0   0   0
Designing this tank has started...

Tool's Requited.
Sketchup and Plex :),

DSC_0005 by Elder1945, on Flickr

The good:
Power is done and ready to go.
DSC_0013 by Elder1945, on Flickr

Space is open and ready to fit a tank max size 96" long 32" wide.

DSC_0010 by Elder1945, on Flickr
DSC_0008 by Elder1945, on Flickr

Star lord from Guardians of the Galaxy (fits color of the I-supra... :p):

Ok now bad things:

This is where my old tank was.... It is going to be hard to match......... Also still on the fence about glass or acrylic :).

Old Tank:
20151005_181546 by Elder1945, on Flickr

Looking back at it I am kinda happy I don't have a 16 foot reef tank in my basement. It was fun though building all of it.

I hope to have a design done this weekend and will start construction of the tank next week. This tank if I chose acrylic will take me a few days to make so that is not a issue..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump looks like part of the space station! What a spectacular build this is going to be

Yes it does.. :) It is a nice sump and find my self staring at it sometimes... I even made my wife stare at it for a few minutes.. This is a big deal as she looked at my last tank a whole 2 seconds the year I had it.. :p
Looks like fun can't wait to see it completed.

Same lol I want some coral and fish... It is hard not having a tank......

Great looking build. :)

Thank you!

Following

Hope you enjoy the build.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank size is decided and I am going to tape it out tonight!. I am in and around 170 Gallons on the main display but will have close to 200 when done.

72" long, 30" wide, 19" high 177.66 gallon tank with Eurobrace.

I am still working out the overflow..

I had some quotes and was talking to a few suppliers about making this tank out of glass but just can justify the weight this tank.

I will make the whole tank out of 3/4" acrylic just for the fun of it as 1/2" would work. I seem to have a lot of 3/4" acrylic in stock :p

Now the last step is finding out if I can use aluminum for the stand and not steel. This I have my engineer looking at right now.. update on this later.

I will be posting rough ideas tonight on the stand size and placement of the tank. This is now getting real :)...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thickness guide if anyone wanted to see physically the differences in thicknesses of acrylic.

1/2" on top
3/4" middle
2" bottom

I surprisingly have a lot of 2" in stock....... This might end bad as I now want to make stuff out of it....

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I can't wait!

I bet that 2" is heavy!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this, England here, very few people use acrylic over here, scratching it inside would be my main worry, can't wait to see this progress.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this, England here, very few people use acrylic over here, scratching it inside would be my main worry, can't wait to see this progress.

Thank you for following.

As for the scratching.. yes it can be a pain but it can be sanded out with a full reef inside.. When you scratch glass that is about it for the tank and there is no hope in fixing it when full.

This is what i use to get out the scratches in my old tank when it was up and running. A little time and elbow grease and it is as good as new.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62127&cat=1,250,43243,43245

I buy the 9 pad kit and have never ran into a scratch i cant get out.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Following along.

Thank you I hope you Enjoy!
Nice I remember your older build, can't wait to see this one!

It seems like years now that I have not had a tank... :p I am excited about this build more then ever and thank you for following!

I have exciting news I will post tonight! It has changed the direction of the build a little but for the better in my mind.

exoraa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for following.

As for the scratching.. yes it can be a pain but it can be sanded out with a full reef inside.. When you scratch glass that is about it for the tank and there is no hope in fixing it when full.

This is what i use to get out the scratches in my old tank when it was up and running. A little time and elbow grease and it is as good as new.

exoraa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for following.

I am in the process of transferring my reef into a new acrylic 225 tank. Your information will come in handy. Thanks, will be following.

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I hope you Enjoy!

It seems like years now that I have not had a tank... :p I am excited about this build more then ever and thank you for following!

I have exciting news I will post tonight! It has changed the direction of the build a little but for the better in my mind.

Don't leave us hanging like that

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

www.miraclesaquariums.com
Tank update!

So I was just about to pull the trigger and start cutting my new tank............'

Then I got the bright idea of second guessing myself.. A few post ago @najer mentioned scratching (thanks)... I quickly responded that scratching does happen but you can used the linked items to fix it.. I read this post quite a bit and It hit me.... The amount of scratching that my 16 foot reef tank had. The time spent and the dread of fixing it....

Then the overall design of the tank with the euro brace was just a little much. Combine this with the hassle of me manufacturing the tank..... No.... This just was not going to happen....

I have dealt with Miracles a few time before and they are located and hour or so from my house. I know for a fact that Miracles customer service it top notch. I just could not resist so I picked up the phone and stated planing.

Miracles and I started a conversation on what I wanted.. Simple 30" wide 19" tall 72" long 177 +/- gallons.. I want 3/4" star fire glass with a simple Euro for strength but also to keep the splashing down. I have owed rimless tanks and love the look. They don't work for me as I end up splashing water everywhere.

I have ordered the tank and the glass is cut. I am expected a 4-5 week delivery, This will work out well as it will take me 2 weeks to get the stand done.

I cant wait to have a glass tank! I have not owned in years and it will be nice cleaning it.

The 3/4" star fire looks amazing too..

I am proud to have Miracles as a sponsor and cant wait to pick up my tank.

Last edited:

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the demensions of the tank plans... especially the 19" will look sweet, because I'm a huge fan of shallow tanks :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

www.miraclesaquariums.com
Tank update!

So I was just about to pull the trigger and start cutting my new tank............'

Then I got the bright idea of second guessing myself.. A few post ago @najer mentioned scratching (thanks)... I quickly responded that scratching does happen but you can used the linked items to fix it.. I read this post quite a bit and It hit me.... The amount of scratching that my 16 foot reef tank had. The time spent and the dread of fixing it....

Then the overall design of the tank with the euro brace was just a little much. Combine this with the hassle of me manufacturing the tank..... No.... This just was not going to happen....

I have dealt with Miracles a few time before and they are located and hour or so from my house. I know for a fact that Miracles customer service it top notch. I just could not resist so I picked up the phone and stated planing.

Miracles and I started a conversation on what I wanted.. Simple 30" wide 19" tall 72" long 177 +/- gallons.. I want 3/4" star fire glass with a simple Euro for strength but also to keep the splashing down. I have owed rimless tanks and love the look. They don't work for me as I end up splashing water everywhere.

I have ordered the tank and the glass is cut. I am expected a 4-5 week delivery, This will work out well as it will take me 2 weeks to get the stand done.

I cant wait to have a glass tank! I have not owned in years and it will be nice cleaning it.

The 3/4" star fire looks amazing too..

I am proud to have Miracles as a sponsor and cant wait to pick up my tank.

I am loving this more and more, In England we call it opti white, I love taking pics, what you see is what you get!
... it will be heavy, invite friends to help position it! :)

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the demensions of the tank plans... especially the 19" will look sweet, because I'm a huge fan of shallow tanks :)

Thanks! I love shallow tanks I had a 125 gallon that was 24" tall and I will never have a tank that high again. It was a nightmare for me to clean.

I am loving this more and more, In England we call it opti white, I love taking pics, what you see is what you get!
... it will be heavy, invite friends to help position it! :)

Thanks! I have 6 guys :p.. It is in and around 440lbs dry about the same as my 16 foot long acrylic tank lol!

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I love shallow tanks I had a 125 gallon that was 24" tall and I will never have a tank that high again. It was a nightmare for me to clean.

Thanks! I have 6 guys :p.. It is in and around 440lbs dry about the same as my 16 foot long acrylic tank lol!
My tank I currently have set up is a 24" tall tank. I can deal with it but I'd rather I'd have a tank under 20" tall.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back