as wel.
When I was slapping this together MM was so slammed he wasn’t even taking new orders. Hopefully that’s changed by now or you can score one off eBay?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@minus9
Thanks again for these beauts! They've been settling in very well and I'm seeing those smaller snails pop up here and there.
DSC_0150.jpg
DSC_0144.jpg
DSC_0142.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved this guy when it tipped over onto Joleen. Its in a spot I was saving for a par hungry tenuis...but I think I'll leave it! Its been encrusting for a year or so these are the first nubs and I'm really looking forward to what they'll look like.
DSC_0104.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Can't wait to see the growth.
Me too :)
It's funny I lost some PE for some reason ( i did blind dose 1/2 correction amounts based off my past ICP) but my growth has really started to increase. I've got an ICP sent out and I'm interested to see where everything is at and what, if anything, the miracle mud is bringing to the table as far as dailies.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me too :)
It's funny I lost some PE for some reason ( i did blind dose 1/2 correction amounts based off my past ICP) but my growth has really started to increase. I've got an ICP sent out and I'm interested to see where everything is at and what, if anything, the miracle mud is bringing to the table as far as dailies.
I didn't have to dose manganese at first, but those numbers went down and now it's part of my daily dose regimen. I did stop dosing kz flatworm stop a while ago, but I'm going to buy some more and see if it changes anything? I know my WD is lacking in color a little bit, but I can't say if FS was helping or not? The 3 frags I got from you are doing great. I need to do some serious clearing in my tank, but will try to post a couple pics soon.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have to dose manganese at first, but those numbers went down and now it's part of my daily dose regimen. I did stop dosing kz flatworm stop a while ago, but I'm going to buy some more and see if it changes anything? I know my WD is lacking in color a little bit, but I can't say if FS was helping or not? The 3 frags I got from you are doing great. I need to do some serious clearing in my tank, but will try to post a couple pics soon.
I'll be looking for them! Did you have a flatworm issue or were you just testing kz flatworm stop for coloration and health?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll be looking for them! Did you have a flatworm issue or were you just testing kz flatworm stop for coloration and health?
No flatworms, purely for coloration and growth. I also think the extra mucus layer that's produced helps the corals in a few ways. Btw, did the deep purple milli make it? It's been getting beat up by its neighbors, so it's a little rough right now.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No flatworms, purely for coloration and growth. I also think the extra mucus layer that's produced helps the corals in a few ways. Btw, did the deep purple milli make it? It's been getting beat up by its neighbors, so it's a little rough right now.
Ah Gotcha, I've heard that about flatworm stop so I was curious. It did, look great I just need to get a more prime spot for it.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spotted some hair algae here and there but didn't act quickly. It exploded in a huge bloom. It stripped my nutrients and is now covered dinos.

So far it looks like the only piece I'm losing is a small frag of TSA rainbow fusion. I had added a seahare to the tank but it avoided the hair algae altogether, my guess is thats probably right around when the dinos started popping up. I have no sand so it's clinging to the gha.

Plan of attack:
- Stopping Brightwell's Razor, seemed to be working but I think at this point it's just eliminating some of the dino's competition.
- Starting to raise nutrients with neonitro/neophos until they are detectable. I'm going this route to avoid upping my feeding and letting GHA/dino trap more food/detritus
- I'm going to be dosing biodigest weekly and will be adding a few other bacteria strains in as well. Probably MB7
- I replaced all filters in my RODI unit but still need to finish troubleshooting my TDS/Membrane issue.
- Going back to weekly water changes to remove all detritus and hopefully die off.
-I removed my miracle mud section in my sump just to be safe and reduce possible silicates/un controllable elements.
- I've added a polyfilter for now (Last icp showed some copper in the water but all my pumps check out)
- Manual removal daily. I've already collapsed my front structure trying to remove the GHA, it's roots are very strong. I found if I take my tweezers and spin it like spaghetti noodles it wraps up more at once, but also once it rolls up to the rock it pulls against itself and tears off without tugging but that's tedious as all hell.

Hopefully I can get this tank back on track but it's a real ***** so far.

I bought a very small sailfin tang at Tong's, its body is about the size of my thumb. Once the dinos are taken care of I'm hoping the upped cuc, tomini, sailfin and lawnmower will keep the rest of the tank in check.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I spotted some hair algae here and there but didn't act quickly. It exploded in a huge bloom. It stripped my nutrients and is now covered dinos.

So far it looks like the only piece I'm losing is a small frag of TSA rainbow fusion. I had added a seahare to the tank but it avoided the hair algae altogether, my guess is thats probably right around when the dinos started popping up. I have no sand so it's clinging to the gha.

