Some SPS STN Some Healthy

Fish.Bum00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the 8 month mark on my first reef tank. I struggled with SPS early on, no surprise.

In the last two months I've added some easy sps, including birdsnest, pocillopora, monti cap, bali green slimer. They were all off to great starts, encrusting and showing growth.

I got excited and found some great deals from some local hobbyists. Purchased Fox Flame, PC Rainbow, and Hawkins.

The odd thing is that they had all been together healthy for about a month when the birdsnest, and slimer are now showing early signs of STN, while the Monti cap, Pocillopora, Flame, Hawkins, and Rainbow are continuing to encrust, grow and have awesome color.

I'll post my Parameters below, but in what case would the easy sps struggle while the more challenging ones, like deep water Hawkins thrive?

And not to derail the main question, but does STN ever just stop? Do you ever wait and see or do you cut the healthy part immediately?

Appreciate any feedback. Would live to start having more success with SPS.

Parameters:
Salanity 1.26
Ph: 8.0
Alk 9.8
Ca 450
Mg: 1350
NO3: 5-10
PO4: 04

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe that it doesn't matter what SPS corals get RTN/STN. Across the board it can happen to any of them. A thin spot in tissue can start it, but not in every case. It is a mistery why it starts.

In some cases it will stop, but more often than not, it will continue till the whole coral is dead or dieing.

OP
OP
Fish.Bum00

Fish.Bum00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly believe that it doesn't matter what SPS corals get RTN/STN. Across the board it can happen to any of them. A thin spot in tissue can start it, but not in every case. It is a mistery why it starts.

In some cases it will stop, but more often than not, it will continue till the whole coral is dead or dieing.
Thank you. Just trying to figure things out. Dont like killing coral.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is too high with po4 as low as yours. Sps frags do much better with 0.08-0.12 po4 with an alk closer to 8-8.5. Are you using gfo, carbon dosing, like nopox or using vibrant? Those caused stn every time I used them with sps frags.

OP
OP
Fish.Bum00

Fish.Bum00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did use chemiclean for some cyano, but the other sps are doing well.

I'm using IO Reef Crystals. I know there numbers run a little high, but have seen people with awesome tanks running the same salt. Otherwise skimmer, sponge, cheateo, live rock.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is too high with po4 as low as yours. Sps frags do much better with 0.08-0.12 po4 with an alk closer to 8-8.5. Are you using gfo, carbon dosing, like nopox or using vibrant? Those caused stn every time I used them with sps frags.
carbon dosing caused STN in your tank? how did that happen?

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did use chemiclean for some cyano, but the other sps are doing well.

I'm using IO Reef Crystals. I know there numbers run a little high, but have seen people with awesome tanks running the same salt. Otherwise skimmer, sponge, cheateo, live rock.
Its probably a mix of things but I've heard of people losing sps after dosing chemiclean.

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stn/rtn is very common in sps when carbon dosing. Usually from newbies or ppl that are chasing low nutrients.
Wondering if this could happen from sudden stop to carbon dosing or from hard stop for a few days then jumping back up to almost full dosing equally as fast?

Mine were doing fine until I hard stopped, lights out and dosed peroxide for dinos, then came back with carbon dosing quick. I'm sure its a combination of all of that, but am curious how much rapid carbon dosing changes plays a part in it.

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably a mix of things but I've heard of people losing sps after dosing chemiclean.
I lost two leptos and a cyphastrea this week by dosing chemiclean. First time it has ever happened to my tanks and the only thing that has been done different recently.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can attest to this. Had a new milli frag go from happy & colorful to dead bone white in less than 24 hours during a chemiclean treatment.
Rest of my SPS was mostly unfazed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back