Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says starting percentage reduction so I'm actually not sure now o_O
Yes
This is just an example
If your blues were 100 and you set the starting acclimation to 20% for 20 days, then the software will reduce the 100% to 80% on day 1. Each day it will increase proportionally to the set time frame. So in this example it will increase each day by 1%

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
This is just an example
If your blues were 100 and you set the starting acclimation to 20% for 20 days, then the software will reduce the 100% to 80% on day 1. Each day it will increase proportionally to the set time frame. So in this example it will increase each day by 1%

Aight :) so I will set it to 25% except the UV. I will do 75% on that. I have it set for 4 weeks.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That “crap” is coral food and good bacteria. Even BRS did a nutrition video last week concluding that fish poop is the ideal food source. There is a balance though. The trick is to feed your fish just enough that they consume it all and then the crap can get absorbed by the corals and microfauna leaving very little to none that can fuel algae growth. BRS has also recommendeded “under” sizing our skimmers because they can over skim.
I’m not saying throw your skimmer in the garbage. I went to a 12 hour skimming period before I pulled mine out. I just remember the last time I cleaned the cup I thought, how can 4 cubes of frozen mysis (1 cube per day) produce this much skimmate.
Last Sunday my Hanna ultra low phosphorus checker read 3. So I removed the skimmer and today a week later, it read 1.
In regards to pH. I haven’t tested pH in over a year. If you’re worried about pH put your chaeto on a reverse lighting cycle. I did that. Not because I was worried about pH though. I did it to help increase nutrients. And don’t remove your skimmer. Just turn it off for a bit to raise your nutrients and “naturalize” your chemistry. I’m not totally sold on no skimmer. It’s just something I’m experimenting with. I just tested my nitrates and they went from 0.5 to 5. Soooo
The jury is still out. If they’re above 10 next week, the skimmer is getting turned back on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Acros are challenging in nature but in a stable environment are wonderful.
I would begin with an ICP-test such as triton lab test and use that last light schedule heavy on blue/violet and assure salinity is accurate and how os your flow?? I believe in moderate rather than blasting current.
On Montis, Calcium and water flow is key

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros are challenging in nature but in a stable environment are wonderful.
I would begin with an ICP-test such as triton lab test and use that last light schedule heavy on blue/violet and assure salinity is accurate and how os your flow?? I believe in moderate rather than blasting current.
On Montis, Calcium and water flow is key

For sure, acros are a lovely coral. They just aren’t for me right now considering I’m struggling to even keep a plating Monti happy lol. My salinity is 1.026 and I do have plenty of flow. I have 2 MP10’s both opposite each other on the side walls running at 60% anti sync. Calcium I always keep between 400-450. Currently it’s 430.

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Dan Kyle

Did anyone ever address this?

>My calcium is pretty steady and doesn’t require as much dosing as the alk does.

That's a sure warning sigh, Alk and calcium are used equally and if you're dosing 2 part you should base all dosing off of Alk and test calcium one a month just to make sure there's no dosing error. You don't have acros so this should be fairly easy, I was able to grow non acros in a newer tank.

If this were my tank I would stop all dosing of everything, double check Alk and Calcium are in a good range, and then watch Alk fall by testing it every day at the same time of day. If you are doing regular water changes be aware that depending on the salt and the percentage you could be spiking Alk.

With the corals looking like they do your Alk usage should be near 0.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Dan Kyle

Did anyone ever address this?

>My calcium is pretty steady and doesn’t require as much dosing as the alk does.

That's a sure warning sigh, Alk and calcium are used equally and if you're dosing 2 part you should base all dosing off of Alk and test calcium one a month just to make sure there's no dosing error. You don't have acros so this should be fairly easy, I was able to grow non acros in a newer tank.

If this were my tank I would stop all dosing of everything, double check Alk and Calcium are in a good range, and then watch Alk fall by testing it every day at the same time of day. If you are doing regular water changes be aware that depending on the salt and the percentage you could be spiking Alk.

With the corals looking like they do your Alk usage should be near 0.

Hope this helps!

Hi @markalot

Nobody addressed this with me, no. Ever since I’ve had the reef set up my alk has significantly been used more than calcium which I believe to be normal? I have never had to dose equal parts. If I was to do that I’d be upping my calcium higher than necessary as that takes a while see a drop. I originally did test my reef for 3 days, same time and worked it out that my reef was using 0.6 a day in alk alone so I dosed the appropriate amount to put that back, each day. Calcium I did the same. I checked every day for 3 days. I didn’t see a drop.

Even though my SPS don’t look grand I don’t think my alk usage would be near 0. Bear in mind I also have LPS. Acans, Torch and Long Tenticle plate coral. All of which are doing very well.

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also point out that from recent advice it seems that my system is too low in nutrients and lighting was an issue. Lighting has now been fixed and I have shut down my skimmer for a week to allow for some nutrients. I have not dosed any alk or calcium for a few days. Alk last time I measured was 8.6 but I’ve been advised to let that drop to around 7.6 so this is what I’m currently doing.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also say one of your issues is having only one small fish. There's simply not enough fish poop for coral (read:food) and that's certainly one of the issues for your sps.

