Sooo... Many...Skimmers

What Skimmer Brand do you Trust/Use? And why?

• Skimz

• Deltec

• Innovative Marine

• Reef Octopus

• EShopps

• Vertex

• Somatic

• Tunze

• Precision marine

• NYOS

• Aqua Maxx

• Bubble Magus

• Ice Cap

• LifeReef

• Other - ASk and I will Add

• SCA

• Eco Tech

• Aqua C

• Simplicity Aquatics

• ASM

• Euro Reef

• Bubble King

• Diablo

Results are only viewable after voting.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life Reef FTW....If not one of those, anything that doesn't have a DC pump....I have a box full of broken Skimz controller boxes. Will never again....

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex, Somatic, Tunze, AquaMaxx.

Somatic / Vertex can be slightly tricky to dial in, you really have to learn to use your skimmer as a tool, it's less friendly to absolute novices.. But they're amazing when you figure out their quirks, probably among the best of the best.

Tunze and Aquamaxx have never let me down in any regard in general. They are solid reliable workhorses. The only issue is Tunze are large, and AquaMaxx tend to be sold out/out of stock most of the time.

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried ASM and hated them, never could get adjusted right. Went to RO and had no problem for years. Currently redoing tank and I chose to try out Simplicity. I have only run it in vinegar to clean, and then to break in but it is very quiet. I can't say how well it will skim or how long it will last since I am only cycling now.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of vendors I have in this poll (I'm sure there is many I missed) gives attest to my issue with choosing a skimmer. This is just too many choices for 1 product, It's unbelievable how many vendors manage to continue carrying this product with such a vast range of competitors.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of choices, for sure. One of the more weird things is that the cost of almost every skimmer is on the order of 10x the cost of materials... which is even stranger considering how much competition there is. It's almost like there is price-fixing going on (although I'm sure there is not). Also strange because the designs of most of the popular skimmers are really extremely similar, so it's not as though one skimmer has much better technology than another, justifying a higher price. Build materials also don't differ much from one to another, so it's not as though the most expensive products are gold-plated or anything.

The best skimmers I've ever used, and I've used a lot of them, are Aqua C and AquaMaxx. But the Aqua C's are impossible to clean internally and rather tricky to set up. The AquaMaxx uses a special pump/impeller which I have only been able to find at Marine Depot; and that impeller's ridiculous cost is higher than the cost of most pumps. But it's also one of the few skimmers whose small footprint fits easily in my sump, and it just works like crazy.

Maybe it would help to narrow the choices if you place limits on height, footprint, cost of replacement parts, etc.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of choices, for sure. One of the more weird things is that the cost of almost every skimmer is on the order of 10x the cost of materials... which is even stranger considering how much competition there is. It's almost like there is price-fixing going on (although I'm sure there is not). Also strange because the designs of most of the popular skimmers are really extremely similar, so it's not as though one skimmer has much better technology than another, justifying a higher price. Build materials also don't differ much from one to another, so it's not as though the most expensive products are gold-plated or anything.

The best skimmers I've ever used, and I've used a lot of them, are Aqua C and AquaMaxx. But the Aqua C's are impossible to clean internally and rather tricky to set up. The AquaMaxx uses a special pump/impeller which I have only been able to find at Marine Depot; and that impeller's ridiculous cost is higher than the cost of most pumps. But it's also one of the few skimmers whose small footprint fits easily in my sump, and it just works like crazy.

Maybe it would help to narrow the choices if you place limits on height, footprint, cost of replacement parts, etc.

Very true, Some of these points have already been made earlier as well..

The aim of this poll was to more of a feeler for peoples experiences with Dependability, vendor CS and how they back up their products. I gave everyone 3 choices, and the answer is quite clear to the winner. R.O. will be my 1st choice.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what people are missing is that skimmers are very simple devices, and as long as you get in the top ~10 brands you will have a VERY similar experience. If you go with an off brand eBay/fish-street skimmer, it will most likely also work pretty well.

Another thing people are missing is support. Do they answer the phone? Return calls/emails? Spending hard earned cash on a device with no parts or service can be infuriating. Before buying shoot them a question and see if or when you get a response.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all. There is no such thing as a “best” skimmer. Anyone who says that, you can just translate it.

“Best” : what I presently use.

That is what anyone always means when they say that. So bear in mind. People will ONLY recommend what they currently use, and furthermore, I’d wager a large number of people who make that recommendation haven’t actually used any other skimmers besides the one they’re recommending. Just to get that out of the way. Onto my own experience

I have used:
Eshopps ps150 I think? Older model
Bubble Magus Curve 5
Bubble Magus Curve 7
Lifereef VS2

I settled on the Lifereef for a couple reasons.

1. Build quality. They’re hand made. By one person. One at a time. Exceptional attention to detail. Super thick acrylic. Will last decades if you don’t damage it.

2. Standard plumbing parts. You can pick up anything you need to modify it from the hardware store. Why would you modify it? They can be run externally, internally, you may change sumps, rearrange your sump, ect. I run my skimmer pump in a completely different chamber of the sump.

3. Ease of maintenance. It’s a high flow skimmer. They don’t collect as much detritus because the flow is more turbulent through them, the body doesn’t need as frequent of cleaning as a needlewheel skimmer may. You don’t have to remove and disassemble the entire skimmer to clean the pump.

