Spouse thinks reef lighting is tacky...

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a lot to say for a clean slate in an unfinished basement...slop sink, ro setup with storage, water mixing area, shelving for all your crap ...put up a wall behind the tank and have all this stuff behind the wall in its own room...exhaust fan out the foundation for humidity control...perhaps the sump in there too with height for a tall skimmer or some mangroves....flooring that can get wet with no ill effects....add a bar,fridge, couches and big tv and it will be the place to hang out

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes and since you've already sold off your stuff you're in no hurry to get an existing tank set back up and running you can take your time to plan this out and can undoubtedly wind up with a larger tank than she would have allowed upstairs and not have to worry about building a stand and hood that match the decor in whatever room you get "permission " to put it in

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to go with the blue look. I don't.
IMG_1886-XL.jpg

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't get that option. It was basically Honey, I bought a Harley, Bass Boat, Side by Side, Jeep, and the biggest tank Marine Depot sold and if you don't like it you can talk to a lawyer. Her response "Well I'm going to buy whatever I want too" and we both lived happily ever after.

My ex's lawyer came back talking about "Well Sir you have two Harleys and two boats so I think it's only fair you each get one". My response "Life's not always fair my friend".

Basically you can either choose to let someone else control you or you can choose Happiness. If it was me I would already be turning that basement into the ultimate man cave. Good luck.

Last edited:

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine didn't get that option. It was basically Honey, I bought a Harley, Bass Boat, Side by Side, Jeep, and the biggest tank Marine Depot sold and if you don't like it you can talk to a lawyer. Her response "Well I'm going to buy whatever I want too" and we both lived happily ever after.

My ex's lawyer came back talking about "Well Sir you have two Harleys and two boats so I think it's only fair you each get one". My response "Life's not always fair my friend".

Basically you can either choose to let someone else control you or you can choose Happiness. If it was me I would already be turning that basement into the ultimate man cave. Good luck.
Now This Is a GUY who Knows .... What's...What.... Got my Vote " Make Man Cave Great Again "

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might look at things a bit different than most.

I've never understood the concept of "my spouse won't LET me"

I'm a grown man. She is a grown woman. She can't let me or not let me do anything! I can't let her or not let her do anything.
We got together and married because we love each other. We can live with each other and we Respect each others thoughts, likes, dislikes, desires, wants and needs.

I ride motorcycles and hear dudes say...
Man, I really love motorcycles. I want one so bad but my wife won't let me.
She won't LET you?!?
Is she your wife or your mother? Are you a grown up or her kid?

I understand this might not apply to the OP in this situation (or maybe it does) but I wanted to voice this.

My wife won't Let me...
Humph...
I wish she would try that dumbness. I would LET her be single.

I just had to laugh hard after reading this. Cannot agree with you more and that doesn't mean you love your significant one any less.

A suggestion for the OP is since you are building, you can go with a fish room. Lighting will be behind the tank so spillage will be minimal.

Do not know, but if she is complaining about light, what will she say about expense?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back