SPS growing into each other

aznreef99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i first started with sps, i made the mistake of placing frags too close to each other, such as Bill Murray, Christmas Milibis and another acro.

they are now mini colonies and encrusted onto rock structure. although they are mot stinging each othe but new heads are now touching each other. will that be a problem down the road? or should i brake encrusted plug off the rock?

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really up to you. I tend to let the corals do their thing and whatever happens, happens.. If one is going to completely kill the other I might break off what I can so I have a piece to save. IME, "most" acros will build boundaries around each other and live in synchrony.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really up to you. I tend to let the corals do their thing and whatever happens, happens.. If one is going to completely kill the other I might break off what I can so I have a piece to save. IME, "most" acros will build boundaries around each other and live in synchrony.
Just wish encrusting monti abided by that as well lol

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will grow mostly away from each other.

My digitata’s definitely don’t like each other. My German blue was killing my Orange. Had to relocate the Orange.

OP
OP
aznreef99

aznreef99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to break the encrusted mini colony of garf bonsai yesterday away from red planet acro. red planet was killing off one of the bonsai branch.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had many an acro overgrow another. I try to save a frag or chunk from the losing party and relocate it elsewhere.
I have also had full on chemical warfare happen... Wasn't pretty, and many things downstream didn't fair well.
If at all possible, always leave ample room around new additions so they can grow unimpeded

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to break the encrusted mini colony of garf bonsai yesterday away from red planet acro. red planet was killing off one of the bonsai branch.
Sometimes just takes one sting/dieback and that coral will become more resistant to the stronger piece. At that point is when the boundaries are set. This has been my experience. Most all of my systems have been densely packed, especially acro tanks.

OP
OP
aznreef99

aznreef99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes just takes one sting/dieback and that coral will become more resistant to the stronger piece. At that point is when the boundaries are set. This has been my experience. Most all of my systems have been densely packed, especially acro tanks.
Chiseling encrusted colonies from rock to relocate is the last step i want to take. been working to hard to get to this level.

OP
OP
aznreef99

aznreef99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone. i will let things be for the mean time and keep close eyes in them.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, the stronger will prevail. The weaker will learn and grow around the stronger. Milli's will kill anything. Tenuis will kill Monti's. Monti's don't fair well against any of the other SPS. Tenuis against Tenuis may turn a branch or two white but, not a big deal. They'll figure how to grow around each other. Unless of course, you use CARBON. This carbon will absorb the natural toxins each coral uses to make space for itself. Without this line of defense, the coral will grow into each other without hesitation and die off is imminent.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really up to you.
Some get long, others not.

2018-09-13_11-25-57.jpg

Back