Plan of attack:
- Stopping Brightwell's Razor, seemed to be working but I think at this point it's just eliminating some of the dino's competition.
- Starting to raise nutrients with neonitro/neophos until they are detectable. I'm going this route to avoid upping my feeding and letting GHA/dino trap more food/detritus
- I'm going to be dosing biodigest weekly and will be adding a few other bacteria strains in as well. Probably MB7
- I replaced all filters in my RODI unit but still need to finish troubleshooting my TDS/Membrane issue.
- Going back to weekly water changes to remove all detritus and hopefully die off.
-I removed my miracle mud section in my sump just to be safe and reduce possible silicates/un controllable elements.
- I've added a polyfilter for now (Last icp showed some copper in the water but all my pumps check out)
- Manual removal daily. I've already collapsed my front structure trying to remove the GHA, it's roots are very strong. I found if I take my tweezers and spin it like spaghetti noodles it wraps up more at once, but also once it rolls up to the rock it pulls against itself and tears off without tugging but that's tedious as all hell.

Hopefully I can get this tank back on track but it's a real ***** so far.

I bought a very small sailfin tang at Tong's, its body is about the size of my thumb. Once the dinos are taken care of I'm hoping the upped cuc, tomini, sailfin and lawnmower will keep the rest of the tank in check.

Sorry to hear. When I was manually removing GHA I used a small bottle brush and twisted it in a clump of algae, then pulled it out. It worked rather well and depending on where the algae is, you can get a few different sizes for those tight spots. I was doing weekly water changes during the battle, which helped in siphoning out any loose clumps. The other bacteria combo I like is PNS Probio and Yello Sno. I don't think miracle mud was an issue, but not knowing what's adding to your problems, it's a easy thing to remove/eliminate. Good luck and let me know if you need anything? Btw, I was going to text you to see how your tank was doing, but your post beat me to it. You're not alone in your tank battles, I'm fighting a pathogen, I think?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. When I was manually removing GHA I used a small bottle brush and twisted it in a clump of algae, then pulled it out. It worked rather well and depending on where the algae is, you can get a few different sizes for those tight spots. I was doing weekly water changes during the battle, which helped in siphoning out any loose clumps. The other bacteria combo I like is PNS Probio and Yello Sno. I don't think miracle mud was an issue, but not knowing what's adding to your problems, it's a easy thing to remove/eliminate. Good luck and let me know if you need anything? Btw, I was going to text you to see how your tank was doing, but your post beat me to it. You're not alone in your tank battles, I'm fighting a pathogen, I think?
I'll see if I can find a set on amazon, thats a great idea for removal, I'll check out those bacteria too.

I agree, the mud probably wasn't adding anything but it was making it more difficult to clean my sump without making a mess. I had my skimmer in the drain section of the sump which was harder to get too and impossible to swap socks when I wanted to run them.

So far the majority of the pieces look okay but I know that wont last too long, so I gotta get this in check.

I appreciate it and sorry to hear about your issue. sps are so tough to troubleshoot. Delayed reactions to stress, some shed while others thrive. It seems like RTN/STN can be contagious like a message gets sent out to bail all flesh and if another gets touched it relays the message! Witch hazel treatment didn't seem to help either then?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll see if I can find a set on amazon, thats a great idea for removal, I'll check out those bacteria too.

I agree, the mud probably wasn't adding anything but it was making it more difficult to clean my sump without making a mess. I had my skimmer in the drain section of the sump which was harder to get too and impossible to swap socks when I wanted to run them.

So far the majority of the pieces look okay but I know that wont last too long, so I gotta get this in check.

I appreciate it and sorry to hear about your issue. sps are so tough to troubleshoot. Delayed reactions to stress, some shed while others thrive. It seems like RTN/STN can be contagious like a message gets sent out to bail all flesh and if another gets touched it relays the message! Witch hazel treatment didn't seem to help either then?
I think the witch hazel helped and the bacteria as well, but I don't think it targets a pathogen/parasite? It seems to be localized, which is good, but it just happens to be around some of my favorite pieces. Now my orange acro is showing signs at the base, so I need to decide if I'm going to pull out and dip it or cut off the part that's infected? Regardless, I'm going to reset everything when I redo my canopy. There are too many other things going on that I need to address, which keeps the tank in constant limbo. I think a lot of it is changing the system after failing with Triton and not setting it up like I would in a traditional way. I really want to fabricate my own sump, now that I have an idea of what I really need/want. I think Bashsea sumps look killer and have some great options, just wish I could flip or change a few things to make it work better for me.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back