Soooooo, RTN

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed for me it always happens at night when the lights go out??? Always wake up to it. Anyone else?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Every time I've had a frag go poof it was overnight. Wake up, go check the tanks, do a double take and see a white piece of calcium carbonate with ugly flesh falling off where a beautiful acropora used to be. Never seen one go from good as gold to gone during the day/evening.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive not experienced alot of rtn, Ive had STN though. in my case its only at the bottom of my sps corals. its due to not enough flow and low light.
I have plenty of flow and light.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Every time I've had a frag go poof it was overnight. Wake up, go check the tanks, do a double take and see a white piece of calcium carbonate with ugly flesh falling off where a beautiful acropora used to be. Never seen one go from good as gold to gone during the day/evening.
Kinda wonder why?????

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda wonder why?????

Yeah I do wonder why! Lol. I've probably lost a half dozen through rtn over the past couple years. All but 1 were new frags, less than a few days old that I can remember. I chalk it up to that, but still doesn't explain why it happens at night.

Probably something to do with light/dark, either with the critters causing rtn or with the coral itself. I really have no idea? With STN, it seems to progress just as much during the day as at night, but hard to tell exactly without time lapse video.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed for me it always happens at night when the lights go out??? Always wake up to it. Anyone else?

Nah. After morning checks, I've seen RTN start after lunch, or when I get home.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back