Sooo... Many...Skimmers

What Skimmer Brand do you Trust/Use? And why?

• Skimz

• Deltec

• Innovative Marine

• Reef Octopus

• EShopps

• Vertex

• Somatic

• Tunze

• Precision marine

• NYOS

• Aqua Maxx

• Bubble Magus

• Ice Cap

• LifeReef

• Other - ASk and I will Add

• SCA

• Eco Tech

• Aqua C

• Simplicity Aquatics

• ASM

• Euro Reef

• Bubble King

• Diablo

Results are only viewable after voting.

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a new build, and was thinking of going Vertex, but by more than one person was talked out of it and into Reef Octopus. I'm going to be going with the Regal 200 INT and am super excited to use it. I currently have the Bubble Magus curve 7 and find it to be a bit too inconsistent and hard to dial in, and that is with a constant water level!

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not agree. I have four set ups rt now and have had upwards of 15 total in my years Reefing. I have 2 non Reef Octopus skimmers now. Redline. Complete Junk. And a Tunze. Ok job. I’ve had others as well. I have had a total of 7 Reef Octopus all different models always worked fantastic w very little tuning. Have not had the same experience w others. Even super pricey skimmers. Although Reef Octopus are not cheap they are bye far the most effective in my experience. I’m about to throw this redline in the garbage and throw a Reef Octopus Classic 150 on there with confidence it will work flawlessly. That is just my experience. I’m sure others have had good success w others. For me I will not stray away from RO ever again unless I win a Skimmer in contest which I would quickly trade for another backup Reef Octopus.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw that too... uncontrollable DC power makes me worry
I am a Bubble Magus fan. You don't need adjustability on a skimmer or variable speed or slow ramp up or any of that other stuff. The pump is sized for the skimmer from the factory. DC is fine for the power saving but adjustability is unnecessary.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LifeReef are awesome skimmers. The best venturi on the market, IMO. Only downside is a bit more power on the pump. I would use one if you can fit it in the stand... the one that I have is 48" tall, so I can use it a basement sump only.

Beckett and DownDraft will outperform all needlewheels that I have ever used... even a BK or Deltec. Again, need more power hungry pumps, but are performance monsters. I just replaced a needlewheel running 32 watts with a ETTS with Mag 12 and the Mag 12 is using 72 watts at the current spin rate... so 40 more watts. This is worth it to me to pull more gunk out of the water.

For needlewheels, just look for a proven combo. I have a RO with a sicce pump that is really good, but the same skimmer with the RO and Bubble Blaster pumps leaves a lot to be desired and I cannot recommend them. I have tried a few of the cone simmers with bubble plates like Magnus and AquaMaxx, but they are kinda just OK like the recent RO line. Proven combos like ASM and EuroReef are as good as any new skimmer today outside of Bubble King, but they are not sexy choices.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many skimmers

Skimz , RO, bubble King, aquamaxx, swc, lifereef and vertex

Best needlewheel is bubbleking for me follow by skimz

Right now I'm using my new lifereef sv3 and I love it. It just keeps on chugging and pulling out crap. All the other skimmers needs constant maintenance cause the Venturi gets clog with salt build ups. I haven't had to clean my lifereef yet.

sc_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Simplicity Aquatics 320 DC Skimmer. My total water volume with the sump and display refugium is 220 gallons. For me customer service and great product is what I look for when purchasing anything for my aquarium. The skimmers build and price are affordable compared to other skimmers on the market. I have a YouTube channel and I did several videos on this skimmer. My YouTube channel name is SC Reefer check out this skimmer.

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Skimz Sk304 and think it does really well. Took a little bit of time to dial it in, but it has been working awesome since.

Had a Bubble Magus Curve 5 and always had trouble with it randomly bubbling over.

I am sure whatever you get will do excellent!

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Skimz sk 304 and I think it does a great job. Took a little time to dial it in, but has been working fantastic since.

I use to run a Bubble Magus Curve 5 and always had trouble with it randomly bubbling over.

Whatever you go with I am sure will do just fine.

txreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran many skimmers in my 20 years of reefing. I currently run a skimz and it skims well. I also currently have a bashsea Beckett skimmer and it’s a beast but takes a large pump. My favorite has been euro reef but they aren’t in business anymore so I bought a ASM it uses a Sedra pump no fancy cone or bubble plate and it is a skimming monster. I will be replacing my skimz for a asm because it just works.

CamInDFW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Simplicity 120 - great build quality and DC pump. I like a quiet tank and this fits the bill. I've used Bubble Magus in the past and this is so much quieter! Look for the ability to completely disassemble the entire skimmer body for cleaning.. It can be so frustrating to have a clean and shinny sump and then to see a dirty skimmer body..

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bubble King all the way! Royal Excluiv products have a premium price but I've never been disappointed in the quality.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a new build, and was thinking of going Vertex, but by more than one person was talked out of it and into Reef Octopus. I'm going to be going with the Regal 200 INT and am super excited to use it. I currently have the Bubble Magus curve 7 and find it to be a bit too inconsistent and hard to dial in, and that is with a constant water level!
Getting the 200SSS as well :)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer for years. Was able to get parts for it after years of use. I bought a RO 152s when I wanted a bigger one for a sump. If you keep me happy I come back with more business.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked Deltec, RO and another. But the RO I have experience with is their Elite model, which costs well above $400. The Deltec is a good choice because they're sized appropriately and are simple and don't cost a fortune.

And IIRC, Nyos is Ecotech's skimmer.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back