SPS flow vs. fish

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does everybody handle the strong water movement required for SPS in regards to their fish? My poor fish look like they are always getting blown around and fighting the current. I keep lowering it but eventually it is going to affect the health of my Acros.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Differnt fish handle high flow differently. Anthias and tangs relish having high flow. Some fish like clown gobies, blennies and hawkfish don't have swim bladders so don't have to fight the flow as much when perched on and in coral branches. Other fish stick close to the rockwork and in caves to avoid the brunt of the flow. Whereas some fish aren't well suited for high flow.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot to consider in regards to high flow and fish.

How big is the tank?
How much live rock cover do you have?
Are there areas of the tank with low flow?
Is high flow constant or do you slow it down throughout the day or night?
Do you have lagoon type fish or exposed reef fish?

Personally I experienced weight loss with Banggai cardinal-fish and high flow. Also my bangoon blenny is not strong enough of a swimmer, so I’ve decreased intensity but increased the amount of power heads. I have also increased the number feedings a day from 2 to 4.

Think you have to work through the variables of your particular situation.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cowfish and a Cubicus Box in my Bare-Bottom heavy-flow tank....... They relish the rock-work.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown / coral goby and a goby in my take the clown did good the other ones got sucked down the over flow a few times to learn lol but all
Is good now they have there places they go

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of have a mixture of types of reef fish. My Kole tang handles it fine. The fish that are having issues are my smaller wrasses and my clowns. I have a pajama that has learned to find areas of lower flow but the other fish just insist on getting blown around.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added more flow to my tank recently. My Maroon clownfish seems to handle it okay, but she also is a good-sized fish. The Blue Reef Chromis is tolerating it well, so far. My Tailspot Blenny seems to be having a harder time with it. My hammer isn’t too thrilled. It’s out, but not fully. It’s only been about 24 hours since adding in an old power head.

I might slow down the MP10.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 105g SPS tank with two Neptune Wavs that are maxing out only at 37%. Between those two pumps and my two return nozzles my SPS are getting a ton of water movement. I have been reducing the flow by a few percentage points each day and watching the SPS polyps......they don't seem to be moving any less. I guess I will keep reducing to help the fish, as long as the SPS are still getting blown around.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine all find avenues through the flow to travel when they don’t want to be blown around too bad but most of them seem to like it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back