SPS FADING...HELP PLEASE

Joewestwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends. 30 years in the hobby here and I can't crack this one.

155g sps tank w/all corals growing well. I cannot get several sps to maintain color. Most fade to light pastel colors regardless of where placed.

sg 1.025
nitrate-between 0 and 2
Phoshpate, not detetable
Cal. 410
alk. 8.0
mag. 1440
lighting- 3 ocean revive t247s w/ 2 led strips all running about 80% blue
50% white
Par readings: 350 surface, 290 midwater, 150 sandbed.
Dosing b-ionic and kalk.
Red sea pro salt.
Photoperiod is 8 hours blue 6 hours white.
Feeding is fish twice daily and corals every other day with rods and reefroids.

I removed my skimmer and gfo reactor to help get nutrients up. Whenever I plug them in, fading increases and losses occur. I used to add vinegar to kalk but have stopped. The pics are of my friends colonies which I'm coral sitting and my established colonies.

Thoughts?

20191103_132536~2.jpg 20191103_132545~2.jpg 20191103_132530~2.jpg 20191103_132552~2.jpg 20191103_132756~2.jpg 20191103_132813~2.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters look good but you definitely need to get those nutrients up as this has a negative impact on SPS corals specifically. Definitely remove GFO from the equation. My question is how often are testing your water and has it stayed consistent with the numbers you provided?

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters look good but you definitely need to get those nutrients up as this has a negative impact on SPS corals specifically. Definitely remove GFO from the equation. My question is how often are testing your water and has it stayed consistent with the numbers you provided?
I agree I would not drop nitrate below 5 and phosphate needs to be detectable like .05 not less. I rune my tank dirty and never had a coral die. get some amino to dose in the mean time it will help in the system. i run .1 phosphate 20 nitrate never had a coral die.

IMGP6197.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joewestwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. Yes I test every week and numbers are quite consistent. I should buy some new kits although mine haven't expired yet.

I've never heard of a tank that requires so much feeding and no filtration.

Fish population is modest....two tangs, six chromis, 3 clowns, Royal gramma and a wrasse.

OP
OP
J

Joewestwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I would not drop nitrate below 5 and phosphate needs to be detectable like .05 not less. I rune my tank dirty and never had a coral die. get some amino to dose in the mean time it will help in the system. i run .1 phosphate 20 nitrate never had a coral die.

IMGP6197.jpg
Looks amazing. What kind of aminos?

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup probably starving them. You could dose some acropower for aminos or brightwell aminos seem to be popular these days. You might also want to dose some phosphates to your system as well. Brightwell has a product called neophos that can achieve that for you.

OP
OP
J

Joewestwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup probably starving them. You could dose some acropower for aminos or brightwell aminos seem to be popular these days. You might also want to dose some phosphates to your system as well. Brightwell has a product called neophos that can achieve that for you.
Thanks a million. I have a lot of corals....over a hundred frags and colonies. Do you think they are simply competing for nutrients and sucking the system clean? I've never had this occur before. I also may send a water sample to tridant.

daelie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sending a water sample to Triton can never hurt as long as you take the time to understand the results.

You may just be overfiltering your water since you're basically undetectable for both phosphate and nitrate, especially since skimming and gfo seem to be worsening your condition.

OP
OP
J

Joewestwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I have new reagents for hanna ultra low checker and I'm getting .04

New salifert nitrate kit and I can't get much of a reading. Looks like between 0 and 3.

Kh is 7.8
Mag is 1480
Calcium at 420.

Still losing corals. No filtration except filter socks.

Water change or increase feeding? Maybe both?

Very frustrated!

OHBA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe did you ever get this under control. I am suffering from the exact same thing. Wondering was it the nutrients? Did you find anything else?

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, did you get the problem fixed? coming in late on this but it would take a couple of weeks for things to show improvement so wondering if they are doing better?

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did u start with dry rock? Have u ever add any Other bacteria source beside the one to cycle your tank? If u said u were in the hobby for 30 years then u should know that back then we were using live rock from the ocean which contain many strain if bacteria beneficial for the tank. All we need is to wait for the tank to mature so those bacteria can populate and keep coral healthy. Now a day everyone start with dry rock and just cycle their tank for 9 months to a year and their corals start having problems even though all parameters are good. The reason why is you dont dose additional beneficial bacteria. Corals especially sps need bacteria to be healthy because they consume them as food. Now in your case i dont see u mention dosing amino or any bacteria which mean your sps are starving no food. In the ocean they eat all day. Every brand have their own bacteria dosing u can read and find which one fit u the most and dose it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back