SPS is Half-White, Please Help

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I went to pick up a mushroom today and when I arrived the guy was generous enough had packed some free corals for me. He gave me zoas, a stylo, and a monti. I told him that I never owned sps but he said that the ones he gave me were quite easy. For some reason, half of the stylo is white and the same with the monti. I really don't know if I plan on keeping the monti or not since of how they grow and not knowing where to put it (suggestions please). All the other corals are doing fine though. The sytlo's white parts are still fuzzy looking and I really hope they are not bleached. They were also like this when I got them.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 1.50.52 AM.png

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had pieces like that when my stylo got really big and the bottom parts of didn't get enough light and lost color. Once I fragged them and exposed them evenly to light, color came back.

Maybe the guy who gave them to you had the same issue?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It possibly could be STN (slow tissue necrosis). Typically, I’ll cut off the healthy part and reglue it and hope it lives. It could also be RTN which is a faster killer.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks like bleaching rather than STN/RTN (as of right now anyways) due to the fact you can still see polyps and flesh on the skeleton. If it was like that in the previous tank, then it wasn't happy there and might recover in yours. I would just leave it alone and watch it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back