So confused at what a sump does.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No op your not the only one. Im actually sick and tired of reading about sumps for the last few weeks it hurts my head. This industry lacks so much its unbelievable but the know it all well they know it all.

I recently got two sumps from a local reefer and cant fir the life if me figure out how to plumb it or if it will even work. Water level is another thing never explained.
Hmm and this is the industry’s fault

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps can be really simple. Mine is just a 40 breeder with 3 pieces of glass. The first time I made one, I just googled how to do it and looked up what my skimmers recommended depth was. Hooking the plumbing was more work... I suggest buying more plumbing parts then you think you need and returning the excess. Always seem to need extra 45 degree elbows.

OP
OP
M

Mackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps can be really simple. Mine is just a 40 breeder with 3 pieces of glass. The first time I made one, I just googled how to do it and looked up what my skimmers recommended depth was. Hooking the plumbing was more work... I suggest buying more plumbing parts then you think you need and returning the excess. Always seem to need extra 45 degree elbows.
Would you recommend using pvc instead of tubing, cuz I was mainly gonna do tubing. could I have a pic of your sump? It sounds kinda like the one I want to build.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first sump...was a trickle filter. I saw pics in several magazines and figured I could build one, and did.

My current sump was made with a precut sump kit from eBay.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend using pvc instead of tubing, cuz I was mainly gonna do tubing. could I have a pic of your sump? It sounds kinda like the one I want to build.

As @RocketEngineer says, PVC for drain and hose for return. The silicon hose plays a huge role is reducing pump noise.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, pipes are commonly used for drains and tubing is commonly used for returns.
The primary reasoning is that pipes (attached/plumbed properly) are more reliable than tubing for the long term, but the vibration of the pump on a return would shake the pipe creating vibration noise, so the return lines (or at least a small section right after the pump) are typically run with tubing to "dampen" the vibration and noise.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As last poster said.. PVC for drains and return can have some PVC or flex hose to help with vibrations.

Best to add some disconnects in the drains... depending on your set up, you want a gate valve on one drain to control flow (if multiple drains, one runs full siphon and other is a tiny trickle). Do not get a ball valve for this.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic…. Main drain is the smaller one on right with gate valve.

Emergency drain is the second larger one next to it.

Return is that flex hose that connects to the hard pvc (behind the kessil).

Works by adjusting the gate valve so the small drain pipe is full siphon and only a tiny trickle goes down the main drain. This makes the overflow silent.

The second drain is larger in case the main drain clogs.. the second will be more then enough to handle the flow.

This set up is called a herbie overflow.

7A445AA5-EA8A-4C25-88FE-19ADD8EAB3AA.jpeg

Here is a write up on different types of overflows:

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I don't know if I'm an idiot but I cannot for the life of me figure out what a sump does.
I've had Hob filters running my 75 Gallon saltwater tank for a while and they're just not cutting the mustard so to speak.
I want to upgrade to a sump and make a diy one but I cannot figure out things about it such as:
what is an overflow box and why is it needed
my tank is not drilled, and I heard it has to be drilled, and not sure why. my tank is stocked, how can I drill then?
what size sump do I need?
what do I put in a sump? filter socks? refrigium? carbon? can I use my Hob skimmer in a sump?
how does a sump work if it doesn't have a return pump? what if the pump pumps out water faster then whats going in? will it flood?

Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
https://www.seachem.com/tidal-filters.php I use this HOB filter with added, Seachem Matrix Carbon, Seachem Purigen, and Poly-fil. My tank's water is clear as gin even with out the UVS. The Tidal filters rock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back