Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though he was a bit annoying with the way he interacted with Ryan, I kinda miss his brs videos. I see that lately the interesting videos brs made are a thing of the past. I guess too expensive to make without a big enough roi for the investors. Who else misses the videos from before the buyout?

I agree, its not quite the same without him.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t watch their stuff much though they seemed nice enough. A lot of the investigate stuff didn’t seem very scientific or had holes if you ask me.

I find certain members of forums a lot more informative.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gobbled up all their videos three years ago when I started and they were very educational for a noob. But since the buyout all the cool stuff stopped. Thomas doesn’t do the fun reaction videos, the investigates stuff pretty much stopped (these were in my opinion the most interesting), and Ryan’s videos slowed to a crawl. Even when there were obvious marketing videos - at least Randy and Ryan interjected honest opinions, assessments, and some recommendations. I believed they were out to help and trusted their intent even if the information was wrong or subjective etc.

The last bastion was when Ryan and Randy sat together and just BS‘d for an hour. That was actually entertaining if you were in the mood for it - something to have on in the background, but now that’s even gone.

I barely watch anymore.

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, maybe not. You just have to understand that Ryan is a very goal driven person who had a vision and making it happen. Nothing wrong. In fact people in and out of the hobby should respect that because it is a success story.

With regards to content that is a different issue. Much of the content on the web is horrible as it relates to our hobby. A lot more success in the hobby when people opened a book instead of asking a search engine of forum.
Nothing wrong with mergers or specifically this one. Randy just doesn't seem to fit the corporate life and would prefer a smaller more informal culture. Once you introduce a financial backer, the culture can take a change for the worse. Even if we don't see it publicly.

I've been in the hobby for about 16 years; before there was much content on the web. It's nice now that information flows so freely however you need to be selective of what you listen to. LOTS of opinions with very little backing. I'm reefing the same way I did in the beginning with very slight changes.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were there to sell products. They are all the same to me. Sometimes they hit the mark to make it seem like the products were great and other times it fell short. Even though videos would get pulled when they were found to be terrible, never an actual retraction or apology that stuck. To me, they were the sham-wow guy also doing commercials for the slap chop, ever-sharp knives, furniture sliders and vacuum storage bags.

Wait, that is not totally fair. They did do a bit of helpful stuff that was not just to sell. They were a little better than the sham-wow guy, but still further down that road than a video version of Dr. Ron, Dr. RHF, etc. who is here for the hobby and not for any product, manufacturer or supplier.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were there to sell products. They are all the same to me. Sometimes they hit the mark to make it seem like the products were great and other times it fell short. Even though videos would get pulled when they were found to be terrible, never an actual retraction or apology that stuck. To me, they were the sham-wow guy also doing commercials for the slap chop, ever-sharp knives, furniture sliders and vacuum storage bags.

Wait, that is not totally fair. They did do a bit of helpful stuff that was not just to sell. They were a little better than the sham-wow guy, but still further down that road than a video version of Dr. Ron, Dr. RHF, etc. who is here for the hobby and not for any product, manufacturer or supplier.

The salt mix and storage was good.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others who have said it already but I basically quit watching their videos after the Bertram buyout, so I don’t really miss him being on the channel.
After the buyout the videos changed from interesting videos that test or explain things in the hobby to just pushing their products. I don’t blame anyone who makes the best moves for their business or themselves, but with the buyout BRS went from what I saw as genuinely caring about the hobby to only caring about how to make the most money possible.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, you just can't win if you have a store. It doesn't matter how many informational videos you make, or how many times you say NOT to buy a product in a video – you still get called a shill.

At the end of the day, yes, of course they provide for their families by selling stuff for our hobby. But they have been very clear that by putting their efforts into helping reefers succeed in the hobby (especially beginners) that their business succeeds as well – without ever having to "push" anything on anyone.

Regarding Randy, Ryan, and the "terrible" videos now that Bertram came along, I'm not the least bit worried about it. This is a period of transition. I do think that losing Randy was a big blow to their video production processes, and to Ryan's comfort level in making videos. It seemed pretty clear that Ryan loved having a partner on camera with him – even if all he did was agree with everything. It took years for Randy to grow into that supporting role and partner status for Ryan, and I think that it WILL take time until we start to see content like we're used to. And that's OK. I've got PLENTY of other stuff to watch until then.

I think that quality video content is priority number one to Ryan and BRS. Ryan pretty much put reefing industry videos on the map. The fact that we're seeing a lack of normal high quality content like BRS Investigates doesn't mean they're done with it. It means they're in transition. Anybody that has started a business or worked in decision-making role in a business knows that changes take time. Ecotech, Neptune and BRS are all in a state of change. And BRS isn't the only one that's a little "quiet" right now.

This thread is obviously one where everyone's gonna complain about Bertram, call Ryan a shill and just catastrophize in general. I just wanted to briefly interrupt and show a little BRS love. OK! Everybody back to complaining!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I liked the sham-wow, just saying.

EDIT - Kidding

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, you just can't win if you have a store. It doesn't matter how many informational videos you make, or how many times you say NOT to buy a product in a video – you still get called a shill.
Agree.

1) This is a business for everyone except the hobbyists themselves. Bertram, BRS, Eco-Tech and Neptune. Even R2R. If you are expecting them to act in ways that go against their business interests, it's gonna be a long wait. You don't, why should they?

2) The video content is FREE (but it's not free for them to produce). I appreciate all of the information and advice they have provided over the years. They gave it to me for FREE.

3) When I first started doing this, the internet as we know it was still many years in the future. Your sources of information were the guy at your LFS and Moe. I want you to imagine doing this hobby without the internet. No pictures. No videos. No message boards. No one to ask for guidance. Nothing. This is why I appreciate the FREE content.

4) My impression of the older content is that they were always leery of pushing product too hard. That may have changed, I don't watch their content chronologically. But even so, I like when vendors take the time to produce content for my review. It helps me with purchase decisions.

Okay, how did I get here? Rant off. lol

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe that BRS shined a super bright light on many topics of our hobby. The videos helped a ton of people and I’m very glad they put them together. That being said, post Randy (but much more likely, post Bertram Capitol) things have noticeably changed. I would give them the benefit of doubt, and hope this is just a transition period and things will get back running soon. Myself, I’m doubtful and have stopped watching the what used to be called investigates channel (they changed the name which leads me to believe that segment may have perished). I despise the infomercial content they have now. At least throw in the whole, the first fifty callers will get a second for free…..but wait, there’s more. It slices it dices, it UGH! I did buy in to a lot of the hype they put out there, some of which is completely unnecessary and I totally struggled on my first bare bottom for a very long time before they finally were completely honest with the mistakes video. However it was a fun and informative ride. I did get a kick out of watching those two.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like to watch videos where people sit around and BS but reef related. I recommend Reef Beef.
That and I just started the Reefing Report which has been fun. Can be a bit long but I don’t mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back