Spongodes PE?

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would cause spongodes to have too much polyp extension? Since the polyps are brown, it takes away from the bright green underneath... I have had it for about 6 months and it is definitely growing and encrusting the rock it is on, it just doesn't look as pretty as when I bought it. I have it near the top of my tank and it gets pretty good flow fyi

OP
OP
OneFish

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic for reference

IMG_20181007_121257.jpg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a small frag or a decent size colony? I had a decent size colony and the polyps weren’t as dense, I sold it and kept a few small frags and they are like you describe, polyps so thick they drown out the green except on the very end of tips where it’s freshly growing. Maybe it’s there way of growing when they are small so they can catch more food. Either way it’s a good sign it’s healthy. The frags I have are up high in the tank like my colony was so I don’t think light or flow has anything to do with it.

OP
OP
OneFish

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a small frag or a decent size colony? I had a decent size colony and the polyps weren’t as dense, I sold it and kept a few small frags and they are like you describe, polyps so thick they drown out the green except on the very end of tips where it’s freshly growing. Maybe it’s there way of growing when they are small so they can catch more food. Either way it’s a good sign it’s healthy. The frags I have are up high in the tank like my colony was so I don’t think light or flow has anything to do with it.
it is decent sized but nothing crazy. good to know. maybe as it grows more of the color will show!

levibaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t try to decrease polyp extension. The more polyp extension, the better, and means its healthier. It could get more color as it grows

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. Its the nature of that beast. I used to have a huge colony of montipora confusa that IMO is a little prettier because it shows more of the beautiful green color.....but both of those corals are fast growers so if you dont like what you see. I suggest you get that off the rock work immediately and place it on a rock in the sand. They dont need allot of light. IF you put in the sand, it will grow off cool pieces reaching for light that you can easily break off and frag.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back