With 6 G 3 Pros
Thanks Coral Junky

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love My Photon 32 but they are too directional and underside of the coral barely gets any light and becomes brown. So I'd suggest a t5/LED hybrid for that reason. Few of my friends that use hydras and radions gen 3 also came to that conclusion and added 1-2 bulb fixtures.

JuicemaN16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? I'm sorry if I offended anyone , with my hybrid response I was just stating my personal preference.
No no, I originally replied with something else to a post on the first page that was a little rude and arrogant... But then decided I didn't want to get into it and just edited my post.

It most definitely was not towards you.

jofost1216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an sps dominated tank with only leds. To start and the most important thing is, I am adding t5s. I have given leds a chance also. About 2 years. Coloring is great although i struggle with some blues and deep colors not maintaining, i do great with greens, pinks, oranges and any bright colors. Zoas and chalices do awesome with growth and color but i should be getting better growth out of my sps i feel. It can be done but i am going to turn my 2 leds sideways so they are long side to side rather than front to back and add 2 t5s to the front and back. I am getting growth but stuff doesnt seem to be "reaching for the light " if that makes sense. I am happy but could be happier i believe. I have 165 watt chinese that i am happy with, its about the bulbs theyre made with. Bridgelux and other big companies make a good product. Maxspec they have in a store i used to work at and work ok. But all their expensive sps arent allowed in that tank. Ive seen a couple awesome set ups with radions and hydras using DIY t5s on either side. Thats what i am going for,setting up next week

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question from a newbie. I just bought a 60g cube tank off craigslist and it came with an led light fixture. I have no idea what the brand is. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind it is. For now it's just going to be a FOWLR tank but eventually I want to add a few easy corals and anemones. Would these leds work? They're just blue and white light.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1433549994.250769.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1433550021.265651.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm glad to see this thread get some responses as have been waiting patiently not wanting to be the 'cranky old guy' here. So, I can tell you quite honestly that after 33 years in Reefkeeping and having successfully used everything but Plasma I would never go back in lighting tech. Even my nearly 5 year old DIY design is right there with the high/over priced LED fixtures available today and light years beyond MH and T5 tech. Anyone that says LED's won't grow Corals or are sub par to MH or T5 are full of balogna and have very little knowledge of PAR/PUR or even lighting needs of Corals and plants in general. IMHO there is no better lighting to be had and with just a bit of research can learn the ins & outs or do's and dont's to LED use. Ecotech, AI, Orphek, Maxspect are all very nice fixtures especially if you need/want the 'Cool' factor but for value or cost effectiveness I'd much rather use Reef Radiance, Reef Breeders or Ocean Revive units as standard type lighting and probable Kessil for where a pendant is more suited. There is nothing 'wrong' with MH, T5 or even VHO style lighting it's just their inherent flaws in light spectrum degradation giving them very short lived effectiveness by comparison.

A few random pics of my Reeftank exclusively lit with broad spectrum DIY LED's from the start.

Bicolor Anthias 1-12-14.jpg
FISH photo-bombed 1-10-15.jpg
FTS 7-01-14.jpg
Top Down front left 5-6-14.jpg
Top Down mid center 5-6-14.jpg

Cheers, Todd
Ocean Revive is life, I'm probably gonna get the t247

JSimmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo I decided to get 2 of the Kessils A360w and Kessil controller with 2 goosenecks...(big hit to the wallet) $960 hit...I'm thinking of starting a new setup and going to a rimless tank...Right now I have a 75g with canopy...either I cut 2 holes in my canopy and hang lights into holes or take the canopy off...gonna wait till I get everything here and go from there...My tank was given to me and it's a well established tank but I kinda want a different look and wanna start fresh...That way I can watch everything grow...

MikeCizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1433700178.083628.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1433700190.573831.jpg

This is my Hybrid set up on my new tank. Photon 32 supplemented by Retro T5 w/ 2 ATI Coral +. So far it looks like the corals frags are responding well. I may add 2 more ATI Blue + T5's if everything goes well.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't discount DIY

There are over 28 different colour variations of the Cree Cool White and 5 different intensity Bins.

With 3 watt Bridgelux LEDs you are purchasing a counterfiet without knowing the spectrum. I can say this as Bridgelux no longer produces the outdated 3 watt LED.

Importers simply trust their Chinese suppliers to ship the best. Some do better than others.

A DIY Light using the latest Cree LEDs can produce more PAR (almost twice) than the Radion Pro while using less electricity.

Also you are in full controll of thermal management. Heat is the enemy of any electrical component and some companies simply engineer a fixture only to last the lenght of the warrenty.

Just some food for thought.

Bill

Gwitness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the red and green LEDs matter?? I have radio gen 3pros and I always see different opinions on this....and if they are needed how high of a pe recent should they be maxed it?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back