So who else is excited about the new HYDROS Control 4?

Jack Mammon Bifrons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody want to buy my Hydros and the three extra cords I bought with it. Just set it up over the weekend and it isn’t worth it for me. It didn’t get rid of all these power blocks as I thought and the gyres don’t operate at high enough speed. (And yes I programmed it correctly) Doesn’t pay to have if you already have an apex. It only communicates with the vortechs wirelesssly so those power blocks stay. The only block I got rid of was the gyre and the various 8 but the device has its own block plus the large mother device so it takes up more room. I was expecting to get rid of the blocks for all the eco tech stuff (three radions, mp40’s, gyres, various 8). Anyway I’m sure it would be good for other type setups but not mine. Best offer gets all.
Which gyre pump was it mate?

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I make a small suggestion that will bring in another segment of the hobby. Have an open RESTful API and allow us to communicate to/from the device for things like home automation, so we can make the integrations ourselves with external API's, voice control, and event chains.

/rant
This incessant need to make things proprietary and closed in this hobby is absolutely driving me nuts. Many of the major corporate automation frameworks I deal with on a day to day basis are open source by their very nature and are HIGHLY successful because of it. Allowing potentially thousands or more developers the ability to enhance your product for free should not be discarded for your vanity. Monetize your code through support and sell your hardware solutions - not the combination of the two in a locked ecosystem.

This goes for all hardware|software solutions. Be Google, not a ****** Apple.

Open source makes your product better for it.
/endrant
You wouldn’t happen to be a home assistant user would you?

I also would be interested in an open API for that reason. I like the reliability of an actual controller but would like to be able to view and make changes via my home automation interface.

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t happen to be a home assistant user would you?

I also would be interested in an open API for that reason. I like the reliability of an actual controller but would like to be able to view and make changes via my home automation interface.

No, but I do enterprise networking and system automation. I will eventually revisit whole home automation when I get my tank back up and running and have some spare cycles to dig into it. I was looking at openhab (https://www.openhab.org/) last time as a solution but I may end up doing something on my own.

Jack Mammon Bifrons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this carnt run a gyre 250 at full power im out. If it carnt run maxspects middle range pump at full power it wont run the top range at full power. I'd imagine it'll be the same for echotec pumps. If i brought a mp60 and only getting the lph of a mp40 thats makes it quite an expensive mp40.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on when these will actually start shipping? Quarter? Month? Trying to plan the rest of my build out, and was heavily considering this for control. What will be included for dongles in the kit?

Sometime between March and June. As of now, the Control 2 is $199.99 and comes with a temperature sensor and a WiFi controllable 4-outlet power strip. The Control 4 comes with a temperature sensor and Power 4 WiFi Power Strip. You also get a pH probe and a single WiFi Smart Plug that measures the current and wattage being consumed (perfect for a heater).

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime between March and June. As of now, the Control 2 is $199.99 and comes with a temperature sensor and a WiFi controllable 4-outlet power strip. The Control 4 comes with a temperature sensor and Power 4 WiFi Power Strip. You also get a pH probe and a single WiFi Smart Plug that measures the current and wattage being consumed (perfect for a heater).
What will determine the adapters for the different items to use sense ports for? Such as ato pump etc?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on when we will know the details/prices on the other accessories ? ORP and flow meters for instance?

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will determine the adapters for the different items to use sense ports for? Such as ato pump etc?

We are working on accessories now. I assume most if not all will be released when the controllers are. Some accessories that I am aware of that are in development include a CO2 Solenoid Valve, DC Solenoid Valve, DC Pump, AC Switch, Temperature Sensor, Skimmer Sensor, Level Sensor, Leak Detectors, and Flow Rate Sensors. The Sense Ports are universal so any sensor could be plugged into them, you won't need any sort of adapter. The ATO pump will plug into a Drive Port so it can be powered by the controller.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on when we will know the details/prices on the other accessories ? ORP and flow meters for instance?

Generally speaking, those of us who are lower on the totem pole don't know what pricing will be until right before the products come out. I think the Control 2 and 4 were an exception to the rule to get people excited about the prospect of actually being able to afford an aquarium controller.

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this carnt run a gyre 250 at full power im out. If it carnt run maxspects middle range pump at full power it wont run the top range at full power. I'd imagine it'll be the same for echotec pumps. If i brought a mp60 and only getting the lph of a mp40 thats makes it quite an expensive mp40.

The WaveEngine can run all gyre pumps at 100% EXCEPT for the XF280. On the XF280, the WaveEngine will only allow you to run it at a max of 75%.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, those of us who are lower on the totem pole don't know what pricing will be until right before the products come out. I think the Control 2 and 4 were an exception to the rule to get people excited about the prospect of actually being able to afford an aquarium controller.
Thanks good sir!!

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you need a guinea pig, I'm setting up an IM 50 lagoon currently and am looking at controller solutions for this AIO setup. I could integrate it with my existing automation but I'm leaning towards a more stand alone approach for safety factors.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a guinea pig, I'm setting up an IM 50 lagoon currently and am looking at controller solutions for this AIO setup. I could integrate it with my existing automation but I'm leaning towards a more stand alone approach for safety factors.

We have a waitlist for the beta group but I am happy to add you to it. Just email me at [email protected]. Thank you for your interest!

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J
We have a waitlist for the beta group but I am happy to add you to it. Just email me at [email protected]. Thank you for your interest!
Just Emailed you as wel :) would be a good fit for the 72 bow, I was considering doing a wifi inkbird, and 2 kasa powertrips, so this would give another option.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about a few home automation applications in the past, but I'm not ready for a controller yet so I haven't given it more than passing thought, and I'm not sure yet if it is something I'd get real use of or not.
1) local alarms - like turn a living room light a particular color for various parameters out of spec - so the alarms have different urgency
2) thermostat integration - where I live, it's hot most of the year. The furnace runs sparingly, and I might swap back and forth between furnace, AC, or nothing in the winter. If I was controlling the temperature of the tank directly, I might change the deadband of the heater depending on the house climate control mode - maybe fewer cycles is less risk of heater failure. Conversely, if a heater failed and I shut it off, I might alter the house temperature to give me longer to address the problem.
That said, the hubitat intrigues me, so if I got one, I'd probably want to link in my aquarium somehow just to demonstrate I could.
I'm a year or so from a controller in my mind, but this looks pretty interesting.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back