Snowflake Eel

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a snowflake eel I’ll attach a video of him down below, I’m going away in about a week for a month and getting a person to come in the once a week to feed him his shrimp, will my other fish be goners? I have a leopard wrasse of good size, a foxface still small but a good size, a carpenter fairy wrasse which I’m worried about, a maroon clownfish in an anemone, a full size pink diamond goby and a filefish which is very very slow! Can someone please tell me if he could even kill any of these fish? Without them escaping? “He isn’t very big”

Attachments

• IMG_3363.MOV
    98.7 MB

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be fine. Mine has never gone after any of my fish. He pokes his head out when he is hungry and then goes back into the rocks after he has eaten.

OP
OP
Jacksfish2020

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should be fine. Mine has never gone after any of my fish. He pokes his head out when he is hungry and then goes back into the rocks after he has eaten.
But like I’m only feeding him once a week? Cause I’m going on vacation and the person “the feeder” can only come once a week

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the vid but I'm thinking things are going to be fine. A week between feeding is really not that long for an eel. Just feed him his full and allow him to retreat and tell you he's full. Snowflakes are pebble tooth eels and any fish they would eat would have to go down smoothly, they don't grab and roll like a fang tooth. The body shape of most are not to be threatened, the full size wrasse and goby I also wouldn't worry about. If the fish you are worried is wider than head of the eel I also wouldn't worry, if he hasn't ambushed while he was sleeping already, he likely won't.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw the vid but I didn't see the carpenters that you are concerned about, unless he is tiny, smaller than any I have seen, I wouldn't be worried.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other fishes, especially the wrasses, will need fed more than once a week, so hopefully you have an auto feeder for them.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an eel, so grain of salt.. but what about using freeze dried krill in an auto feeder? Or stock up on cheap hermit crabs/snails as it might go for them over a fish?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back