Sooo... Many...Skimmers

What Skimmer Brand do you Trust/Use? And why?

• Skimz

• Deltec

• Innovative Marine

• Reef Octopus

• EShopps

• Vertex

• Somatic

• Tunze

• Precision marine

• NYOS

• Aqua Maxx

• Bubble Magus

• Ice Cap

• LifeReef

• Other - ASk and I will Add

• SCA

• Eco Tech

• Aqua C

• Simplicity Aquatics

• ASM

• Euro Reef

• Bubble King

• Diablo

Results are only viewable after voting.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ATB skimmers??

I have an ATB. Not a rich gal. Have been using it for several years. No problems. They say they were the first to use the cone design. It is quiet. Very well made. I have nothing to compare it with. That being said it is easy to clean. Comes apart easily when needed. Nice thick plastic. Over the price for this survey. I asked someone who sold aquarium supplies which they liked. It was at the top of his list. And since I live in Wyoming I really had never seen one in person before buying it. I hope they stay in business.

Shelley

touchstone88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nailed it pal, IMHO

I Just recieved a 7" extension for my SVS-24 and it's like a new skimmer (increased bioload since the begins).
Can't stress the human factor enough. LR figured out the most streamlined and efficient skimmer design, as such it's remained unmodified for decades.
If you're feeling a bit hot and bothered you can add an actual Mazzi and have a something that'll skim your face off (or tap water!). No "proprietary" complications. It's the last skimmer i'll ever purchase... there's peace of mind!

FWIW Bubble Magus still produce low cost skimmers that don't skimp on the fundamentals, in a pinch I'd go BM, but as planned, Lifereef... its namesake ain't for nothin!

Kudos to Jeff. Skim Troopin' for several decades

First of all. There is no such thing as a “best” skimmer. Anyone who says that, you can just translate it.

“Best” : what I presently use.

That is what anyone always means when they say that. So bear in mind. People will ONLY recommend what they currently use, and furthermore, I’d wager a large number of people who make that recommendation haven’t actually used any other skimmers besides the one they’re recommending. Just to get that out of the way. Onto my own experience

I have used:
Eshopps ps150 I think? Older model
Bubble Magus Curve 5
Bubble Magus Curve 7
Lifereef VS2

I settled on the Lifereef for a couple reasons.

1. Build quality. They’re hand made. By one person. One at a time. Exceptional attention to detail. Super thick acrylic. Will last decades if you don’t damage it.

2. Standard plumbing parts. You can pick up anything you need to modify it from the hardware store. Why would you modify it? They can be run externally, internally, you may change sumps, rearrange your sump, ect. I run my skimmer pump in a completely different chamber of the sump.

3. Ease of maintenance. It’s a high flow skimmer. They don’t collect as much detritus because the flow is more turbulent through them, the body doesn’t need as frequent of cleaning as a needlewheel skimmer may. You don’t have to remove and disassemble the entire skimmer to clean the pump.

4. No proprietary pump. You can use whatever pump you want with it. No special attachment plate or fittings needed. If you want a bigger or smaller pump, pick whatever you want. No more having replacement pumps shipped from overseas on a budget skimmer, no more “sorry that model is discontinued, no we can’t give you a replacement impeller”

5. No need to buy a new skimmer if you upgrade tanks **** gotta Star this because if you have the SVS models that have flanged tips with thumb screws, you can simply purchase a body extension and make the existing skimmer taller to upgrade its skimming capacity. Or even diy in an additional Venturi.

My only gripe with mine is I have the standard VS model where the tip is glued on. So I can’t remove it to easily clean the body or upgrade the skimmer if i felt so inclined. But I got it used for $100 so not complaining. The price point on a new 24” Lifereef will be in your budget range.

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus and Aqua Medic is my personal preference

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus and Aqua Medic is my personal preference

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t got one already........Go to BULK REEF SUPPLY and click on their open box deals. They have a VERTEX OMEGA 180i that is what I use and I absolutely love it. Best of all its discounted because the box is open. All warranties still apply to their products. They open a product........review it for their videos........then sell it has “open box”
I use the 180i on my Red Sea Reefer 450 and it is pure awesomeness.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had/used many skimmers including RO, EuroReef, Tunze, ATB and LifeReef. For me the RO was at the bottom of the list. Not saying it won't do the job, but I replaced it with an ATB (at a higher price tag) and the difference was immediately noticeable - the support was also great. I had a pump issue and a replacement was delivered in-person to my house, he even stuck around for me to change it out and verify that it was working properly.
On my latest build, I went with LifeReef. Super easy to service, support is awesome, easy to upgrade, and uses about any pump I want to use -- no concerns over needlewheels/pinwheels.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a sca 302 on my 75 that came with it and works like a charm, bought a eshopps s200 for my new tank and it went back in 48 hours I couldn’t stand how loud it was, Nyos 160 now incoming and from what I’ve read and been told by owners I should be pleased. Only reason I didn’t go octopus was I don’t like red lol... seriously

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would give this a bump, and an update...
20190623_011815.jpg

I ended up finding a local in rhode island. Grabbed a mildly used, NAC 7 from him and after a ridiculous rattle, and a lot of troubleshooting. (Dismantling and reassembling over and over for testing)

I found that the pinwheel needle and impellar shaft assembly were missing a Spacer. The spacer was designed to keep the pinwheel needle flush against the impellar shaft on a sort of geartooth locking thingy. So that the impellar shaft also runs the pinwheel.

The rattling was it grinding itself into oblivion. And I wasnt getting bubbles intermittently because the pinwheel was free spinning on the axle.

I called BubbleMagus North America in Cali, and got great, patient, helpful support. Pdf's texted from personal phones, blueprints. All of it. 1st call. 2 rings, and I was in business.

3 days later and 24 bucks, and my impellar assembly arrived. A quick swap and I all have heard for the last 9 weeks is water flowing. Which I enjoy.

Skims like a beast.

Thank you all for helping me make a good choice. I wanted a R.O., (the landslide votes and data spoke for themselves) ... but the nac 7 was only 100 bucks, and I put $24 into it and it runs like a dream.

I will be keeping a close eye for any issues with the ph2500 motor as I found they are faulty at times.

Happy reefing and take care all.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my bubble king! It’s built well and handles my 30 fish and 5 feeding a day well.

Corey

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other.

Back