OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also learned some things along the way but I mainly watched the videos for entertainment purposes. I must admit I got caught up in the contests hype the first few times and bought a few things trying to win. They were always stuff that I would eventually need maybe just not at the moment. I even won my cart money back once! Not hating at all in this thread, I just honestly miss how entertaining the videos were with both Ryan and randy!

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, I agree somewhat - but look at it from the point of a complete noob. When I first started, I knew literally nothing. Even the "common sense" was 100% absent. At a bare minimum, they give you a blueprint for what to buy, how to set it up, how to start it up, how to manage the basics - and if you follow it, you'd be hard pressed to completely fail. If you take the time to listen to all of 52 weeks of reefing like I did - you'll learn quite a bit about water chemistry and corals that are absolutely not known to a noob.

It helped me...

I agree with this sentiment. I was not a complete noob, but I felt like it after returning to reefing after 20 years last fall. I found the BRS videos in short order and watched a ton of them. I completely agree that they gave me a super solid foundation of the basics. There is nowhere on R2R that I've found that methodically lays out all of the basics the way their videos did in an easily digestible, and often entertaining way. I fell they do a pretty good job of balancing their business interests with what came through as a genuine passion for the hobby. The intersection of passion for the subject and your career / day job is where we should all aspire to land and I felt like that's what came through most often in their videos. I didn't feel like they tried to push any of their investigates as peer reviewed science, but there also wasn't typically other objective sources for the type of information they were trying to gather so still very valuable additions to the hobby. Sure you can come here, but all you frequently get is many conflicting opinions on a topic that devolve into rudeness at best, all out flame wars at worst. As a relative newbie this past fall, I found it much harder to get reasonably aligned points of view / conclusions out of this forum and appreciated that they at least had an approach to uncovering some objective truth. Take their recent videos on biome for example. Many of the scenarios they tested didn't rely on buying products from them, and at least one used a product they weren't selling. Ultimately some of the best performing tanks didn't rely on buying products from them. I followed the approach of the winning tanks out of that and have experienced a ton of success. Was it the only approach, of course not, but when I did have some challenges that I posted here I got 75 different opinions, many of which were not grounded in the facts I'd laid out, and many of them flaming me for the approach I took. I've never felt sorry I went looking for an answer when digging through their videos like I do when posting here at times. There is a ton of value in having forums like this but I think there is a ton of value in what they provide as well. Ultimately I did buy a bunch of my stuff from them when I got setup. I was going to buy it anyways, their prices were the same as everyone else, and they had provided me with a ton of resources no one else did. I for one felt like it was a smart business model, and as they are clearly hobbyists themselves, I was happy to give them my money. In the end, when you think about the value of the videos, I got a lot more value for my money buying with them.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with this sentiment. I was not a complete noob, but I felt like it after returning to reefing after 20 years last fall. I found the BRS videos in short order and watched a ton of them. I completely agree that they gave me a super solid foundation of the basics. There is nowhere on R2R that I've found that methodically lays out all of the basics the way their videos did in an easily digestible, and often entertaining way. I fell they do a pretty good job of balancing their business interests with what came through as a genuine passion for the hobby. The intersection of passion for the subject and your career / day job is where we should all aspire to land and I felt like that's what came through most often in their videos. I didn't feel like they tried to push any of their investigates as peer reviewed science, but there also wasn't typically other objective sources for the type of information they were trying to gather so still very valuable additions to the hobby. Sure you can come here, but all you frequently get is many conflicting opinions on a topic that devolve into rudeness at best, all out flame wars at worst. As a relative newbie this past fall, I found it much harder to get reasonably aligned points of view / conclusions out of this forum and appreciated that they at least had an approach to uncovering some objective truth. Take their recent videos on biome for example. Many of the scenarios they tested didn't rely on buying products from them, and at least one used a product they weren't selling. Ultimately some of the best performing tanks didn't rely on buying products from them. I followed the approach of the winning tanks out of that and have experienced a ton of success. Was it the only approach, of course not, but when I did have some challenges that I posted here I got 75 different opinions, many of which were not grounded in the facts I'd laid out, and many of them flaming me for the approach I took. I've never felt sorry I went looking for an answer when digging through their videos like I do when posting here at times. There is a ton of value in having forums like this but I think there is a ton of value in what they provide as well. Ultimately I did buy a bunch of my stuff from them when I got setup. I was going to buy it anyways, their prices were the same as everyone else, and they had provided me with a ton of resources no one else did. I for one felt like it was a smart business model, and as they are clearly hobbyists themselves, I was happy to give them my money. In the end, when you think about the value of the videos, I got a lot more value for my money buying with them.
Completely agree. They helped me quite a bit as well and often in an entertaining way.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new videos with Elliot and Randy are good
Just watched the new one today! I hope they continue putting this type of content out. I think Ryan needs to get back on the RedBull though, he seemed pretty tired…

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found him far more relatable - and consistent

Ryan buys 2K of gonis at a crack, and changes mind about 2 UVs vs 1 vs none in a span of a year - no time for that

Do miss randy and have stopped watching for anything new from BRS
Hadn’t even noticed until now, the BRS continues to use his smiling face to represent them in the side banner ad on reef 2 reef
Hope he gets residuals

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Lebron James GIF by Uninterrupted

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though he was a bit annoying with the way he interacted with Ryan, I kinda miss his brs videos. I see that lately the interesting videos brs made are a thing of the past. I guess too expensive to make without a big enough roi for the investors. Who else misses the videos from before the buyout?
I do for sure

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also learned some things along the way but I mainly watched the videos for entertainment purposes. I must admit I got caught up in the contests hype the first few times and bought a few things trying to win. They were always stuff that I would eventually need maybe just not at the moment. I even won my cart money back once! Not hating at all in this thread, I just honestly miss how entertaining the videos were with both Ryan and randy!
Wow at least you won something. Most of us got caught up in the giveaways. Spend $500 for that Chinese coffee mug .

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely noticed the change when Randy left. It just doesn't seem like BRS. Love him or hate him he took his job pretty serious and probably wanted a bigger piece of the buyout money.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I definitely noticed the change when Randy left. It just doesn't seem like BRS. Love him or hate him he took his job pretty serious and probably wanted a bigger piece of the buyout money.
I have noticed no change - and IMHO no one is irreplaceable.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm less inclined to buy from them now that they do not provide the useful content. I buy from saltwateraquarium.com because the prices are the same, but the shipping is much faster and free, and I like to support a small family business, and they sponsor reef beef, which is a podcast I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back