Spotted rabbit fish staying black?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I've had this rabbit fish since May 2019. He looked like a normal spotted rabbit fish when I purchased him. When I brought him home and acclimated him he was dark almost black and his eyes look like they have cataracts. He has been that way for the last 2+ years. He eats well, sees fine and swims around with the other fish. I know they can change color instantly but to stay that way for over 2 years has me puzzled. About 8 months ago I decided to move him from the 180 gallon tank to a 150 housing a few tangs hoping he may go back to looking as he should. No such luck. He swims around with the tangs and eats fine. Shows no signs of stress just stays black with the cloudy blue eyes. Has anyone seen this or has any suggestions or do I just have a black rabbit fish rather than a spotted?

20210629_205537.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the coloration part of the question, but as to they eyes— (it’s tricky to tell much from the photo)— are you sure they are cloudy, and not merely ‘iridescent’?’

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Eye is normal for rabbitfish. The dark coloration may be due to both stress and diet. Rabbit fish are classified and herbivores but are in essence carnivores and herbivores requiring meat and vegetation in their diet. Feed them at least:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I feed PE and Hikari mysis, marine cuisine (occasionally) formula 1 and 2 pellets and nori. I have garlic extract and Zoe so will try adding this to the food and get some selcon coming. He does not appear stressed at all. He swims around with my Naso a lot and is never hiding so maybe adding the vitamins will help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back