OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is well on the reef front. Except my mp10 prop broke at the base. I noticed the zoas not really moving much as they normally do. Took it apart, cleaned it, and noticed the base of the prop shaft is missing. I only have 4 Nass snails and i dont think they're small enough to have lodged its shell in there... but luckily i had a spare prop from my old one and switched it out. Besides that all is well. My diatoms have reduced since the water change, now i have small hair algae, but its okay cuz my hermit crab now has an all you can eat buffet . He mows down the stuff. And i noticed a considerable amount of microfauna on the rock and glass. As has my clowns. Theyre constantly picking the glass or rocks for pods!

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to bring this thread into 2017. I have a few photos of the tank that I took this morning. I just added some chaeto to the fuge, and a peppermint shrimp to the display along with some snails and more frags yesterday. Ill keep this as short as possible...

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all the red zoas on the frag with the neon green ones about a month ago. They just all at once shriveled up and died. Bummer, but it was my free frag from wwc, so it's not like I lost money, just a beautiful specimen. But aside from that, no real loss going on 2 months into this journey. I did find the kalk being added fogs up the optical sensor on the Osmolator, but knowing this, I take time during feeding to clean it best I can, and once a week soak it in RODI and scrape with my nail the film deposit on the sensor.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way my peppermint shrimp will come out of his cave, is if some food floats by the mouth of the cave. Other than that, it's been hiding since introduced into the tank. Lol. He/she seems fine, just doesn't wanna be seen. Who can really blame the fella. I've been tossing the idea of getting an anemone next here in about a month or so. I don't wanna bombard the tank with too much life at once, and I wanna wait till I find the best one for the tank as well. My chaeto is doing magnificent as well, seems to be growing in mass. Aside from that; Alls well on the reef front.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a RBTA last week, and since my last update, I've lost the Acro & birds nest frags. Everything else is thriving and growing however. I've been lacking with time between water changes as my work schedules picked up, but only pushing it a few days, maybe a week once and I suspect that was the demise of the frags. I just did one the other day and here's a quick 2 minute video to show where it sits. Enjoy!

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a couple of months since I've updated this thread. And with RAP just passing, I figured what better time than now to do a photo dump of about 4 months worth of growth and additions. The tank is coming up on 6 months into its life, and Its been a fun journey so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these AoG zoas at WWC farm opening the Monday after RAP

Here's a bunch of miscellaneous random shots

All in all the tank is great. I have had a slight algae bloom on the sand bed, but I'm well aware its from overfeeding the tank. During my next water change (been doing them ~ every 2 weeks), I'm going to do a deep clean of the sump and my overflow to get out any old detritus/crap. I got a turkey baster to help suck out the crud and blow off any low flow areas. I'll also add some more GFO and carbon to the reactor, as well as give it a sc

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that anyone cares, but my BRS reactor malfunctioned on me the other day. I'm not sure if it was on account of me over-tightening the cartridge on it, or if it was just its time, but It definitely wasn't water tight once I was flushing the new GFO and carbon in my old water change bucket. I placed an order for a deluxe reactor, and should receive it this week sometime. Just stinks to have something fail on me during a water change, but I suppose its better than having it leak on me when im not home... which happens often with my job. I've began to notice some zoas not doing so well. I'm keeping an eye out for any visual pests.

I went about a week past my usual bi weekly water change this week (thanks work), and hopefully I can counter act that with another 5 gallon change sometime this weekend. I cleaned (most of ) the skimmer and return section in my sump Sunday the 21st , where im sure some nitrates are being produced. I'm hoping to get a good cleaning in my display this weekend to help as well. I did a 50/50 RODI & vinegar bath to some equipment I use for water changes and such like my heater, koralia nano, my MJ for the reactor, and my back up sicce return all got cleaned. I've greatly reduced the amount I've been feeding, and will continue to do so. I need to buy some more frozen food from WWC soon, because mines gotten pretty freezer burned and im thinking that may be adding to my small algae issues. Still feeding SA pellets though and watching each fish and my shrimp eat so I don't pollute the tank.

No new additions, just letting the tank do its thing after RAP. I honestly don't foresee any additions to the tank for a while, just gonna let nature do its thing. which is hard considering WWC is on the same street as my warehouse.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by WWC and picked up some reinforcements for my CuC. Some snails and hermits. I performed a water change just a few minutes ago, and I also hooked up the new BRS deluxe reactor, and its plumbed in and filtering away. I also got a python water change hose that made my water changes a tad easier... as did the addition of another MJ1200 from the old reactor and the ball valve makes water changes a breeze now. I can change 5 gallons with scrubbing and turkey basting rocks in about 20 minutes. Oh I also added a small hydor 425 in my fuge to give it a small amount of flow to make the Chaeto non stagnant, it began to accumulate a green slime type algae because of the near 0 flow it had trickling into it. Excited to see the changes take place.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is right at 9dkh and my nitrates are around 5-10ppm. I tested yesterday, ill be going out of state for work for a week or so, so i once again will be relying on the Apex to give me updates each day, as well as my roomie to give me updates via FaceTime. Ive taught him the necessary knowledge to maintain the tank while im away. Hes family to me so i trust him, he'd lemme know immediately if anything god forbid went wrong.

Few months ago at work i printed out a calendar template and a lined sheet template to made an aquarium log with a folder and clipboard for the tank. I wrote down instructions to how make saltwater (2.5 cups of coral pro salt per 5 gallons gives me 1.025 or 1.026 water on the button), feeding guidelines. I write down in the days what maintenance, additions, removals, testing results etc. for record keeping. I made a booklet already for 2018 too!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I think it has to do with your photos. They are so large that the thread takes forever to load! Sorry man but the tank is looking good!

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new phone the other day, and with it new videos! The tanks doing well, still battling some little aptasia. I'm just at the 18 month point as well, which is pretty exciting, I've got awesome results thus far.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some pictures uploaded earlier. On a side note its quite impressive how ever evolving cell phone cameras are. Ive had every Iphone since the first gen, and its been crazy seeing how each new device outshines its predecessors in the camera department. Without further adieu; enjoy!

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some day after reef-a-palooza shots. I also got some zoas at the meet and greet today at WWC farm. Was fortunate to stop by during my lunch break from work. Scored only 2 pieces at RAP, with my favorite being a Jason Fox Busted Nugget frag. It’s so gorgeous, this iPhone doesn’t do it any justice. I got a rock anemone as well, which again, the phone doesnt wanna capture its colors! lol

My mangroves are doing awesome as well! Snapped these pics when i trimmed my fuge back and cleaned them of bubble algae. The root system was flourishing in the substrate

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a shot of what im feeding the tank currently once a day. I just got the Benereef's Benepets Reef food from the show. The rep had great things to say about it! Ive been feeding the Phyto from Algae barn for almost a month now. I feed only Sustainable aquatics pellets when i dont do frozen food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back