!!!SO I’VE BEEN THINKING!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was actually my original plan. kind of like the LRO thread this weekend. I thought I'd get large orders in and house them there, pre QT even as a kind of stabilizer system before i really ran them through the ringer. The thought of actively knowing I've got any kind of pest up there really scares me though. kind of goes against everything i do lol. It would however increase my wild colony survivability a lot though. I am so hard on new arrivals it's not even cool at all.

You worried about them jumpin’ flatworms?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was actually my original plan. kind of like the LRO thread this weekend. I thought I'd get large orders in and house them there, pre QT even as a kind of stabilizer system before i really ran them through the ringer. The thought of actively knowing I've got any kind of pest up there really scares me though. kind of goes against everything i do lol. It would however increase my wild colony survivability a lot though. I am so hard on new arrivals it's not even cool at all.
Just keep something in mind. You only partially made your reputation through your SPS. What really made your reputation is the quality of your coral and your customer service. It really doesn't matter if you sell SPS, clams, LPS or pizza by the slice. If you maintain your customer focus and the quality of your product you can market whatever you want.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep something in mind. You only partially made your reputation through your SPS. What really made your reputation is the quality of your coral and your customer service. It really doesn't matter if you sell SPS, clams, LPS or pizza by the slice. If you maintain your customer focus and the quality of your product you can market whatever you want.
[emoji106]

Specfishin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ordered from you. (Sad i know) but I do have a few businesses I will only deal with, hopefully yours soon as well. I'm in the middle of fine tuning my aquatic plans for the future. (Can you say bigger setup)That being said, I love the way you present yourself and your business. While I dont have the consumer transaction experience with you, the advertisement of your practices, experiences, challenges and helpful insight are more than enough to see you "care". You have made an impression on this future customer as well as many potential customers whom i'm sure see your communications and many customer reviews. So back on topic here, Yes, you should dabble a little with another coral type(s). But.. I see zoas as the joke of corals. I mean, seriously how many names can we call one particular colored zoa? The coral hype I see with many different vendors, is over the top. I'm rather tired of it. I have bought some hyped corals and never saw the bling I saw in the photos. Some i have. Those latter folks are the ones I choose to do business with. I'm certain I am not alone with that thinking process. You're a jedi master of sps. Don't lose that quality and build another. You will do just fine. Keep your heart in your works and you will be fruitful i'm sure. Best wishes to whichever route you choose. Looking foward to a battlebox soon and get some beautiful torches too.

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my take Adam.

I'd say go for it with one tank. I don't think you ever would but just don't become a chop shop of non-SPS; that is what almost all the other vendors are doing. I'd maybe collect some hotter pieces of various types and grow out. This gives people some variety when filling their baskets. Worst case scenario is you have a wet stable tank you can start filling with other SPS plus have some collector non-sps.

Either that or get on the hot indo acro train and let them stabilize for long term color and growth.

I would not do maricultured. I think that will definitely change your brand.

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your brand as beautiful aquacultured corals with quality being paramount. It doesnt need to be strictly sps. You have done an amazing job with the sps side of things, no reason not to provide the same for other types of coral.

My vote for new horizons would be rare goniopora type corals and rare soft corals, but listen to yourself if you have a hankering for expansion.

I think as long as the essence of your business stays the same you are good. Just don't cheapen your brand by diluting the quality of whatever type of coral you move on to providing next.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my take.

I would not bring wild colonies upstairs. It's so easy to mix up a piece of equipment, wet hands from one tank to another and bad things could happen. If you still have space in the basement, that would make the most sense. It takes trying to get an order out the door at the last minute and something gets mixed up. In my opinion, it's not worth it.

As far as other corals, I'd stick with the nicest corals around. I'd love to see a lot of the hard to find classics of SPS. I'd love to see unique and special pieces more so than common zoas and more rainbow acans. Now, if they are truly special rainbow acans, I'd love to see them. Bring in some classic and special chalices, fungias, scolys, etc. Keep things high-end and special. That doesn't mean it has a crazy price tag, but it's different and unique to either to Battlecorals or the hobby.

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea of BattleCorals stocking and growing a tank full of beginner SPS. Like the nicest classics & common pieces, grown to your standards with your service and passion, but lower prices than some of your gems. You’ve got some of that already, but a section of your website and a growout tank just for that would be awesome. BattleNoobs, BattleBeginners, BattleBeginnings, BattleCubs, BattleRookies, BattleVirgins, BattleClassics, BattleGreenies, etc...