4. No proprietary pump. You can use whatever pump you want with it. No special attachment plate or fittings needed. If you want a bigger or smaller pump, pick whatever you want. No more having replacement pumps shipped from overseas on a budget skimmer, no more “sorry that model is discontinued, no we can’t give you a replacement impeller”

5. No need to buy a new skimmer if you upgrade tanks **** gotta Star this because if you have the SVS models that have flanged tips with thumb screws, you can simply purchase a body extension and make the existing skimmer taller to upgrade its skimming capacity. Or even diy in an additional Venturi.

My only gripe with mine is I have the standard VS model where the tip is glued on. So I can’t remove it to easily clean the body or upgrade the skimmer if i felt so inclined. But I got it used for $100 so not complaining. The price point on a new 24” Lifereef will be in your budget range.

Everything that was said here! I couldn’t agree more. I’ve owned eshopps, vertex, reef octopus, life reef and if I had to do any of it again I’d just go life reef from the start. I would have waisted all that other money on less than spectacular skimmers. Being that in this hobby we always find the need to upgrade life reefs are the only one (that I can think of) that are actually upgrade proof. No selling your old skimmers to get a bigger one and all that nonsense.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Bubble Magus fan. You don't need adjustability on a skimmer or variable speed or slow ramp up or any of that other stuff. The pump is sized for the skimmer from the factory. DC is fine for the power saving but adjustability is unnecessary.

I tend to agree with this but there are 2 situations I think adjustable speed is great;
A: when you dose/use something known to make your skimmer go nuts, like Chemiclean, unrinsed filter sock or anything else. Being able to turn down the speed without de-tuning the skimmer is a major time and hassle saver.
B: If you are unable to lower the water level and can’t raise the skimmer due to a low stand. Slowing it down a tick or to can help get it properly tuned.

Outside that, let it rip at 100%!

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally had to buy me another skimmer after my trusty Vertex Alpha 250 pump took a nose dive. This go round I went with a Reef Octopus Regal 250SSS. If this skimmer is going to perform like it has thus far (in only 2 days), it is a life saver. I haven't done any tuning whatsoever thus far, just put it together, put it in the sump, set the pump controller to 3 and it is skimming swimmingly. :D

A few differences that I have notice between the Vertex and the Regal:

1. The Vertex has a better build quality than the Reef Octopus. I feel like I could crack something with the RO, but not the Vertex.
2. The RO seems to skim better than the Vertex. Will know the more I use the RO.
3. My tank pH is looking pretty good with the RO versus what was going on with the Vertex. Could be the pump wasn't operating efficiently on the Vertex, but liking the RO.
4. The Vertex allows you to also pull in ozone

The price between the 2 are that drastically different, but to save on the Reef Octopus and get a skimmer that seems to fit the bill, I'll consider that a win/win. Going to get the Vertex fixed so I can have it as a backup. Sure once I replace the pump it'll work like a champ again too.

Last edited:

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my favorite so far is my ro elite 220 it fully comes apart for cleaning has an overflow sensor, ozone safe and dc pump that ramps up and down I never thought I would use that function but I do a lot if I feed something or add something that at full power makes it overflow I can back it down and still be able to skim I have it set to my apex also if the return pump shuts off it lowers the power level as well so it wont overflow but will still skim

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video came out yesterday. Please add Red Sea Reefer Skimmers to your list:

I don’t know about those. May be fine but to me Red Sea is all over the place right now. They also have a doser as well coming out. Just think that they may be stretching themselves too thin. Could be wrong too.

Whispers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used reef octopus in the past. On my new setup after taking a year and a half break I went with Nyos and now wish I bought a reef octopus :(

Atti2de

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Reef Octopus, Bubble Magus (x3), Aquamaxx (x2) and Nyos (x2) in that order and each one I found was better than the previous. I liked the Bubbme Magus but the Aquamaxx blew it away. The Aquamaxx was loud though. Loved my Nyos 160 Skimmer but wanted a larger one so I just got the Nyos 220. The Nyos 160 is over you $400 limit but think it’s a great skimmer. The Nyos also runs DEAD silent.

But...just like everyone else here pushing the skimmer they are using now because it’s the “best” of course. Just like the one you finally settle on will be!

Give Aquamaxx a look, inside a cabinet will silence it. My sump is open and that’s the only reason I’m not using it. Plus I like the German engineering of the Nyos! 32EC5F0C-DE6D-4B0F-8335-791676187F31.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Synergy Reef TS-26 sump for my RSR 250 and there's a lot of smaller skimmer options that won't fit the skimmer compartment. It's 7.5" x 14.5" and the new RO eSsence S-130 won't fit it and the RO Regal S-150 INT won't fit it either, two of the skimmers I would really like to have. So I'm hoping one of these new Red Sea skimmers will fit or I will have to go with the NYOS 120.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really comment on which is the best. Iv'e owned only 3 . An old ASM skimmer not even sure if they make them anymore.it's still in use must be 15/ 20 years old. Very simple to adjust & kicks booty .I bought a Reff Octo skimmer & use it also. Works very well. The 3rd is a Sea Life systems skimmer .I still have it in storage, but not very efficient .

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my bubble magnus curve 5. Quiet, pulls a lot of skim mate and great build and strong materials. Ive heard tho that thier customer service is lousy, but considering they come from china its understandable

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back