So I bought a new tank without talking it over with the wife

How to distract my wife away from the unauthorized new tank purchase

• Total voters

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell her you plan on selling corals and it’s such an easy way to make money. Then go and buy high end nems, strats, and ridiculous acros. Win win buddy!

OP
OP
I

Iamnotyourtrigger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about creating some sort of elaborate story that gaslights your wife into believing its her fault the red sea tank didn't work out and that your actually saving her money from home damage expenses and numerous liabilities and that actually in this scenario your like a gift from god and she's lucky to have such a big brained guy around with so much foresight?

Honestly, I think this is the way to go...
i've
Do you need an official looking message saying you won it in a giveaway?
YES!!!!!!

OP
OP
I

Iamnotyourtrigger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also. if you get her diamond earrings, she will need new shoes to go with them and then you will have to go on a trip so she can show them off. Then you will have to hire a tank sitter.
If you take her on a trip, she will need new shoes and maybe one or two new outfits. Still have to hire a tank sitter.
If you get her new shoes, she will need a new outfit to go with her new shoes. Then you will have to take her to dinner to show off her new shoes. But no need to hire a tank sitter... much less stress for you.
If you give a mouse a cookie!

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one way, imo. Been married 20 years. Now your wife gets to spend the same amount of money you did. It hurts, but not as much as the alternative. Good luck!
Yep
We spend what we want within reason.
My wife complained when I said I was going to buy a new light and she saw the receipt for my Hydra32.
She/they forget they spend 100/200 on clothes every other week/month where I/we might spend that total once/twice a year.

How much does your wife spend on clothing, shoes, make up, spas, nails. I wouldn't mind betting over a year it eqauls out.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny, I just bought a new tank too. But I guess I have 4 months before delivery to figure out how to explain it. Hoping when it arrives she's not working from home. Thinking to buy a Regal and put it in the 32gal. Honey, I think your new fish needs a bigger tank?

OP
OP
I

Iamnotyourtrigger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny, I just bought a new tank too. But I guess I have 4 months before delivery to figure out how to explain it. Hoping when it arrives she's not working from home. Thinking to buy a Regal and put it in the 32gal. Honey, I think your new fish needs a bigger tank?
My tangs are outgrowing my current tank! Thats it @BubblesandSqueak

ahopki1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on why she is upset. If you spent the bill money on it or grocery money on it then you are just screwed. If there are things she wants that you have neglected getting for her/kids, you're still screwed. If you took all of the 'extra' money for the tank and there is nothing left for your wife/kids, you're screwed. Spending more money (if you don't have it) on your options above: won't make it any better. She is an after thought at this point. If you have disposable income, then you give her as much money as you spent on the tank and she can do whatever she wants with it. Like file for a divorce because you're selfish. But, if you both have your own money and this purchase does not cause her a financial hardship, then it's none of her business what you spend your money on. Wishing you the best :D

Driftdiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know how confusing some of those websites are….you were dream building on the website, which required you to create an account, and accidentally hit purchase when you meant to save your build. Unfortunately the system was a quick ship so no returns.

Or, just grow some cajones, explain the situation with the Red Sea and your concerns. Point out you are selling that system but need the new one to transfer everything to before you can sell it.

My wife literally just said if I do this, divorce court and she’s giving me the kids but taking the tanks.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back