OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread, tank looks awesome, like the aquascape.
Thank you!

I actually just got around to removing my “wrasse den” I had made. I need to finalize a couple spots for coral but over all it allowed me to slide the main structure back 4” so the small valley between the two structures is more pronounced. Also gives more room for growth if it all goes as well.

Things are growing very well. I’m getting to where I’ll need to make some decisions on what frags I like and pass the others along so I have room for growth.

my nutrients are 0-0 again but I’m a little paranoid to raise them up when I’m doing so well with the GHA.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you!

I actually just got around to removing my “wrasse den” I had made. I need to finalize a couple spots for coral but over all it allowed me to slide the main structure back 4” so the small valley between the two structures is more pronounced. Also gives more room for growth if it all goes as well.

Things are growing very well. I’m getting to where I’ll need to make some decisions on what frags I like and pass the others along so I have room for growth.

my nutrients are 0-0 again but I’m a little paranoid to raise them up when I’m doing so well with the GHA.
You should consider using EasyBooster and SpsEvo. They can be your nitrogen/phosphorus source for corals. Plus they feed the pods, bacteria, etc. The PE is insane too. You can try the 250mL bags to see if you like it or not? Just a thought. Amino acids are another nitrogen source for corals.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider using EasyBooster and SpsEvo. They can be your nitrogen/phosphorus source for corals. Plus they feed the pods, bacteria, etc. The PE is insane too. You can try the 250mL bags to see if you like it or not? Just a thought. Amino acids are another nitrogen source for corals.
I actually started to add my Brightwell aminos back into my routine. I'll check those out too and give them a go. A good reef buddy of mine hooked me up with a gallon of his phyto. Super dark stuff and I'm seeing good results so far. Normally when I'm zeroed out I have little polyp extension during the day but most of my pieces are pretty fluffy right now and colors good. Tenuis though are a little light looking in the daytime.

I was just looking into TM ecobalance today so I'm glad you mentioned that. The eco-balance seems like its geared towards high nutrient tanks but seems like it would still feed corals so I'm not sure.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest additions to the reef now that my leopards are gone They should do well.

6EC11583-AEBB-4DD5-B54A-EE8CB95B322A.jpeg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update from today. I added my filter cups back with floss. I forgot how clear the water could be. Colors great and growth is doing well. My alk tested at 6 dkh, I must have bumped my needle valve while working in the sump. I've slowly brought it back up to 7. From here I'm going to go really slow and look for that sweet spot. It was 8.3 before.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just removed all of my miracle mud. It was collecting too much detritus in the sump, so I'm going to try the power filter in the fuge, hopefully that'll keep it clean? Gotta kick the cyano that just won't go away. Have you dosed the liquid mud before?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed all of my miracle mud. It was collecting too much detritus in the sump, so I'm going to try the power filter in the fuge, hopefully that'll keep it clean? Gotta kick the cyano that just won't go away. Have you dosed the liquid mud before?
No I haven’t tried that yet. Have you seen any change in coral happiness or health?

I’ve been looking at the power filter but it’s hard to tell how long it actually is. Seems to large to keep in the DT for me, it’d have to be set up like you plan.

I’ve been doing so many water changes removing GHA and I feel like my tanks looking better. I’m still dosing the dailies but I’m going to need to start over with testing at some point.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No I haven’t tried that yet. Have you seen any change in coral happiness or health?

I’ve been looking at the power filter but it’s hard to tell how long it actually is. Seems to large to keep in the DT for me, it’d have to be set up like you plan.

I’ve been doing so many water changes removing GHA and I feel like my tanks looking better. I’m still dosing the dailies but I’m going to need to start over with testing at some point.
I used the PF in the display for a little bit, but it was too big and quite the eyesore. It did clear things up nicely when I was using it, so hopefully it’ll be the same or close enough in the sump? I’ll order liquid mud this week, so we’ll see how it goes? I’ve been blowing off the rocks daily, then following up with my DIY coral snow and that’s been clearing the tank up nicely. I’ve been dosing PNS Probio weekly, with Yello Sno and Prodibio every other week. Both have kept my PO4 just under 0.1, which is nice. I really like PNS a lot, combined with Yello Sno, it both feeds corals and consumes PO4. Win, win!

