Space Invader Pectinia Questions...

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I added a Space Invader to my tank several months back. It's growing and extends sweepers nightly but over the last several days, I've noticed the edges are turning brown. This is the first time I've owned a Space invader and not sure if this indicates too much light, not enough light, flow issues or possibly something they just do when growing. I've closely inspected and see no pests. In the attached picture it is deflated more than usual. Everything else in tank is thriving and I've had zero swings in params or no changes to lighting or flow. I included a full tank shot to show location of Space invader. Any help is greatly appreciated.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep an eye on the Flame Angel and the upper corals stinging it with their sweepers.

That is sure one beautiful reef.. ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep an eye on the Flame Angel and the upper corals stinging it with their sweepers.

That is sure one beautiful reef.. ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing
Thanks GoVols. Yeah the Flame is a pain in my A#$. It hasn't really damaged anything and I haven't seen him nipping, but keeps the SPS polyps retracted during the lighting period.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about the brown. One thing I do notice is it doesn't look very puffy. Is this common? Mine does deflate but it spends most of it's time super puffy.
Yeah it was really deflated in the pic I posted. It's normally puffy and I've checked out the discoloration with a magnify glass while puffy and the flesh is fine just discolored.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do have a beautiful/clean looking reef tank! I had a similar problem with mine a few years ago, and the culprit was a Coral Beauty Angel. I found him picking at it in the early morning right when the actinics turn on. I moved the coral and within a week it was back to normal. Now at over 9" it is still one of my favorite pieces.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do have a beautiful/clean looking reef tank! I had a similar problem with mine a few years ago, and the culprit was a Coral Beauty Angel. I found him picking at it in the early morning right when the actinics turn on. I moved the coral and within a week it was back to normal. Now at over 9" it is still one of my favorite pieces.
Well maybe it is my Flame Angel. I'm gonna setup a camera and watch that sucker. Thanks!!

ADLIGHT93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good chance it’s the angel. Noticed the smaller angels get supper “picky” on puffy LPS. Had a Cherub angel do similar things to lobo brains.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back