Soft and lps corals

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Am planning a reef aquarium and as a newcomer want to make my first intro into marine as stress free as possible.
Am hoping to mix some soft corals with lps corals as the tank matures. Have obtAined a list of beginner soft corals but is there any I should avoid when considering hard corals tank mates ie overgrowth, aggression etc? Ie hoping to minimise fragging/pruning early on, or evicting a species because it's poor suitability with Lps.
Thank you for any advise

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid things like Xenia and Kenya Tree corals. The only time i would recommend them is if you really love them and want a tank full of them. Mushrooms can do the same thing, but in my experience other more aggressive corals have kept them at bay. Keep in mind any coral is programmed to spread and grow. Zoas are a great softie starter. A lot of nice color for cheap, good way to test your parameters, and while they can grow rapidly, they are quite slower compared to Xenia/Kenya.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some LPS are good starter corals. Just make sure you plan your aquascape so as they grow warfare doesn't cause problems.

Pg513

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most mushrooms are very hardy and typically don't need a lot of light and flow. Zoas are hardy as well but seem to like a little more light and flow.

As far as LPS, I would look at a branching frogspawn or hammer. Give them room around them due to their feeder tentacles. Ime, they like low flow and medium light.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your more fleshy brain corals will have issues with some soft corals. Leathers are hardy, but also can produce toxins that bother many lps. Hammer and frogspawn are good and more tollerant lps. Zoas are always fun and colorful. IMO

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back