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the PF in the display for a little bit, but it was too big and quite the eyesore. It did clear things up nicely when I was using it, so hopefully it’ll be the same or close enough in the sump? I’ll order liquid mud this week, so we’ll see how it goes? I’ve been blowing off the rocks daily, then following up with my DIY coral snow and that’s been clearing the tank up nicely. I’ve been dosing PNS Probio weekly, with Yello Sno and Prodibio every other week. Both have kept my PO4 just under 0.1, which is nice. I really like PNS a lot, combined with Yello Sno, it both feeds corals and consumes PO4. Win, win!
Nice, I'll keep an eye out to see how it goes. I've got the opposite problem but hopefully soon once this GHA is knocked back I can start to raise them. I'm registering 0-0 but feeding nightly phyto and oysterfeast and working in brightwells blizzard once a week. Things are looking pretty good but my tenuis are pretty pale in the day time.

I still need to give that diy coral snow a try.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. Your coral placement is good. It will look awesome when they have grown to colonies.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. Your coral placement is good. It will look awesome when they have grown to colonies.
Thank you. I feel like it’s a little over crowded but If need be I’ll pick and choose as I go.

my wife asked me to kill the blues when we ate dinner. G5 blues 100% cool white. I gotta say I don’t mind this look at all, my eyes just drawn to some of the more classic looking pieces. The fish look so nice under this spectrum and no filter needed for my phone
001CD9ED-56EC-4AFB-B902-66699A9BA3D8.jpeg
34F2F900-49A1-4423-AF66-1E46380C3AD9.jpeg
E4ECB912-1F2A-4A3F-9812-B55E789FCA75.jpeg

Reef Pets Ultra Violet
0E9F63C5-D162-4D1E-9FAF-60A7AB2F517A.jpeg

My wannabe shazam piece
625118B3-08BB-40F5-BF31-B26E9FC50F92.jpeg

An awesome blue/purple acro I got form @minus9 This thing looks amazing all under cool white in person!
98A61A30-AF91-4C94-9AD2-27BB80E025B3.jpeg

I believe oregon tort
3527F68E-F604-4EEB-A52D-76E0AA9891E0.jpeg

ASD Doomsday
2FB0261A-23AB-411E-B412-D7413770B3AB.jpeg

Just a nice no namer that reminds me of the picutres I've seen of that cookie monster acropora
FB461127-6867-4BB0-B1BB-45D212F07A5C.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1607.MOV
    87.3 MB

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That blue/purple piece really shines under daylight. I can only imagine it under 6500k, it would really pop and I think you would see a much lighter skin with blue and purple highlights. Also, it’s grown quite a bit, nice job! I really want to call it midnight express or something like that.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your wife sure knows her corals and colours... hehe.
The Reef Pets Ultra Violet is amazing and the photo is outstanding.
The blue on the cleaner wrasse is very attractive.

This is how a reef should look like.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blue/purple piece really shines under daylight. I can only imagine it under 6500k, it would really pop and I think you would see a much lighter skin with blue and purple highlights. Also, it’s grown quite a bit, nice job! I really want to call it midnight express or something like that.
It is a good grower and the color is really cool on it under all daylight spectrums but I could see it getting real cool under something a little whiter.

Sounds like a fitting name to me, it needs one.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your wife sure knows her corals and colours... hehe.
The Reef Pets Ultra Violet is amazing and the photo is outstanding.
The blue on the cleaner wrasse is very attractive.

This is how a reef should look like.
Hahah yeah she really wants me to get some whiter lights. I'm tempted to I really liked my radiums on my 180, those are still a little bluer. Even my algae looked nice hahaha

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hahah yeah she really wants me to get some whiter lights. I'm tempted to I really liked my radiums on my 180, those are still a little bluer. Even my algae looked nice hahaha
I really miss my old tank from the 90's that had a single 150w Iwasaki 6500k mh over it. Just look at Adam's @Battlecorals sps, that's 6500k all the way. That's why I'm increasing my "daylight" more during peak hours with my lights.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really miss my old tank from the 90's that had a single 150w Iwasaki 6500k mh over it. Just look at Adam's @Battlecorals sps, that's 6500k all the way. That's why I'm increasing my "daylight" more during peak hours with my lights.
Yeah I've gone back and forth on adding either white t5s or orphek OR3 bars to my current lights OR completely swapping everything out for MH or trying to sell these and buy the g5 pro versions. There are so little white leds in the blue model it just doesnt make sense to crank those few diodes up and lower the majority of the light's diodes (blue/RB) to get the color I'd like.

I'm actually gonna see how much growth I can pump out of this sucker in the next 5 months cause I've green lighted a larger tank from CD aquariums. That's probably when I'll swap around lighting.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back