SPS MH question

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K. doing an SPS tank, probably adding 4x110 VHO on a 660 IceCap. Which combo of the below would most of you SPS tankers go with in addition to the VHO's? both will be 250W, Tank is only 20" deep.

IceCap or Sunlight supply electronic ballast

Radium 20K SE or Phoenix 14K DE
Thanks for the help
Vince

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot will depend on what type of reflector you use. The Phoenix will definately give you higher PAR on those ballasts, but the Radiums in a Lumenarc reflector will give good results as well. If you don't mind replacing bulbs 2X a year, the Radiums on HQI ballasts will give you great results in that depth of tank. I run EVC 14ks on my 17" deep tank on Lumenarcs and HQI ballasts, but really want to try the Radiums next. Good luck, you probably won't go wrong with either choice.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
electronic ballast, go with hamilton 14k or aquaconnect 14k

what size tank? probably dont even need the VHO's. but keep 2 if you want the actinic look.

OP
OP
workn4frags

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 4'x4'x20".

I've heard lots of people going with the Radiums on the sunlight supply electronic ballast. I've also seen lots using the IceCap.

I am planning on using the LumenArc or the LumenMax from Sunlight Supply. in either the DE or Mogul depending on which bulb I choose.

I currently have 250W DE HQI ballast running 14K Phoenix bulbs on my soft corals and like the look but want the SPS to really color up and pop. Thats why I want to add the VHO's.

Thanks for the suggestions.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you plan on running an electronic 250w ballast, and a mostly sps system, the hamilton 14k and aquaconnect 14k have MUCH better PAR results than the radium on electronic ballasts.

people can get away with running a radium 20k on electronic ballasts if they are running more of an lps/softy tank, b/c the PAR isn't nearly as good.

the majority of people who run radium bulbs, run them on HQI ballasts which overpower the bulb and bump the PAR up higher, but it severely decreases the life span of the bulb to 4-6months.

in your situation, you are much better off with aquaconnect 14k or hamilton 14k since they have higher PAR numbers on electronic ballasts.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 250W DE Phoenix 14K's (on PFO Mag ballasts) and VHO's, FWIW. Decent growth and have had great color, despite high nutrient (have lost color lately, but have been neglecting lately).

OP
OP
workn4frags

workn4frags

Cespitularia Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn,
good to know, I had it backwards where the radiums were better on a electronic, but your saying should be on a HQI - got it.

Gflat65
I have the PFO HQI with Phoenix 14Ks I like them so I might just switch out the pendents, they are to narrow. Looking to go with sunlight supply LumenMax 3's. I have one and it throws the spread of light almost twice as far.

What combo of VHO's are you running? is it a mix or strickly Actinic?

Thanks for all the help
Vince

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back