Smooth Skin ID

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I got these two in yesterday and only trade names were avail anyone know specifically what they are. As much detail as possible if you can.
8E226385-E896-43E4-BA5C-6EE22148A106.jpeg
D5EF6547-1EDA-4F16-B0B6-5B2C05421489.jpeg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wil first they are not “smooth skin” aka deep water corals.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one looks similar to frags AquaSD sells. I have one and don’t know what it is. It looks to be in the loripes/granulosa spectrum but new growth will be telling. Not certain on the second one. Again, grow it out and see.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one looks similar to frags AquaSD sells. I have one and don’t know what it is. It looks to be in the loripes/granulosa spectrum but new growth will be telling. Not certain on the second one. Again, grow it out and see.
Second looks like a latistella but the first doesn’t have enough to go on.
For some reason I didn’t get notified any of you replied I was coming to bump the post. Will do ima look into the species you mentioned tho

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd acro is positively a acropora carduus

How did you come to this id? I can see parts that look close but has lot of coralites for a carduus and I don’t see any small pocket like coralites between branches and not much tapering of branch ends. I do see a number of appressed coralites which carduus don’t really show. Still not confident on my id for this one either though. Can you take a pic from the side?
The first pic I agree with Perry and I have seen sarmentosa fragments look like that when they don’t take off. Looking forward to an update on these two later. I love all the people wanting true ids for their acropora these days!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s the pic I was seeing similarities in as well, I am just not used to seeing carduus with so many coralites. I am curious to see how it turns out with new growth, maybe it was an Aussie carduus that was in some heavy shallow water.

OP
OP
Alex's Nano Reef

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you come to this id? I can see parts that look close but has lot of coralites for a carduus and I don’t see any small pocket like coralites between branches and not much tapering of branch ends. I do see a number of appressed coralites which carduus don’t really show. Still not confident on my id for this one either though. Can you take a pic from the side?
The first pic I agree with Perry and I have seen sarmentosa fragments look like that when they don’t take off. Looking forward to an update on these two later. I love all the people wanting true ids for their acropora these days!
I was NOT as thorough as you when coming to this conclusion. I honestly found the most similar looking one which was the pac man acro I think and looked into the Latin name. I could 10000% be wrong I’m by no means a expert. But that second frag everyone I’ve talked to who has it said it has no PE what so ever and their keeping other acros in their tank very successfully.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back