SM's CADE 1800 S2 Build Thread

Sm1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am expecting delivery of this 6 foot, 171G tank late this week or early next week (ordered from Algaebarn). Really excited to get my hands on what looks like a stunning tank, sump and cabinet.

I have some prior experience in the hobby but have never done a tank nearly this big. I had a 75 gallon fish-only tank in high school in the late-90's. About a decade later, I got back in with a 58 gallon Oceanic with LPS/softies from 2005-2008 (live stock was a HECK OF A LOT cheaper back then and we were still using Tonga live rock) but sold it before moving to a new city. Last year, I inherited a small Red Sea 130D from a neighbor, and my young children and I really got into it... Which brings me to today and the upgrade to the Cade 1800!

I am still debating lighting for this 6 foot tank. I was an early adopter of T-5s the last time around. I really believe in the effectiveness of T5s but like the shimmer the LEDs bring (and enjoy playing around with the tech as well). I am leaning towards a hybrid -- the ATI Powermodule 60" with 4x80 T-5 and 4x75 LED. Wondering if I should be seriously considering the latest generation of LEDs that are just coming out -- like ATI Straton and Philips CoralCare. Or if I should just do what most others seem to do in terms of 3x Radion Xr30 PRO (i.e. LED only). Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!

OP
OP
S

Sm1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, I will looking to do a mixed reef but more SPS than anything else. I do have a large RBTA hosting a pair of clownfish which I’ll be moving over from my old Red Sea 130D (which will become a quarantine tank going forward).

Jimmy_HC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank!! Definitely a sweet looking setup for sure

OP
OP
S

Sm1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exciting times! cant wait to see it. would love to see your Red Sea 130D
Here are a couple photos of my RS 130D.

AAFC97E9-FEFA-4D5A-9D65-8F0AC49C5444.jpeg F630BAA2-3AEC-4D51-A664-2B4E167FC51E.jpeg

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the same tank and have been setting her up - build thread to come in a bit but will be watching you. Make sure you have 4 BIG dudes to get the tank on the stand. I opted for the installation kit and it was a life saver.

OP
OP
S

Sm1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the same tank and have been setting her up - build thread to come in a bit but will be watching you. Make sure you have 4 BIG dudes to get the tank on the stand. I opted for the installation kit and it was a life saver.
The tank arrived late last week by UPS Freight. I also got the installation kit. Waiting for movers to come on Monday hopefully.

I look forward to checking out your build thread! I have been busy taking advantage of Black Friday sales to buy some equipment. Got skimmer (Reef Octopus 200) and the return pump (Reef Octopus Varios8) on the way.

8FADF5B1-64BB-40D1-8025-AB701F82F742.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Sm1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for anyone thinking about buying a new aquarium, Algae Barn is running an awesome “Black November” special on the Cade Aquariums. They are basically throwing in rock, sand, salt and a bunch of starter chemicals/additives for free. It all comes on the same shipping pallet with the tank and stand. I was really impressed with the way everything was packed onto the shipping crate — no breakage on the dry rock which is a huge plus versus just shipping it out in a cardboard box via regular UPS/FedEx.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger on that tank myself. Getting into the house and set up is going to be a stone cold B***H. Also I'm trying to figure out my lighting as well. Probably going with AI because I like the Reef Prime HD's and they have had awesome customer service.

OP
OP
S

Sm1823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger on that tank myself. Getting into the house and set up is going to be a stone cold B***H. Also I'm trying to figure out my lighting as well. Probably going with AI because I like the Reef Prime HD's and they have had awesome customer service.
6 guys using 3 moving straps under the crates to get them in the house.

Shanet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, I do. I dont use the ATO reservoir, if you still want to dont fill it up to the top or fill it completely and the clamp will be under water. It is made of plastic, aluminium and a stainless bolt which wont corrode in freshwater. Another option is to use the full length bar that mounts on the sides.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back