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also say one of your issues is having only one small fish. There's simply not enough fish poop for coral (read:food) and that's certainly one of the issues for your sps.

I completely agree. Sadly though I recently had a velvet outbreak so I lost 6 fish. The goby is the only one that remains :(

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @markalot

Nobody addressed this with me, no. Ever since I’ve had the reef set up my alk has significantly been used more than calcium which I believe to be normal? I have never had to dose equal parts. If I was to do that I’d be upping my calcium higher than necessary as that takes a while see a drop. I originally did test my reef for 3 days, same time and worked it out that my reef was using 0.6 a day in alk alone so I dosed the appropriate amount to put that back, each day. Calcium I did the same. I checked every day for 3 days. I didn’t see a drop.

Even though my SPS don’t look grand I don’t think my alk usage would be near 0. Bear in mind I also have LPS. Acans, Torch and Long Tenticle plate coral. All of which are doing very well.

Sorry, what two part are you using? The only explanation is that your two part is not balanced or your testing is off. Calcium does not appear to move much but you are creating an imbalance unless the two parts is not equal in strength.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dankyle
This is what I use for alk, cal, and mag
https://www.marinedepot.com/Polypla...ments-Polyplab-PP30185-FIADAC-PP30185-vi.html
It’s perfectly balance and a little goes a long way. I only have to add 8-10 mls a day and I have 30 large acro frags and mini colonies some large anacropora colonies and large monti’s encrusting all over the place.

Hey! I use Red Sea two part. The powder. That polyplab one you mentioned... does that keep both alk and cal in check? If so that’s very good and makes it so much easier for me! I’d definitely grab a bottle.

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, what two part are you using? The only explanation is that your two part is not balanced or your testing is off. Calcium does not appear to move much but you are creating an imbalance unless the two parts is not equal in strength.

That’s alright, no need to apologise :) I know your only giving me your input and I would never argue with that. When I test alk it was definitely accurate and the daily usage was the same for 3 days. Calcium on the other hand, I’m not so sure. I’m not a big fan of the calcium test from Red Sea.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I use Red Sea two part. The powder. That polyplab one you mentioned... does that keep both alk and cal in check? If so that’s very good and makes it so much easier for me! I’d definitely grab a bottle.
It stabilizes all three in one product
I shake for 5 seconds and add 8-10 mls
The only negative about this particular product is it’s not suitable for an auto doser but tropic Marin makes a product called all for reef that addresses the big 3 and trace that is suitable for an auto doser

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stabilizes all three in one product
I shake for 5 seconds and add 8-10 mls
The only negative about this particular product is it’s not suitable for an auto doser but tropic Marin makes a product called all for reef that addresses the big 3 and trace that is suitable for an auto doser

That sounds ideal. Do you not worry about overdosing though? I mean dosing two separate parts I feel you have more control but with one product doing everything, is it not risky? I don’t use auto dosers and I don’t really plan on doing so anytime soon so I will definitely give this product a try purely for parameter stability.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds ideal. Do you not worry about overdosing though? I mean dosing two separate parts I feel you have more control but with one product doing everything, is it not risky? I don’t use auto dosers and I don’t really plan on doing so anytime soon so I will definitely give this product a try purely for parameter stability.
I had the same problem you had. My alk was dropping but my cal was staying high or even rising without dosing. I don’t know how the ONE does it exactly but writhin 10 days the big 3 were perfectly balanced and have stayed like that for 6 month. 7,400,1350-1450. My mag test is a little finicky. This product would be really expensive on larger tanks but it has been ideal for my 50 gallon cube. Each 500ml bottle is lasting about 6-7 weeks

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem you had. My alk was dropping but my cal was staying high or even rising without dosing. I don’t know how the ONE does it exactly but writhin 10 days the big 3 were perfectly balanced and have stayed like that for 6 month. 7,400,1350-1450. My mag test is a little finicky. This product would be really expensive on larger tanks but it has been ideal for my 50 gallon cube. Each 500ml bottle is lasting about 6-7 weeks

I find that reassuring knowing you have had the same problem but things have balanced out since you’ve been using the ONE. I’ve been using Red Sea foundation A B and C. It’s a powder and to be honest I’m not a fan so to hear about the ONE doing all three sounds great right now. Thanks for making me aware of it :)

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand ONE and TM products add cal and mag and there’s another compound that makes the bacteria release bicarbonate. I have not used the TM but you can find a little more info in one of the BRStv videos on adding elements. I like that the bacteria slowly add the bicarbonate. This way the there’s not a shock when I go from 6.5-7. It’s more like 6.5-6.6 then an hour later 6.6-6.7 and so on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That’s 80W now :)

5F9C543E-B761-4A84-9844-F3EE3EFFF633.png
This is about where I keep my primes at

Back