Spionid worm ID verification

chunkeylover59

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 24, 2024
Messages
39
Reaction score
43
Location
Toronto, Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers!

I made a post a few days ago asking for help validating some hitchhiker ID's I made.
It didn't garner too much attention, but for the most part I got the answers I was looking for, with one exception (sort of).
At first I thought there was some Aptasia in my Acan colony, but after noticing there were only two feelers ever sticking out (pictured below), I was less sure.

My Suspicions seem to have been validated by user @EricR (thanks again!), who has suggested that it could be a Spionid worm rather than Aptasia. After doing some more research it does seem like it could very well be a Spionid worm.

My hope with this post is that some others can double confirm this for me, and recommend the right course of action.
From my research It sounds like gluing them shut is one option, but it might end up just burrowing through the coral even more?

Of course, I am open to other potential ID's anyone would like to suggest if they think its something else entirely.

A brief of my tank is below, but feel free to check out my build thread/ask me for more info if it helps.

Thanks in advance for any help!

reef2reeftankbuild_2024_0014-jpg.3871187


reef2reeftankbuild_2024_0015-jpg.3871188
 
This is a snip of a photo from your tank build, if you have things that look like this:
1730229805287.png

AND they have those little feelers.. then yea Spionid worm. If you can grab it with pliers/bone cutters, WITHOUT harming the coral. crush it.
 
Thanks a bunch everyone. I did my best to grab it/crush it, but also glued the hole shut as a safety measure.

Really appreciate the help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new