Solve my salt creep issue!

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have a rimless waterbox 50.3 with a custom lid made from TopLids. Sadly, I have serious salt creep issues. It is absolutely terrible. Drips down the sides of the tank and all over the top of the lid over the course of a couple days. Anyone have any ideas to solve this issue?

I was wondering if maybe I propped it up with small rubber pieces, maybe the condensation wouldn't get between the lid and the rim of the tank?

Thanks guys!

Kevin

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are 2 images

603D0C23-B0F8-4544-9BB8-42E2668D62DB.jpeg

CBBA5902-AF76-4923-B965-7A3F37C005DF.jpeg

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This shows the water level a little better, but that is the lowest it goes.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you seeing the salt creep happen? I don't see any reason why it would happen.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding from monitoring it, is that somehow, tank water gets in-between the lid and the rim of the tank. Salt creep then builds on the outside of the lid and sometimes even runs in lines down the tank. When I get home today, I will try and get a picture of the salt creep build up. I just cleaned it Saturday, but I am sure some is starting to build up already.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it sits right on top on the tank. I can try and get better pictures today

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thats what I am thinking as well. I am wondering if I get thin rubber washers, and rest them on the 4 corners and middle of the lid, it could solve the issue while also still being a good lid for the tank?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface agitation will create a misting. That mist gets up in between the lid and the top of the tank. When the water evaporates, salt is all that is left. As this continues to happen, you get salt build up or "creep".

Salt creep is a fact of life in any tank I've ever owned. Through diligent husbandry, I keep it at bay. You may want to try and put a seal around the top of the tank to sit between the tank and lid. This may prevent some moisture from getting in between the tank and lid and reduce the amount of creep. But I don't think you will ever eliminate it completely.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not sure how to do that. This was the lowest I was able to get it

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to choose between salt creep or extensive evaporation (I live in the desert). The glass lid collects the splashing and misting and over a few days it looks ugly. I just try to wipe it down every morning when I feed the fish. Staying on top of it helps.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, my mp10s are lower in the water column and the 2 return nozzles just agitate the surface of the water in the center. I believe all waterbox tanks have their water level somewhere in between the waterbox aquarium logo on the left hand side of the glass. I would love to lower the water level, but don't think I can.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say with it sitting on top and a high water level is causing it. Any splashing will cause the water to wick up into the seam.

^^ This! I still have glass tops on my tank, and the water will wick up the corners and then get into the top frame, and make its way to the corners. It got so bad, I thought my tank was leaking.

Yes, thats what I am thinking as well. I am wondering if I get thin rubber washers, and rest them on the 4 corners and middle of the lid, it could solve the issue while also still being a good lid for the tank?

Maybe try some pieces of acrylic. You could get some solvent, a small piece of acrylic, from HD or lowes for about $10. This way you don't have the rubber causing an eyesore. Well, it wouldnt be an eyesore to some, but with that nice clean set up, I'd want to keep the look as best as possible.

OP
OP
KKerm2

KKerm2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That is a good idea. Acrylic would blend easier I think. Not sure if it will definitely work. Just wondering if a tiny air gap would solve the issue while not being really noticeable.

T Carey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is most likely the splashing you mentioned.
Get rid of the splashing and the salt creep will stop.
What is the source of the splashing. In my systems it is bubbles. I control the bubbles and the salt creep mostly goes away. Algae growing up the side of the tank from the water level to the lid will provide a path for the water to wick up and that could also be the path. So I'd check on the inside of the glass and make sure that it is clean. A little razor blade action should do the trick.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back