Spirulina powder to supplement food?

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many years I used to feed my fish HBH soft sprirulina pellets as they were the highest content spirulina pellets on the market. I recently revamped my 240g FOWLR and have been restocking.... mostly butterflies, some angels and tangs. Looking around online, not only are the HBH pellets discontinued, but I really couldn't find any high content spirulina pellets. Spirulina20 flakes were all I could find, and I don't care for flakes... too messy in my tank.

So I recently picked up some spirulina powder supplement (for humans). I tried mixing it with thawed PE mysis and it stuck very well. So a couple questions. Any downsides to this? Can you overdose spirulina in fish? I did some research online and it looks like the only possible issue is contaminants in the powder, depending on how/where the spirulina was grown. Thoughts/inputs welcome.

115970008_10222486265453008_4833658510590496581_o.jpg

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using spirulina powder in various food concoctions for years with no issues. You should be fine.

Having said that, commercial frozen and pellet foods have gotten good enough that I don’t go the DIY route much any more. Nori sheets, NLS Algae Max pellets and NYOS True Algae pelllets provide the bulk of my plant matter. This is added to fresh clams, live foods and a few other things that keep all sorts of fish fat and happy.

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using spirulina powder in various food concoctions for years with no issues. You should be fine.

Having said that, commercial frozen and pellet foods have gotten good enough that I don’t go the DIY route much any more. Nori sheets, NLS Algae Max pellets and NYOS True Algae pelllets provide the bulk of my plant matter. This is added to fresh clams, live foods and a few other things that keep all sorts of fish fat and happy.

Thanks for the reply. The NLS ones look like a good addition to my roster. The NYOS (never heard of that company) is a bit too pricey for my needs, and based on the first 4 ingredients listed would be a pass for me.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NYOS is soft, very palatable and it’s what got my Kole Tang to finally take pellets. Like most good foods it has its uses in the right situation.

Now the tang takes everything pellet and is getting food an extra two times per day from the auto feeder when I’m at work.

Having said that, the NLS pellets are a better overall staple if I had to choose just one.

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that. The softness of the HBH pellets was one of my favorite characteristics.

roxcntrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though my response is a bit belated, I wanted to chime in and say that I've actually been using spirulina powder for quite a while now, and I've had no issues with it. It's been a reliable addition to my fish's diet without any side effects.

roxcntrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though my response is a bit belated, I wanted to chime in and say that I've actually been using spirulina powder for quite a while now, and I've had no issues with it. It's been a reliable addition to my fish's diet without any side effects.
Recently, I switched to algae powder because I prefer it over various pellets. And I have to say, I'm super satisfied with the results! It's been a game-changer for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back