WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Star Lord is awesome. I feel like I should hit you up to make me something...

I have a Miracles tank waiting for me to finish the stand. Its 24 inches tall but I sure wish I had gone with 21inches tall like my last tank.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Star Lord is awesome. I feel like I should hit you up to make me something...

I have a Miracles tank waiting for me to finish the stand. Its 24 inches tall but I sure wish I had gone with 21inches tall like my last tank.

Thank you, The Star Lord was the only thing I could think of to cover a hole in the wall where it is :p.

I am short lol... Tall tanks just don't work for me.. Also I am trying to keep the water volume of the tank in and around 200 gallons all in. I have had HUGE tanks and I am not looking for 400 gallons of water in my house.

It is kinda a backwards upgrade but sometimes bigger in not better in all cases. I need the 200 gallons for stability but after that its just filler water. Going from a 400 or 600 to a 200 is like night and day lol.. Water changes are going to be a easy. My last tank took over 100 gallons for a 25% water change now its going to be 50 gallons or even 40 :)... This makes me happy!

This smaller size also now gives me a chance to do a full SPS tank or try too.

Lighting is also going to be fun not I only have to light 72" :p not 192" This also makes me quite happy..

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is also going to be fun not I only have to light 72" :p not 192" This also makes me quite happy..
You may be happy, but your local power utility may have to lay off staff! :p

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to go with two Orphek Atlantik V4.. This is the number Orphek recommended and I have an option of adding one more if needed.

I am waiting for them to ship and hope to have them in hand in a few weeks. I had many options for the lighting of my reef tank but Orphek has the quality and the history to show what is possible with LED's. I have personally seen tanks run the older versions and they look amazing in my opinion.

One of my favorite tanks of all time.
Peter-Canada-1350G-Fish-Tank by Elder1945, on Flickr

The second choice would be the Hydra 52's HD then Radions. I still might supplement with T5's but we will see....

Stock photo from Orphek... I want mine :p...
Orphek-Aquarium-LED-Lighting-Reef-Atlantik-V4-light-on-DSC_4335-1600x1060 by Elder1945, on Flickr

Last edited:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for following.

As for the scratching.. yes it can be a pain but it can be sanded out with a full reef inside.. When you scratch glass that is about it for the tank and there is no hope in fixing it when full.

This is what i use to get out the scratches in my old tank when it was up and running. A little time and elbow grease and it is as good as new.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62127&cat=1,250,43243,43245

I buy the 9 pad kit and have never ran into a scratch i cant get out.
lee valley :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome job man!

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it but what tank manufacturer and size did you decide to go with?

I went with www.miraclesaquariums.com, They are a hour from my house and have a large facility that I visited today! Pictures to follow..

After speaking with Miracles I have decided to go with a 72" long 30" wide and 19" tall 3/4 starfire with Eruo brace around the top.

I love the look of the 3/4" starfire.

Miracles also is building the steel stand for me! This is a huge help as it will speed this build along and I will have less stuff to manufacture when it comes time.

On a side note I will receive what I ordered from you tomorrow and cant wait!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about the lights I have had my eye on them a few time

Yes I have followed Orphek for a long time and when it came time for me to choose there history speaks quite loud..

They do Huge systems with no issue they also have a amazing amount of hobby grade tanks out there that are just amazing.

I have yet to own a Oprhek product but what I have seen in person and read online they are one of the best in this price range.

From what I can gather it is hard to find a equal even with Ecotech and others out there.

We will all find out together though in the following months how they do. I have extremely high expectations and hopes for them.

The G4 from Ecotech were inviting and I almost pulled the trigger.... The AI hydras HD's were hard to beat in price as well but did not see the results or hear the results that I liked with SPS system. This got me onto the ATI hybrids but then I saw the Orphek V4 and jumped head first..... :p

I am no means a SPS expert and with this tank going almost 100% SPS I am going to need all the help I can get. I believe the Orphek v4 will give me a edge on growth and coloration without the heat and upkeep of t5's or halide's.

This is my hope....

They look nice.

Yes I think they look quite nice.

Awesome job man!

Thanks Rev. Just wait to you see my controller board its going to put yours to shame.... The person who built yours is going to be ashamed of himself :p :p :p...

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More goodies from the mail!
DSC_0061 by Elder1945, on Flickr

R/O Finally working! works like a charm, big thanks to Red at the Coral Reef Shop (www.coralreefshop.com)

Next on the list is the QT build:

I want to start by making removable baffles so I can split the tank into 4 separate compartments if needed. I have ordered a 1/4" 4'x8' sheet of opaque white for this. More on this this week.. Should have it done soon.

I have upgraded the pump of the Nuvo 20 to a MJ 1200 and tossed the one that comes with the system.

I also have a new lid I made out of 1/4" Lexan with 2 feeding holes. These holes have CNC lids on them to help keep in heat and slow down evaporation.

One of the Tunze 3155 will go on my QT tank so this takes care of the ATO but I am still missing a controller for the system but will order one soon.

I will also need a ATO container for the QT tank..

(These pic's were re-posted earlier in the thread)

Last edited:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

QT tank is up and running!!!

I did not know how much I missed having a tank till tonight! I am so excited about my QT LOL.

Custom cut 1/4" Lexan lid to help reduce evaporation:

Feeding holes:

Custom baffles to split the nuvo 20 into 4 compartments if needed: (Installed)

(Removed)

Baffles:

Filled QT tank up and running!

The funny thing is I had to drain it right after this picture and re level the whole stand. I replaced the 1/2" melamine board with 3/4" ply with 1/4" black acrylic top for strength.
Looking great!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back