So, I got a new tank...

Dlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the book, and thanks to all who read.

I've had my 45 going for about 3 months now, first in was a pair of clownfish. They were fine with each other ever since. No real fighting or anything, even as I added my other fish. Now, since Sunday, the female has started kicking the crap out of the male. To the point where his fins are all torn up, and he just hides in the rocks, behind the powerheads/return, etc. That is until she finds him. Then she darts at him and takes part of his fin.

I feel bad for the poor little guy. He's not much smaller than her, but he's very much more relaxed. She's wound really tight.

So, I picked up a Biocube 32.

My questions are: Should I pick up new rock for this tank, and do a new cycle? Can I take 10 pounds or so out of the 45 (I have about 30-40 pounds in there)? Will that be enough? What's the best way to set up the filter for this tank? Currently, I just cut a bunch of basic white sponge and filled the media trays with it. I'm going to get some bio media today to put in also. Do I need anything else?

Finally, and the biggest reason for this thread: Which clown should relocate? The female doesn't bother any of the other fish right now, but if I relocate the male, will she start? I also have a chalk basslet and red firefish that I'm thinking of moving to the new tank as well, but after that what other fish might I consider adding? Or should I just relocate one of the clowns and leave the rest as is in the 45 for now, and consider other things for stocking the 32?

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the book, and thanks to all who read.

I've had my 45 going for about 3 months now, first in was a pair of clownfish. They were fine with each other ever since. No real fighting or anything, even as I added my other fish. Now, since Sunday, the female has started kicking the crap out of the male. To the point where his fins are all torn up, and he just hides in the rocks, behind the powerheads/return, etc. That is until she finds him. Then she darts at him and takes part of his fin.

I feel bad for the poor little guy. He's not much smaller than her, but he's very much more relaxed. She's wound really tight.

So, I picked up a Biocube 32.

My questions are: Should I pick up new rock for this tank, and do a new cycle? Can I take 10 pounds or so out of the 45 (I have about 30-40 pounds in there)? Will that be enough? What's the best way to set up the filter for this tank? Currently, I just cut a bunch of basic white sponge and filled the media trays with it. I'm going to get some bio media today to put in also. Do I need anything else?

Finally, and the biggest reason for this thread: Which clown should relocate? The female doesn't bother any of the other fish right now, but if I relocate the male, will she start? I also have a chalk basslet and red firefish that I'm thinking of moving to the new tank as well, but after that what other fish might I consider adding? Or should I just relocate one of the clowns and leave the rest as is in the 45 for now, and consider other things for stocking the 32?
You could jump start the cycle of this new tank by adding filter media from your old tank as well as a bit of rock. I would also recommend adding a bottle of fritz turbo start. The filter can be filled with filter sponge as well as a carbon sponge if you want, and even a phosphate removal sponge. I would relocate the male clown just because it is injured and could be picked on by the other fish if the female were to not be doing it already. There are many great fish for a 32 gallon tank. One of my most favorites would be the Midas Blenny or the Bicolor Blenny both are very active and pretty.

OP
OP
Dlaw

Dlaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male clown it is. Unfortunately, my LFS doesn't carry Fritz. They carry Dr. Tim's, but that's expensive. I picked up a bunch of rock, and a bag of bio media. I already have ammo lock and stress guard, and I can grab one of the sponges from the 45 when I clean out the filter on Saturday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back