Sooo... Many...Skimmers

What Skimmer Brand do you Trust/Use? And why?

• Skimz

• Deltec

• Innovative Marine

• Reef Octopus

• EShopps

• Vertex

• Somatic

• Tunze

• Precision marine

• NYOS

• Aqua Maxx

• Bubble Magus

• Ice Cap

• LifeReef

• Other - ASk and I will Add

• SCA

• Eco Tech

• Aqua C

• Simplicity Aquatics

• ASM

• Euro Reef

• Bubble King

• Diablo

Results are only viewable after voting.

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote has to go to Tunze 9410.

With it's self cleaning air intake and the fact that the bubble reactor section comes out with the collection cup for cleanings, this skimmer will operate at peak potential nearly 100% of the time.

This skimmer is truly one of a kind with 20 (30?) + years of innovation behind it. Love my Tunze skimmer! And it's within your price range. :)

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used several I can't remember including one lime wood air stone powered in the early 90's. I've had AquaC, LifeReef, Deltec, Reef Octo, CPR.
They all worked, well, the air stone one didn't do a whole lot.
AquaC was amazing in smaller sized with upgraded pumps and taller collection cups. The Beckett, or whatever is inside, would sometimes get clogged by debris but really amazing power for size. However, they seem to be defunct or something from a buyout.
LifeReef are good but more power and they're tall.
Overall I'd say Reef Octo. I've run their 150int, 5000int, and 5000sss.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
th
Diablo EXT

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Eshoppes PSK-100, it does ok. There are so many great skimmer options out there I have considered upgrading to, but I worry balancing low levels of nitrates and phosphates. I don't want to strip the water, so I may try to find a balance with what I have first.

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm there with Bpb. His 5 points were accurate and true. I only have used one other brand, which was a Tunze, good skimmer, but I went with, and are currently using a Lifereef svs2. Four years now. No malfunctions, extremely quiet, easy to adjust, and once adjusted it seldom needs tweeking. The skimmate can be set real wet or extremely dry which ever you like. Even tho the pump isn't located inside the skimmer body, (IMO a good thing) the foot print of the skimmer and the pump is pretty small compared to the other skimmers of the same capacity, ( this is for the in sump model).

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the skimmers I have had over my 30 years in the hobby, I would rate them as follows:
1. Lifereef. Just set it up and go. Needs less cleaning, much easier to adjust, and the least amount of adjusting by far than the others.
2. Bubble King: Extremely well made and reliable. However just not worth the money.
3. Vertex: Similar to Bubble King but required a lot of adjusting. Was hard to tune in.
4. Reef Octopus. Good but required must more tuning than Lifereef, harder to dial in than Lifereef, just not as solidly made as any of the other 3.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input and voting...

Hard to argue data, it appears I will be shopping for a R.O.

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from bubble magus curve 7 to JNS (Aquamaxx) ConeS Q-03 and couldn't be happier.

Fast break-in time, large secured cup, quality built, unique designed plate, and started pulling junk in less than 24 hours (no vinegar bath).

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what people are missing is that skimmers are very simple devices, and as long as you get in the top ~10 brands you will have a VERY similar experience. If you go with an off brand eBay/fish-street skimmer, it will most likely also work pretty well.

I have an aquamax CO1 on my 90g, works great and pulls out a cup of dark skimmate a week. On my 350g (volume) I bought an open box BRSTV reef octopus regal 250sss, with auto cleaning head from BulkreefSupply.

(Great deals there IMO. Save 20-25% on something brand new that is MSRP!)

Insanely convenient- all you need to do is drain the cup. Here is a photo from before I got it calibrated- skimmate is still too light here. In addition, it will automatically shut off if the cup is full. Then my apex notices it is not pulling power when it is supposed to, and sends me a text :). Dummy proof. But I could get same performance (not convenience) for hundreds less.

uuR6N7N.jpg

asmodyus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG it is so hard to find a skimmer for a 180 Gallon Mixed reef tank seems that there either to big or just to small.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus are a heavy hitter for bang for the buck. They have been very popular for over a decade, have grown and improved both their products and as a company.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back