And BattleClams... that’s amazing. Lol

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That trend from LRO caught my attention and made my heart pause forsure...ive got like over 75 battlepieces over the last several years and my battletank continues to reach new peaks...id like to try some "tanked harded" dinner size pieces from known vendors like you for sure...well more like tea cup dinner size. For now anything outside of sticks won't spark an interest for me like some of the fellow responses. I've always wanted a sps dream tank like what you see from the Germans and Japanese...all colorful collected sps colonies that have been through some quarantine process and been holding colors for months. First thing that went through my mind when I saw those LRO colonies was imagine all those in a a establish tank and not in those raceway flats...this will be a separate tank from my others of coarse.

louisvillereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are as passionate about other types of corals as you are about SPS, I suggest you forgo everything else and maintain your focus.

With all that extra space, maybe you just need to find other sources of new SPS?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unless you are as passionate about other types of corals as you are about SPS, I suggest you forgo everything else and maintain your focus.

With all that extra space, maybe you just need to find other sources of new SPS?

This really is where my thought process has been going actually. After a couple days of mulling and processing all the great feedback

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams and SPS , interesting, but this statement made my ears perk up....." I've got a trove of luscious gems coming down the pipe"

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that the only reason I shop other vendors is to get non-SPS corals - I have a mixed reef. If you DID decide to branch off into non-SPS corals, I would have no reason to shop elsewhere. :)

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked out the site, really look forward to ordering stuff from you!

60CubeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most hobbyists start off with LPS, or even a mixed reef. I know that's how I'm going. I believe the market for SPS are for tanks that have been set up for a while, and the slow growth/relative rarity drives up the price (and profit margins!). There certainly is some opportunity to be a one stop shop for corals--by investing in LPS, you'd be able to capture sales from people who are just starting out, have equipment that aren't high end enough to grow some of the exotic acros, or simply aren't confident in their ability to keep SPS. But as their tanks mature, they might want to venture out and try the SPS route. You've built a reputation for healthy SPS corals--why not leverage that existing expertise and apply it to LPS corals, especially since you have the space for it? You'd be able to capture sales from folks that are just starting out, and keep them as customers as they enjoy success and start the transition into SPS corals. Be selective with your stocking, and choose LPS that are super bright or unique. I was at RAP all weekend--it seems like LPS outsold SPS by a wide margin. I know I certainly would order corals exclusively from you if you had everything that I wanted.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I would love to see you expand even more into sps. Every time you make a thread spotlighting a new one, I instantly want it, come on who doesn't want more corals like the fleshdunce!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So this thread was extremely cathartic for me and has helped me in my decision making process for sure, I appreciate all the comments and feed back tremendously. I have decided to stick with what I know and what I do best. And that's seeking out and collecting the beset looking sps I can find, and growing them! I am already in the process of setting up another one of the tanks as a stand alone system for frags only. Hoping to build a larger inventory of "clipped and ready" frags, and will expand on that to include a vast wysiwyg section on the site as things progress.

This step makes the most sense to me at this time and was ultimately one of the goals I had for the new shop as it is. My passion is not for LPS I will openly admit this but if i have the opportunity to pick up a non sps gem or two here and there, as well as unique clams, i will absolutely do so and incorporate them into the the wysiwyg section.

what you guys think? You wan to see some progress pics of the new new tank setup or what?

Last edited:

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this thread was extremely cathartic for me and has helped me in my decision making process for sure, I appreciate all the comments and feed back tremendously. I have decided to stick with what I know and what I do best. And that's seeking out and collecting the beset looking sps I can find, and growing it! I am already in the process of setting up another one of the tanks as a stand alone system for frags only. Hoping to build a larger inventory of "clipped and ready" frags, and will expand on that to include a vast wysiwyg section on the site as things progress.

This step makes the most sense to me at this time and was ultimately one of the goals I had for the new shop as it is. My passion is not for LPS I will openly admit this but if i have the opportunity to pick up a non sps gem or two here and there, as well as unique clams, i will absolutely do so and incorporate them into the the wysiwyg section.

what you guys think? You wan to see some progress pics of the new new tank setup or what?
More pics would be great, Adam.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this thread was extremely cathartic for me and has helped me in my decision making process for sure, I appreciate all the comments and feed back tremendously. I have decided to stick with what I know and what I do best. And that's seeking out and collecting the beset looking sps I can find, and growing it! I am already in the process of setting up another one of the tanks as a stand alone system for frags only. Hoping to build a larger inventory of "clipped and ready" frags, and will expand on that to include a vast wysiwyg section on the site as things progress.

Are you kidding me !!!!!! Yes , ofcourse we wanna see . And WYSIWYG will be amazing as frags will be ready to go anytime . Love it ..

Regards,
abhishek

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back