Snowflake Eel

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I know he ate at the LFS saturday - they fed him before I purchased. So tomorrow will be 6 days. He may have sneaked some in between. Have tried all these foods but maybe I should try fresh > frozen squid.
I cut it up while it is frozen and then let it thaw before I feed him.

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesnt come out much either unless its looking for food. I'd like to train it like the video below without biting my finger off LOL

snowflake eel wrinkles.jpg

I would be hesitant to do that. Mine hits those things pretty hard.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishurama, I'd watch out about doing that. Theres a Youtube video of a Moray ripping a guys thumb off, because it thought it was a vienna sausage he was feeding it. Not sure if you know the make up of their jaws, but they have two sets and one grabs while the other tears/pulls.

1597401076559.png

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had snowflake moray eels at my work for more then ten years. Great animals! But please use some kind of pliers or tweezers when you feed :oops:
We had a blood bath here ten years ago when a colleague from another aquarium was at our aquarium picking up fish. One of the snowflakes jumped out of a temporary holding tank and his first reaction was to grab it with his hand to put it back. That wasn't a good idea. So handle with caution :)

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to spear some food/prey item on the end of a piece of rigid airline tubing with a straightened out paperclip on the business end of it. Their eyesight isn’t all that fantastic and it lets you wave it around in front of them to help entice them to eat. It helps make sure they are eating and getting adequate amounts of food. ;)
I have a long pair of tweezers.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishurama, I'd watch out about doing that. Theres a Youtube video of a Moray ripping a guys thumb off, because it thought it was a vienna sausage he was feeding it. Not sure if you know the make up of their jaws, but they have two sets and one grabs while the other tears/pulls.

1597401076559.png

Mine doesnt come out much either unless its looking for food. I'd like to train it like the video below without biting my finger off LOL

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need better food for my eel. On the days he is lurking about at feeding time, I feed the
at “formula 2 Mysis “ if he finds it (he doesn’t always) then I end up feeding him re-hydrated krill.

I was thinking about buy some plain old frozen shrimp from the grocery store.

What should I be feeding him?

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need better food for my eel. On the days he is lurking about at feeding time, I feed the
at “formula 2 Mysis “ if he finds it (he doesn’t always) then I end up feeding him re-hydrated krill.

I was thinking about buy some plain old frozen shrimp from the grocery store.

What should I be feeding him?
A LFS with some eel experience recommended I add whole, fresh shrimp with the shell on to my snowflake’s diet. They emphasized getting “never frozen” and not cocktail shrimp for the freshness and that the shell was good for them to work through. Not sure what the physiology is behind that, but I’m gonna try it next.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a snowflake, but mine is the same size as most snowflakes I see.

I feed him thawed shrimp with shell, half shell clam, squid, scallop and the odd krill. Everything except the clam via tongs, the clam gets dropped in and he rips it out of the shell. Enhanced with selcon.

I wouldn't recommend hand feeding. I wanted to myself, but after seeing how many times mine bites the tongs, and what it does when it gets hold of food, that's a hard no for me.

DSC_1418.JPG DSC_1417.JPG

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS with some eel experience recommended I add whole, fresh shrimp with the shell on to my snowflake’s diet. They emphasized getting “never frozen” and not cocktail shrimp for the freshness and that the shell was good for them to work through. Not sure what the physiology is behind that, but I’m gonna try it next.
I wold not have thought of that.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feed him thawed shrimp with shell, half shell clam, squid, scallop and the odd krill. Everything except the clam via tongs, the clam gets dropped in and he rips it out of the shell. Enhanced with selcon.

I wouldn't recommend hand feeding. I wanted to myself, but after seeing how many times mine bites the tongs, and what it does when it gets hold of food, that's a hard no for me.

Yeah, their eyesight is bad... they get my tongs almost everytime too. I don’t “hand” feed. My “tongs are really just very long tweezers.

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine has hit the tongs so hard that I almost lost my grip. Lol. LOVE your eel!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back