Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as instructed.
Looks like you’ve got a lot of wrong going on all at the same time. The only thing I hate more than gfo and nopox is vibrant. That stuff has stressed acros for me over night. Are you running 5% blues 24/7? Acros need at least 8-10 hours or total darkness.

I would do a bunch of water changes with Red Sea blue bucket and get your no3 down to 25-10. This will help stabilize all your big 3 and hopefully get rid of the vibrant.

OP
OP
4theluvofcoral

4theluvofcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you’ve got a lot of wrong going on all at the same time. The only thing I hate more than gfo and nopox is vibrant. That stuff has stressed acros for me over night. Are you running 5% blues 24/7? Acros need at least 8-10 hours or total darkness.

I would do a bunch of water changes with Red Sea blue bucket and get your no3 down to 25-10. This will help stabilize all your big 3 and hopefully get rid of the vibrant.
Before I answer, what were you using Vibrant and GFO for?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years ago I was using for what everyone uses it for. To lower po4 and kill some unwanted hair algae. The only problem was that all my acros were stressing/dying within days of arrival. I don’t use them anymore and my corals don’t die anymore.

OP
OP
4theluvofcoral

4theluvofcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years ago I was using for what everyone uses it for. To lower po4 and kill some unwanted hair algae. The only problem was that all my acros were stressing/dying within days of arrival. I don’t use them anymore and my corals don’t die anymore.
Thank you for the concern, I really appreciate all the responses I’ve received. I now have a better understanding of what ultimately went wrong.

At night we only have the royal blue LEDs on at 5% and you can’t even tell that they are on. The light isn’t strong enough for any adverse effects. “Existing evidence suggests that extended photoperiods, or worse, non-stop illumination should be avoided (this should not be construed to mean cycles mimicking daylight and weak moonlight are to be resisted).”
Can I Increase the Photoperiod and Provide Less Light in Order to Maintain ‘Natural’ Light Dosage?

We did a lot of research on both products before we decided to try and that was one of our concerns was if it was harmful to corals, inverts etc and nothing has been affected by using either. So far, it has done what it’s suppose to. If not used as instructed or using too much, especially using GFO, it will kill acroporas.

We have other SPS corals that aren’t affected or showing and signs of RTN/STN or bleaching. Now knowing the temperature difference I strongly believe that was a major part of why it died so quickly. It was an over night occurrence.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the concern, I really appreciate all the responses I’ve received. I now have a better understanding of what ultimately went wrong.

At night we only have the royal blue LEDs on at 5% and you can’t even tell that they are on. The light isn’t strong enough for any adverse effects. “Existing evidence suggests that extended photoperiods, or worse, non-stop illumination should be avoided (this should not be construed to mean cycles mimicking daylight and weak moonlight are to be resisted).”
Can I Increase the Photoperiod and Provide Less Light in Order to Maintain ‘Natural’ Light Dosage?

We did a lot of research on both products before we decided to try and that was one of our concerns was if it was harmful to corals, inverts etc and nothing has been affected by using either. So far, it has done what it’s suppose to. If not used as instructed or using too much, especially using GFO, it will kill acroporas.

We have other SPS corals that aren’t affected or showing and signs of RTN/STN or bleaching. Now knowing the temperature difference I strongly believe that was a major part of why it died so quickly. It was an over night occurrence.
Alrighty. Sounds like you got everything figured out. I will say I’ve had $200-1000 acropora frags show up at 65 degrees and go into 79 in an hour and never had a problem, so I seriously doubt that’s what killed your acropora. You either have something systematically wrong with your set up, dipped over aggressively or received a stressed coral on the brink of death. Good luck to you

Last edited:

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cant help it but you have a really nice looking trachy sitting on that rock. Let me know if you want to trade, i can give you a sps pack for it

OP
OP
4theluvofcoral

4theluvofcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant help it but you have a really nice looking trachy sitting on that rock. Let me know if you want to trade, i can give you a sps pack for it
Thanks! It was one of the most expensive coral purchases so far. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back